Recent Topics

1 Jun 22, 2004 16:46    

After updating to 9.0.8, I lost the changes I had made (of course). When I reimplemented them, I came up with a more generic way of doing what I had been doing (specifically, adding quotes to the top of the page).

So what I did was add a bit of code to the skin that calls a new function. The function looks to see if a module exists and runs it if it does (does nothing if the module does not exist)

The idea being that the skins get peppered with module calls: module 1 at the top of the blog items, module2 at the top of the navsidebar, module3 in the middle of the sidebar, module4 at the bottom of the items.

If the user wants, they can drop a module into their directory (with the right name, of course), and it would start working immediately with no other changes required (since it is just another php file, it can have access to all the normal globals and stuff).

Its kind of like plugins, but more powerful in some ways, and more limited in others. I use it to run a quoter and to put an "Add New Entry" link at the top of the navbar.

Anyway, since I am not an official developer for b2e (yet? :-), I figured I would babble about it here to see what people thought.

I am going to zip up some code and post it on my pages later if anyone is interested.

Of course, if you are not interested, just ignore me :p

2 Jun 22, 2004 16:52

wubwub, I totally get your idea. I had the same plan a few months ago. Now I have an even crazier plan about this. Even more powerful.

If you're serious about implementing something like this, please contact me directly and tell me about your PHP coding. Make me feel safe about your quality of implementation (core features involved in the new plan! :p) and I am willing to pass this over to you.

3 Jun 22, 2004 17:02

fplanque wrote:

wubwub, I totally get your idea. I had the same plan a few months ago. Now I have an even crazier plan about this. Even more powerful.

If you're serious about implementing something like this, please contact me directly and tell me about your PHP coding. Make me feel safe about your quality of implementation (core features involved in the new plan! :p) and I am willing to pass this over to you.

I just emailed you with basically the same post (including the zip... tho I did not include the code to create my quote table... :-/)

I do not know about my quality of implementation, but it works for me and the basic "how to call/do modules" code is almost toooo simple :)

Feedback and implementation ideas appreciated. Glad to be able to find a way to help out :)

Form is loading...