Recent Topics

1 Aug 22, 2009 02:36    

I am having another YouTube issue so decided to post in this thread, although it's not quite the same problem. I am using 2.4.7.

I have the newer Video plugin, and am using the embed code (like I have been all along) but this is what appears in my post:

[video:youtube:4lGrYO3I5Ew W:425 H:344]

The only thing I can think is that the video isn't fully processed yet - but in the past, the plugin still put a video placeholder in the post, which then turned into the real video when it was completely processed.

My old posted videos with the same type of link still work fine.

ETA: Nope, the video is now processed and it's still not working. I am trying to find a solution in the forums but no luck yet.

2 Aug 21, 2009 20:01

I just tested this with the standard youtube button and it displays and plays fine.... W & H not required.

[video:youtube:4lGrYO3I5Ew]

3 Aug 21, 2009 20:20

Could it be something new that happened to my browser, even though I don't think I changed anything?

If I take out the H and W it still doesn't work.

4 Aug 21, 2009 20:28

A link to a failed attempt would probably be useful.

I'm sure John would appreciate it ;)

¥

5 Aug 21, 2009 21:15

Okay, now I am going insane. I did a test post and the video worked just fine. But the post where I want the video? Doesn't work.

<Deleted both links since I solved the problem. Solution in next post.>

6 Aug 21, 2009 21:19

Okay, on a whim I tried something... In my original post, I had [try and] in the text.

So as we do most every night, we sat down to [try and] feed Owen. He’s been liking the mashed bananas, and we’ve been mixing it with Oatmeal & Banana cereal…but he’s still not been thrilled with eating it. Meaning, he will eat some, but he’s not really that into it and it’s somewhat of a challenge to get him to eat. We’ve just been assuming all along that he’s just not quite ready for “real” food. I mean, we’ve been trying for 2+ months now—everything from cereal to veggies—and he hasn’t been thrilled with anything.

So tonight we sat down with his normal small portion of cereal and banana (completely guesstimating at around 2-3 Tbs.), and Tom was feeding him while I was prepping dinner. It seemed to be going well (from all the “Good boys” I was hearing), so I poked my head in and saw that Owen was HUNGRILY eating. Opening his mouth eagerly and practically slurping down the food! He was also enjoying looking at and playing with dad’s watch while he was eating—so we thought maybe we found the trick to get him to eat.

[video:youtube:4lGrYO3I5Ew W:425 H:344]

I took out the []s and the video worked.

I suppose there is a technical reason for this...??? Sometimes I just don't want to use () and want to use [] instead...but it apparently screws up the video code.

But at least I solved it.

7 Aug 22, 2009 02:32

I'm going to split this off to plugin support because the aftermarket one isn't the same as the pre-market one. Wait maybe not. I think I left support for "no W no H" bits in the aftermarket upgrade version.

Lemme see what happens when I try to post that video...

8 Aug 22, 2009 02:35

Ah now that I read everything I see you've got the solution.

Gonna split this though and consider it a bug report on the aftermarket plugin. Cuz I just had a similar issue but I forget the solution. I couldn't alter what was in the post because another renderer needed to work on [something] so I changed the priorities around. But I don't recall the details. It was either make videoplugplus go first ... or last. ;)

Anyway the bug seems to be "if there is a [ in the post that isn't a video thing then it gets all messed up".

Splitting in three ... two ... one

9 Aug 22, 2009 02:42

Okay now I see the root of all evil in this. Changing plugin priorities would not have caused a solution for you because nothing would have removed the [ character, and when it found that the bit after [ didn't = youtube it gave up looking.

Solution to the aftermarket is imminent. Which means I dunno when because I've also got a paid job that is now kicking my butt because the client likes IE and the bits in the back office disappear off the right side.

10 Aug 22, 2009 12:55

Wow, I discovered a bug! Good thing I don't use brackets too often...so it's not a HUGE deal!

11 Aug 22, 2009 18:44

hudson2001 wrote:

Wow, I discovered a bug!

