Recent Topics

1 Sep 03, 2009 00:21    

My b2evolution Version: 3.3

Hi Comrades:

I spent a bit of time upgrading my version of b2, then uploading a skin called "Natural Remedy". I had it all working, or so I thought, until a couple of days ago I checked it and was getting a weird error that made little sense.

In frustration I uploaded a new skin and it all seemed to be fine after the first try. However, today, I go to my site and get a strange message again. Check it out at www.atheiststate.ca. The skin IS set in Blog Properties. At least it seems to be.

I can access my site with www.atheiststate.ca/b2evolution then clicking the "Blogs" link. This is obviously not ideal.

Now, I did change this parameter: $baseurl = 'http://www.atheiststate.ca/';

Oh, another very odd thing, is that today, when I go to the "Skin" tab in Blog Settings, and look to the skin I installed to replace the seemingly not working Natural Remedy one, it now shows as "no skinshot available". This is exactly the same discrepancy that Natural Remedy was throwing when I was getting that "unexpected error" message.

Is this because it is now selected as the default skin?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Jiggus

2 Sep 03, 2009 01:27

I think what is happening is that since your installation is in /b2evolution/ folder it doesn't like that your $baseurl claims the installation is in your server root.

Try taking all the files and folders that are in /b2evolution/ and moving them up one level. The only other way to get 'er done is through some .htaccess trickery that I know nothing about.

3 Sep 03, 2009 17:51

Thanks for trying EdB, but no luck. I moved it up, I tried different folders for the baseURL statement and always the same error.

4 Sep 03, 2009 17:56

Further, when I moved the entire b2 installation to the root, I could no longer access the blog via www.atheiststate.ca/b2evolution then clicking on the "blogs" link.

Any other ideas?

5 Sep 03, 2009 18:02

Another discovery: I can access the page I want to by typing in the ever so convenient www.atheiststate.ca/b2evolution/blogs.

I thought that changing the baseURL thing would allow people to just type in the main URL of a site. Why is it not working? Oh me oh my!

6 Sep 03, 2009 23:25

Jiggus wrote:

Another discovery: I can access the page I want to by typing in the ever so convenient www.atheiststate.ca/b2evolution/blogs

Okay that explains everything. Your $baseurl has to be the path to your installation. So what you had was not yourdomain.com/b2evolution/{{all the stuff}}. What you actually had was yourdomain.com/b2evolution/blogs/{{all the stuff}}. Again, .htaccess can do some trickery, but the typical installation has $baseurl matching the path to {{all the stuff}}.

Jiggus wrote:

I thought that changing the baseURL thing would allow people to just type in the main URL of a site. Why is it not working? Oh me oh my!

Um... maybe because you randomly decided "this will do that" without concern for what it *actually* does?

If you want b2evolution to power your entire domain you can have that. Just put {{all the stuff}} in the root level. That means (or meant) everything that was in /b2evolution/blogs/ goes up to the root level. Alternatively you can search the forums and work through getting .htaccess to do it's trickery. Easiest and most reliable is to simply have {{all the stuff}} at the root level.

7 Sep 03, 2009 23:57

OK, OK. I've tried this now several times. It does not work.

EdB, YOU were the one that pointed me to a link on this forum that instructed me to change the $baseurl variable to one that would -- supposedly -- allow one to use a so-called "short" URL.

I am not stupid, but it is quite apparent that you and some others here think that I cannot even comprehend your directives. I can, I did, and they do not help me. I give up.

Fussing over arcane code snippets and being treated like a dummy on the forum do not really endear the software to me.

I am going to try SPIP.

Form is loading...