Recent Topics

1 Apr 03, 2008 17:26    

EdB wrote:

By the way that is the LAST time I will edit a post that was freely and fairly made. Laurent C. posted a url to a publicly available blog. If for some reason having your link on the internet is a problem then don't have a website because websites get linked on websites >:-<

EdB wrote:

I have no intention of promoting the idea that someone asking us to edit someone else's post is acceptable. It will not happen again. Period.

This topic is closed as it is obviously going nowhere.

I have a query relating to the admin of the site.

The issue arose during my query http://forums.b2evolution.net//viewtopic.php?t=15062

In it I entered an IP number of someone who had just registered. The registration seemed odd and I was wondering if it was spam.

Apparently it was someone just browsing who had seen a link to my site and just registered - I'm only just setting up my site right now.

Well they wanted their IP removed and it was done by admin before I could do it.

Then they published mine, without malice, which previously I had removed.

I then asked for my URL to be removed.

It was done and i thought "great", "it wasn't a spammer" and "the IP and URL have been removed".

Neither of us wanted much exposed on the forum.

However EdB (see quote above) seems very upset about this and I'm not sure why or if what he says makes sense.

Sure it doesn't seem sensible to willynilly edit other people's post, but then that's what moderators can do, and I see no reason why a request can't be made and carried out when there are no objections from the concerned parties.

The IP I posted was removed without reference to me at the request of the owner and I have no problem with such issues, it being up to the moderator. By the way I would have done it myself if asked.

Likewise, my URL was removed without asking the poster. I asked both the poster and admin; and admin did it first. Equally the poster had no problem with it.

So where am I where's the problem :-/

2 Apr 03, 2008 18:01

So if I post http://innervisions.org.uk/ as an interesting blog that I've subscribed to and someone comes along and wants that link removed should it be? If so WHY? Under what conditions would you decide that the moderators here shall edit a post? Shall it be edited because the offended party happens to own the domain name? What if you are a blogger on a blog that happens to be linked here? What if it is a link to a blog that supports views you find morally objectionable but are not hate sites? What if the person who posted it notes that it is adult-related content but someone asks that the post be edited because it contains adult-related content?

Here's the deal: moderators here, as in every phpbb forum in the world, have certain powers and abilities that are granted by the forum administrator. It is at the discretion of the forum administrators who becomes a moderator and what forums they can or can not moderate. In this case our moderators are selected by, primarily, significant contributions to both b2evolution in general and the forums in particular. With the added permissions come, of course, additional responsibility. How much time do the moderators here spend answering questions that have been asked over and over? How much time do the moderators here spend moving threads to more appropriate forums? How much time do moderators here spend keeping the forums spam-free? Allow me to answer: enough time that I am completely unwilling to entertain the idea that anyone asking us to edit someone else's post will, for any reason whatsoever, have any reasonable expectation that it will be done.

We decide what we edit, and why.

A post by a spammer that makes it through will be edited RUTHLESSLY and without any respect by me or any other moderator.

A post that contains personal information about another user will be edited to protect the individual's privacy.

A post that contains database access information about a user's blog will be edited to protect the user's installation.

Now we need to entertain the idea of editing posts just because it contains a link to a blog? What crap is that??? But I went ahead and edited the post that had a link to your blog, then clearly stated to anyone who ever reads that thread that this type of editing won't happen again. Now we get to "discuss" this?

pffffft!

EDIT: here we see another drawback to editing posts. Just sayin'...

3 Apr 03, 2008 19:04

*looks at post times* .... yay thank god I was in a field at the time ( I have several worms for witnesses :| ), I'm innocent :D

¥

4 Apr 03, 2008 19:08

Ok EdB

So you've posted my blog URL and its back up here. I've given up on the idea of it not being there so that's Ok. I won't be asking you to remove it.

The conditions for a moderator to edit a post are theirs to decide I am not making any rules for anyone, however if there is a request I don't see why it can't be considered. And then if it is carried out I don't expect to be slagged off for asking and be told that I shouldn't have a website if I don't want my URL posted.

I initially asked the poster, after a moderator removed their IP no. to remove mine. It seemed a perfectly innocent thing to ask, and still does.

I also accept that you and others do an immense amount of work on the forum but that doesn't seem to be a justification for being rude. I wasn't rude to you.

I have spent a lot of time trying to help those I can too, here and there and sure sometimes I get frustrated when people just don't get it.

So I'm not saying you should have done anything differently, but maybe next time you will.

I'm just questioning where the anger comes from when you are a moderator. It seems an unpleasant thing to have to be angry at those you are trying to help. As I said I've done lots of that. Usually not in public and hopefully I try to avoid such unpleasantness.

And no you don't have to discuss this. You are more than a moderator.

I'm happy to accept your anger but It doesn't go unchallenged.

