Recent Topics

1 Mar 11, 2009 06:41    

A feature request to lift up the limitation of the short name field under the Blog settings.

It is currently restricted to 12 characters only. True, it is supposed to be a "short" name, but it is only applicable to English. For non-English characters, we have to escape it like so:

&#24515 &#36947 for 心道 which means xīn dào (pronunciation: shin-tahw) or escaping it - x&#299 n d&#224 o

This "心道" is a "short" name of "The Way of the Heart/Soul" :p but escaping it as "
&#24515 &#36947 " is over the 12-character limit of the short name field. ;)

* Note: I have to remove the semi-colon ';' so the system will not convert it to it's proper character.

2 Mar 11, 2009 06:52

OMG that is freaking awesome/crappy! I hacked 246 to take 15 characters, but never did I imagine it would take 15*4 (or 15*5?) characters to get my "15 visible" characters.

shortname should carry the same limit as longname and let the users figure out why shortname should be short. And both should be really freaking long!

3 Mar 11, 2009 09:09

EdB wrote:

OMG that is freaking awesome/crappy! I hacked 246 to take 15 characters, but never did I imagine it would take 15*4 (or 15*5?) characters to get my "15 visible" characters.

shortname should carry the same limit as longname and let the users figure out why shortname should be short. And both should be really freaking long!

I was going to edit it and just push for a total switch to Unicode, specifically UTF-8, as the default encoding of b2evolution when I saw your reply.

心道 = 2 Characters, does it qualify for the short name field?
Yes, only if b2evo is converted to UTF-8, especially the DB connection and tables. Currently, those 2 Characters gets destroyed unless the end-user knows what to do, but most do not know (or is afraid). The option left then is to type in it's character reference value. Again, it qualifies as "short", it has only 2 characters.

And I highly doubt some "pure-English" speaker will put in the short name field something this long: "World Wide Web Consortium Unofficial Blog". Because once s/he does that, s/he'll see the reason why the field is called "short name".

Anyway, I believe the time for b2evolution to switch to UTF-8 is now. OR at least provide an option during installation (for new blogs) and during upgrade (for existing blogs) to switch to UTF-8.

(Since we're talking about the installation script, might as well add a new field to change the table prefix during installation as well.)

4 Mar 18, 2009 01:48

b2evo does utf8 NOW. You just have to use an UTF-8 locale.

Form is loading...