Recent Topics

1 Dec 16, 2008 02:19    

It doesn't make sense. In the theme files, they use the T_ function, but on my blog (both with the basic translation I created today and with other language packs I've downloaded), some strings just won't translate. Mostly, this is for the comment form, but other strings (like "What is RSS?") have the same problem. I would send in patches, if I knew what on Earth was going on.

2 Dec 17, 2008 05:13

The "What is RSS" string is hard-coded and cannot be translated. There are also some untranslatable strings in backoffice and in skin, but I think we can live with them ;)

If you want you can find the string (copy it and use search in files) then wrap it with

T_('The string to translate')

and add it to _global.php

'The string to translate' => "Translated string",

3 Jan 16, 2009 21:51

sam2kb wrote:

The "What is RSS" string is hard-coded and cannot be translated.

So it is. I wasn't quite up on widgets when I wrote that message.

sam2kb wrote:

There are also some untranslatable strings in backoffice and in skin, but I think we can live with them ;)

Eh, I converted my WordPress theme to a b2evolution skin and it worked pretty well. Obviously, the POT file is outdated a bit, so the directions weren't 100% correct, but I got it working.

I don't think "living with" untranslated strings is particularly good. It's incomplete and its lackings really make the advertised advantage of being multilingual overstated (to put it mildly).

4 Jan 16, 2009 22:43

There are less than 5 or so untranslatable strings in current b2evo 2.4.6, it's no a lot.

5 Jan 26, 2009 19:10

sam2kb wrote:

There are less than 5 or so untranslatable strings in current b2evo 2.4.6, it's no a lot.

Oh, OK. Maybe someone interested will send in patches one of these days.

6 Jan 27, 2009 00:19

I've nothing to add to this, but ANY untranslated bits that show up on the public side is simply wrong. Back office too for that matter - especially given how easy it is to put the T_('') around it eh?

Francois once spoke of how some bits in the back office aren't translatable because they are very rarely seen and not so easy to translate. Okay cool, but "What is RSS?" is right up there in public!

7 Jan 27, 2009 00:29

"archives" used to be another, dunno if it still is ... may be a historical error

¥

9 Feb 09, 2009 02:49

¥åßßå wrote:

"archives" used to be another, dunno if it still is ... may be a historical error

¥

If I understand what you mean, it translated fine for me.

10 Dec 31, 2010 12:05

Using version 4.0.3.

The breadcrumbs text You are here is missing from the translation.

Also the text What is RSS is still not being translated.

In Blog settings -> User perms the dropdown Edit posts/user level the options are in English.

11 Dec 31, 2010 12:40

Maybe they are not missing but are "untranslatable"

This is also a few of those "little but annoying" things that goes unfixed with every release.

Maybe we should list untranslatable strings somewhere for future reference.

12 Feb 13, 2011 16:58

I still do not understand why a phrase like "Welcome to your new blog's dashboard!" is still not translated. That phrase is in the po file and I believe that is only visible in one place.

Why is that phrase in the po-file when it is not used anyway?

13 Feb 13, 2011 17:57

Forgot to say I´m working on a new translation for swedish. 81% is done. No fuzzy strings are left but I noticed that when I tried to edit an old string with grammatical errors (not marked fuzzy) it does not update in admin.

14 Feb 13, 2011 19:02

Did you generate _global.php from your PO file?

15 Feb 13, 2011 20:28

sam2kb wrote:

Did you generate _global.php from your PO file?

No, I did not. I missed that. After realizing that, it took me a while to figure out I should click on "Show translation info" to find that extract link.

Thanks for the hint. :)

I´m not sure if I will be able to translate everything, but would like to contribute with what I have done. Where can I submit the updated language pack? At http://manual.b2evolution.net/Translation it says I should contribute my translation at http://b2evolution.net/downloads/language-packs.html and follow the instructions, but I can´t find the instructions.

Form is loading...