Feels good when the reply isn't "this is a hosting problem" huh? :D

¥

12 Aug 22, 2009 19:19

I think I fixed it but I dunno. I guess instead of just patting myself on the back I should upload it and, you know, actually try it ;)

Coffee first though. Then try to figure out why bits in custom fields from a plugin get wiped out if there is an error that makes a red box when editing.

13 Aug 22, 2009 19:25

Your regex is probably something like ~\[videoplug=([^\]]+?)\]~ needs to be more like : ~\[videoplug=([a-z0-9]*?)~i

¥

14 Aug 22, 2009 20:13

Nah even dumber. It went "if the X number of characters located Y number of characters after finding [ is 'youtube' then render youtube stuff". I'd have to dig up a prior copy, which I could do, but don't want to, because I'm trying to figure out if EditURI matters at all, so a text version of code will have to do. Anyway now it says very simply "if you find in the content "[video:youtube then render youtube stuff". Like this

if( strpos($content,'[video:youtube') !== false ) {

I'm fairly certain that will work... Like, it won't choke on finding a [ that isn't an embedded video, and it shouldn't choke if the first character is [ as part of an embedded video.

More stuff to fix in it too. Little stuff. Like I have visual separators on the toolbar, but if you don't have any of the bits after a separator selected then why have the separator? And quite a few folk have asked for various educational sources get added, not to mention my own desire to have TED in there. The problem is I STILL can't automagically make stuff that wants to be embed tags work with object tags.

And yes I've got the two times you showed how marked in my watched topics. The problem for me is figuring out which of the watched topics it is each time. So when I get a bug to do that stuff and start searching through my watched topics I see something shiny and pretty and go oooh that's shiny and pretty and get sidetracked until I realize I forgot to pay the bills. Again.

Hey hudson2001: feel like being a tester for the so-far bits?

15 Aug 22, 2009 21:01

Sure, I can try it. I might not get to it within the hour but certainly a day or two (dang 6-month old keeps me hopping). :)

Plus I have to relearn how to upgrade plugins, as I only do it like once a year. :)

16 Aug 22, 2009 23:31

I'll PM you a link to a downloadable zip fairly soon.

The basics are going to be like this: SAVE A COPY OF WHAT YOU HAVE NOW in your plugins/videoplug_plugin folder cuz if the next one breaks something you'll want the current one to go back to.

Download the zip I send you and unzip it on your computer. There will be one file in it - _videoplug.plugin.php which is the do-it file.

Open up your favorite FTP program, which might be your host's cpanel "file manager" feature.

Delete from your server /path/to/blog/installation/plugins/videoplug_plugin/_videoplug.plugin.php

Upload the one you just unzipped.

After that you would probably need to visit your "Tools -> misc" subtab to "delete prerendered cache thingie", then make sure your current videos in posts work. If so then see if you can break it ;)

I'll be trying the same thing, but honestly I gotta get busy on this "it deletes stuff if there is an error", which I haven't touched because I've been all excited about making photoblog in 2.4.7.works work the way I see some working in 3.3.1.omg, which is way better but also takes smarts. And the error is really a show-stopper right now. For "the ed show" anyway.

17 Aug 24, 2009 14:06

I just wanted to let you know you would be proud of me. Yesterday I deleted the video plugin php file to prepare for testing the beta. Except (as you now know) I couldn't unzip the beta. And I didn't think anything else about it.

Fast forward to this morning when I notice none of my videos are working. And I freaked out for a moment. But instead of running here to post, I tried to calmly think it through - and figured it out!

First, I didn't put the php file back after I realized I wasn't going to be able to beta test right then. Second, after I put the file back and my videos STILL didn't work, I freaked out again - but then realized I had to go in an (re)enable the plug in. Now everything works again. Phew.

So at least now I will know what to do when the time comes for me to do the beta. :)

18 Aug 29, 2009 03:52

After emailing hudson2001 2 failed versions I think I gave up on what amounted to junkmailing her. AND I'm pretty sure I did finally cure the problem. Now to get other stuff cured in it and get my officially open for business web set up so I can release it good and proper :)

Form is loading...