Recent Topics

1 Apr 04, 2008 22:13    

Hello:

I'm not sure how to fix this, but on one of the bloggers the post/text is bolded.

http://www.rhrplus.com/b2evolution/blogs/index.php?blog=9

This particular problem wasn't there yesterday, and it's not on the other bloggers' pages.

What is strange about this is that when you hit Read More the entire text is normal. Another strangeness is that the post for Contributing Members is on all the blogs and Kara's is the only one that is bolded; even on the sidebar the text is bolded! The bolding is seen in Firefox and IE. Go figure!

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks

2 Apr 04, 2008 22:52

Change skins and see what's happening in a different skin. If the problem goes away then it clearly is in the skins/yourskin/ folder. If the problem persists then it is NOT in your skins/yourskin/ folder, which means it might be in your "Adventures in "polypharmacy"" post.

http://www.rhrplus.com/b2evolution/blogs/index.php/All/?blog=1&paged=2 shows it as does the page you linked, but on a different post. In fact on the page I linked it is on a post that is not bolded on the page you linked, but in both cases it follows the Adventures post. Doing a view source on those pages shows TONS of strong tags opening and closing. Anyway knowing that the problem follows a specific post, you might want to open that post up and see if there is anything weird about it. I have no idea what, but it's a clue worth following.

But absolutely the best test known is to change skins and evaluate the nature of the problem after that.

3 Apr 04, 2008 22:53

Hey that's cool! It edited out a word I pasted in from the title of a post.

It loves me so much it is willing to help improve me by censoring me :D

4 Apr 04, 2008 23:10

Hi EdB :D

I had looked into that particular blogger before I posted here. There's nothing in the post itself that would cause it. Also, why would the sidebar show bolding. I tried your suggestion, of changing out the skin -- nothing worked and I tried 2 different ones on Kara's Blog.

The link you provided on the Home Page shows bolding in the sidebar, too! Strange. I didn't see that, on the 2nd page - thanks. I changed the skin and it was still bolded.

I'm completely at a loss about this. I'm not so sure it is a skin problem. I used Nifty Corners and changed out some colors and background. I don't feel this would be the problem. There hasn't been a problem up until now.

5 Apr 04, 2008 23:20

Does Kara compose some posts in a different WYSIWYG editor?

6 Apr 04, 2008 23:23

Everything AFTER the particular post is bold, and the sidebar comes after the posts. Note that the footer is also bolded ... unless you're on a page without that particular post. http://www.rhrplus.com/b2evolution/blogs/index.php/All/?blog=1 and http://www.rhrplus.com/b2evolution/blogs/index.php/All/?blog=1&paged=3 for example.

So if it stays bold with a new skin then it is not the skin, but always make the checks based on if that particular post is on the multi-post page or not because that is the only thing consistent when the problem is present. But that still does not explain *why* it is happening.

GOT IT! http://www.rhrplus.com/b2evolution/blogs/index.php?blog=9&title=adventures-in-polypharmacy shows the problem AFTER the post, but only if the "read more" is not activated. Note that the sidebar and footer are bolded yah? So check out http://www.rhrplus.com/b2evolution/blogs/index.php?blog=9&title=adventures-in-polypharmacy&more=1 and like magic the bolding is gone.

Therefore the problem happens AFTER the "read more" link on the "Adventures in .... " post. Therefore there is something weird about that post. You should open it in edit mode and make sure there are no extra bits near the <!--more--> part, and save it - even if you make no changes.

Another thing to do, if you've already reviewed the <!--more--> bit and saved the post again on principal and still have the problem, is to go to your Tools -> misc subtab and "delete pre-rendered item cache". I have no idea what that means but it seems to do ... something.

7 Apr 04, 2008 23:24

Wow this "editing out bad words" thing is weird. It looks like the link will click properly though so I guess it's just weird and not a problem.

8 Apr 04, 2008 23:25

Hello There, John!

No. We only have the Simple & Expert that came with the program. I wanted to use Tiny, but it doesn't work.

I made an edit to the above post, because the problem still exists on the Home Page (2) in the sidebar. I had stated that it resolved, but that's not true. The problems still exists.

We have one plug in with the editor and that's the one that EdB provided where a person can add color to a blog.

9 Apr 04, 2008 23:39

Hello:

Thanks EdB -- I did the cache thing that was suggested.

I also went back into the blog. The above post [Aventures...] had bolding at Read More. I removed the bolding/strong script and saved it. Apparently it did the trick.

For some reason, when the Str button is used with <!more> an issue comes up with bolding everywhere. Odd.

Great detective work, thanks! :D

10 Apr 04, 2008 23:41

Cool. Thanks for reporting what you found because yeah this was VERY odd.

13 Apr 10, 2008 01:56

Do a view source and you'll see a lot more than an open tag. The tag is replicated on every line after the <strong><!--readmore--></strong> bit and in many cases it is opened and closed immediately, or at least that's what I saw with regular view source in Firefox.

The odd part was seeing it happen without knowing the solution. Now that it's known if someone else comes along it'll be "yeah just don't do that". I love it when stuff that was a stumper becomes easy :)

14 Apr 10, 2008 22:53

Hi:

EdB you're absolutely right....

The tag is replicated on every line after the <strong><!--readmore--></strong> bit and in many cases it is opened and closed immediately, or at least that's what I saw with regular view source in Firefox.

That is exactly what happened. Like you said, at least, we know about it and that it was something rather simple. :D

Tosca

Form is loading...