Peas and loaves

5 Apr 03, 2008 19:17

Thanks ¥åßßå

I see you have a sense of humour. I should spend more time in the fields too.

http://elf.calstock.org.uk Picture of my domain
http://rogerlovejoy.co.uk 10 year old site, but the middle picture is only a few. I'm posting from under that peice of canvas to the right which covers my tatty caravan with the lid opening like a tin can.

Nice stove lots of wood and photovoltaics have kept me going here and about for the last 20 years.

Say hello to the worms for me.

6 Apr 03, 2008 19:22

Lol, only in England can the ground be as grey as the sky .... I hope your domain is one of the green bits ;)

¥

7 Apr 03, 2008 20:09

You assume much. Nothing wrong with that. People do it all the time. Assume as much as you choose to about my motivations and feelings yah? Whether right or wrong, you should consider that attempting to keep links to a webpage off webpages is an unrealistic expectation. If you're willing to accept that simple premise then it isn't so far to go to accept that asking others to attend to the minutiae of detail that would support such a goal is also unrealistic.

Life is Good. This is boring, but Life is Good.

Be well friend!

8 Apr 03, 2008 20:20

hi ¥åßßå

Yeap it's the green bit.

But if you google earth for Calstock, Cornwall you will see it is covered by a grey cloud. I'm out of there 2km east.

:)

9 Apr 03, 2008 20:36

Hi Edb

EdB wrote:

You assume much. Nothing wrong with that. People do it all the time. Assume as much as you choose to about my motivations and feelings yah? Whether right or wrong, you should consider that attempting to keep links to a webpage off webpages is an unrealistic expectation. If you're willing to accept that simple premise then it isn't so far to go to accept that asking others to attend to the minutiae of detail that would support such a goal is also unrealistic.

You're right about assumptions, I suppose they are connected to thinking in time.

To labour the point I am not trying to keep URLs off of websites. I just wanted that one removed as I was testing it and was trying to find how anyone got to a day old site.

As I said I don't mind it being there now and I'm glad Laurent found it as interesting have evolved.

My big issue was with your attitude, but that seems to be a bit softer now so would you like another :cookie: and that I wasn't prepared for a put-down on the basic that I asked for soemthing. Still I learn as you said not to make assumptions. Maybe I will get a putdown maybe I won't.

Worms eh!

On the issue of Good and Life, the two don't relate. Life is eternal dare I suggest whereas what we do is not related. We kill to survive. Carrots, cows or cannibals we kill those we want to eat and try to enslave the rest out of insecurity. There's nought good about live as an existence.
Good is just what each of us likes and I do like carrots to eat, worms for the garden and this forum for idle chatter. So if i get banned for being a pain in the arse I can 'live' with it, or should I say find some other avenue open for exploitation to cover up the goulishness of my existence.

Blood and Wine

Thank you again for all your help and lots of good karma to you if you want it.

10 Apr 03, 2008 21:51

amoun wrote:

But maybe I should say thank you again for all your help

If you don't I will ;)

Thank you EdB for all the help you give on a daily basis ... even if you can be a grumpy sod at times ;)

amoun : reality is, if you connect to the internet then expect that everything you say/do/link/upload/create/boringly long list of shit ... is 100% public and even if it's changeable, google cache will bite your arse ... link your own stuff, link public stuff, don't link other peoples private stuff ( ip/email .... unless they're a spammer, in which case no holds barred ) without their prior consent.

An example, a very good, and old friend of mine called me by my real name on a forum ! ( don't worry, I went blew his head of with an over/under purdy ... far superior to the crap that yanks call shotguns ) ... weirdly enough EdB pm'd him with "sort yer shit out, if he/she wanted his/her name made public he/she would have posted it" ...... buggered if I could understand why EdB was confused as to my sex, what with my real name being Dick :|

¥

11 Apr 03, 2008 22:50

Yes of course, I'll edit out the maybe :)

Thanks ¥åßßå

12 Apr 03, 2008 23:29

lost marbles wrote:

So if I post http://innervisions.org.uk/ as an interesting blog that I've subscribed to

lmfao, I just noticed your edit, I'm gonna sue yer arse for whoring my blog :|

And then I'm gonna email yah the number for a really good shrink :|

¥

13 Apr 04, 2008 12:26

¥å ßßå I've seen your site. Somebody stuck it on my default evilblog when I got it. Lucky me

So you're in for it now, when I get either some sort of proper modem or a new comp where I can use Ubuntu to connect, I know where the 'experts' are to hassle. :>

14 Apr 04, 2008 14:45

¥åßßå wrote:

And then I'm gonna email yah the numbers for next weeks lottery and a really good shrink :|

¥

Gee that's rather grand of you, but hey shrinkage I got plenty of. See all my shrinks keep telling me to go somewhere else and even set up the first appointment for me :D

15 Apr 04, 2008 19:32

Thank god there's enough shrinks in USA for them to be able to phone one that's never heard of you :D

¥

Form is loading...