Recent Topics

1 Sep 07, 2004 21:35    

I've been looking through all the comments in the files, forums, and evoSkins tuts and such, but can't figure out how to style the bloglist buttons. I've started my template based on the clean skin. Normally the clean skin doesn't show the buttons to access the other blogs, so I added

<center><?php 
		/**
	 	* --------------------------- BLOG LIST INCLUDED HERE -----------------------------
	 	*/
			require( dirname(__FILE__).'/_bloglist.php' );
		// ----------------------------- END OF BLOG LIST ---------------------------- ?>
	</center>

After my custom header stuff in the pageHeader div class and before the bPosts div. There are two classes in the clean.css, a.BlogButton and a.BlogButtonCurr -- Both of which seem to affect the the border, text size, face, and everything EXCEPT the colour! For some reason, the face shows up as orange, but nowhere in my css files is any face set to orange... also, there is roll-over css on there too and I have no idea where that is coming from at all. Is there some sort of funky over-riding presedence stuff happening here? I checked _bloglist.php to see if it imported any styling and obviously it doesn't, so I'm left wondering where this orange face is coming from and where are these roll-over styles coming from?

You can get a visual at http://www.simpleninja.com/test/blogs/ and choose the simpleninja skin to see what I mean.

I'm tempted now to just build a skin from scratch, but am worried I may encounter the very same problem.

2 Sep 07, 2004 21:39

I'm pressed to think that maybe it's the a.link etc styles, but it doesn't quite match up. Especially the orange. :-/

3 Sep 07, 2004 23:34

Yeah what a mystery! I can't actually tell you where it's getting the extra styling details but I can tell you how to control them. You will need to define all your various a.BlogButton link & hover & visited and whatever else they all are. I just was tweaking in the same thing and finally stumbled across it is how I know.

You already have a.BlogButton and a.BlogButtonCurr defined in your css? Good - add these definitions and tweak till you're happy.

a.BlogButton:link, 
a.BlogButton:visited, 
a.BlogButton:active, 
a.BlogButtonCurr:link, 
a.BlogButtonCurr:visited, 
a.BlogButtonCurr:active, 
a.BlogButtonCurr:hover {
background: inherit;
color: #000000;
text-decoration: none;
}

a.BlogButton:hover {
color: #FFFAFA;
background: #0000CD;
text-decoration: none;
}

Have fun!!!

4 Sep 07, 2004 23:37

Looks like you fixed it, but here's the answer anyway.

You were looking in the right place, you just needed to edit the background property for both of those classes.

5 Sep 08, 2004 00:23

Defining each bit works great. I've seen this kind of thing happen before and I still don't understand how it happens. Can CSS just start styling whatever it feels like? ;)

7 Sep 08, 2004 09:35

But to be fair - remember when I was making 'London' and IE refused to inherit the css properties for the unordered lists? It styled it how it felt like then...

8 Sep 09, 2004 01:17

Well, you see, CSS doesn't do what it feels like, but IE is a tempermental thing.

9 Sep 09, 2004 09:54

I wouldn't call it tempermental. I'd call it sh*t... Anyway, I'd best stop making this thread one big anti IE rant...

10 Sep 10, 2004 23:49

Isaac -- did you see the skin before I implicitly added the fix suggested in this thread?

There were no selectors styling the buttons the way they did. There were no selectors to perform a rollover for example, yet it still rendered with roll-over stylings consistently. Once I defined a rollover however, it stopped.

The IE thing though... well IE drives me crazy. But I will survive if I just keep taking my "Not so crazy" pills. :roll:

It even happened twice in IE where I went to test the page and suddenly those darned rollover stylings were applied to.. get this... only two of the buttons!

I knew there was a reason I stayed with the HTML purists for so long... :p

Form is loading...