Recent Topics

1 Sep 09, 2004 21:57    

Hi,

I tried to find an answer, but didn't find an absolute answer.

I want to know if I can post or blog by email. I think this is a very useful feature to have, and am surprised it isn't an automatic function of b2evo.

Will b2evolution be adding this? If it already exists, it should be mentioned somewhere (eg, FAQ or Features/Specs).

A popular comparison chart that is circulating (you probably know it, and I don't have the link right now) says b2evo does not offer post by email option.

Also, I want to know if it is possible to keep the header of one's blog at the top, even while one is scrolling down the page. I guess that is like a frame. I don't know if it has to be a frame and whether or not his affects usability or viewability for people on different browsers. It'd be a nice option to have on any blogware system.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

dg

2 Sep 09, 2004 22:03

You're right, there should really be a manual entry for how to post via email.

Kinda like this one: http://b2evolution.net/man/2004/06/16/post_by_email_howto

;)

For putting a sticky header on the page, please post that question on the Client-side stuff forum. Before you do, please find an example of it on another site, so that people can know what you're aiming for.

3 Sep 17, 2004 18:04

Thanks Isaac for your reply.

I didnt' check closely. Now that I've read it, I do find the instructions a little technical. I could probably figure it out and have it work all right. But I'm worried about making b2evolution my blogware and finding it like this each step of the way. It's a great program, it seems, but still techie-oriented.

Thanks also for the suggestion. I'll do that.

Also I lost my password for above post, so I'm including the link here for that comparison chart of blogware:

http://www.asymptomatic.net/blogbreakdown.htm

kza

4 Sep 17, 2004 19:18

Here's a simple summary of blogging by email. First you need to tell conf/advanced.php what your email account is all about otherwise how can it read the mail? You also tell it the category (not the blog) you want your email posted in otherwise how can it know what to do with the mail?

// ** Configuration for htsrv/getmail.php **
// (skip this if you don't intend to blog via email)
# mailserver settings
$mailserver_url = 'probably-your-domain.com';
$mailserver_login = 'your-email-id@your-email-id-domain.com';
$mailserver_pass = 'thepasswordfortheaccountabove';
$mailserver_port = 110;
# by default posts will have this category
$default_category = 6; // the category # you want your posts to be in
# subject prefix
$subjectprefix = 'the-beginning-of-your-email-subject-line:';
# body terminator string (starting from this string, everything will be ignored, including this string)
$bodyterminator = "___END___";
# set this to 1 to run in test mode
$thisisforfunonly = 0;

Next you have to set up a cron job with your host to check your-path/htsrv/getmail.php on whatever frequency you want it run. I had to get help from my host on this part because there was a part required that wasn't covered in any of their tutorials. A cron job is a cron job is a cron job, but the path is a thing of great joy to behold. Once you have that set up b2evolution will check your account for emails beginning with $subjectprefix. When it finds a subject that starts with your $subjectprefix it will use the rest of the subject line as your post title and the body of your email as the post contents. It ends the post when it finds $bodyterminator in the email. It deletes the emails it posts so that it doesn't post the same thing every time the cron job runs.

Finally the simple part: you send an email to the email-id you used for $mailserver_login and start the subject line with what you put in the $subjectprefix variable. At the end of your blog by email you put your $bodyterminator value. That way if you are using a free mail service with ads in it the ads won't make it to your post.

I'm pretty sure it says it somewhere that you should make your $subjectprefix and $bodyterminator things you can easily remember but not likely to be found in a regular email from anyone. Also I think it says you should send in plain text format if you can.

Hope that helps!

5 Sep 17, 2004 21:17

make 2 divs. one header that is static width and static height. then make the second div 100% height and 100% width. this way the scrollbar is still the one on the side, but only one. this one only scrolls the second div of the body so the header stays. hope this makes sense ;)

6 Dec 31, 2004 00:32

So I'm trying this and it keeps telling me invalid login when I run the getmail.php

7 Jan 05, 2005 17:21

So I'm trying this and it keeps telling me invalid login when I run the getmail.php

This is happening for me too. I feel like it might be a permissions issue with my mail server. It is telling me:

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to 70.84.78.205:110 in /home/reedspag/public_html/b2evocore/_class_pop3.php on line 109
Connection failed: POP3 connect: Error [13] [Permission denied]

I've already emailed my host, but was wondering if anyone had ideas... Thanks!

8 Jan 25, 2005 23:55

Can someone who has made this work, help us out here???

9 Apr 07, 2005 03:30

I am scoping out Blog software to use for my application (read this thread for more info: http://forum.nucleuscms.org/viewtopic.php?t=6590 ). I need blog-by-email to work, or I will not attempt to demo the software.

Any word on blog-by-email capabilities?

-Matt

12 Nov 17, 2005 21:40

Hi, I'm trying to set up blog posting by email. I have read and followed the b2e "how To", as well as the excellent web page by stk (thanks! well done on that PCT journey!)

However, like the earlier poster above, I'm getting the error:

"
Connecting to pop server...

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to mail.tcndp.ca:110 in \\nas-001\winspace\10-{my site-blog-path}\b2evocore\_class_pop3.php on line 109

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in \\nas-001\winspace\10-{my site-blog-path}\b2evocore\_class_pop3.php on line 109
"

I've received this same error from 4 different POP accounts I tried on 4 different domains.

(The 5th time, I tried using a POP email account on the *same* domain as my web site host, and got a diffetrent error about how the version of POP its running doesn't conform to the RFP (version 3, I think).))

So, I'm wondering - is this because fsockopen won't access a POP email inbox outside the domain where its running? Or perhaps there is some other problem - could someone who has solved this, perhaps shed some light? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

13 Nov 17, 2005 23:32

Thanks for your kind words.

I wish that I had a solution, but I'm afraid I don't.

I DO know that the POP3 email account and the blog do NOT have to be on the same domain.

The failure you're getting on line 109 is a php function call to "fsockopen", where the "mail server" and "port" are the primary variables. It just looks like it can't connect, for some reason (the problem) and you're getting a timeout after 30-seconds.

The default is port 110. Maybe your POP3 account connects on a different port? (The reason for the inability to connect to gmail, for example - if I remember right ... been a while since I looked at the blog-by-email thing).

My guess is that it's a problem with your host, since you've tried so many POP accounts on different domains.

Wish I could help you more. If you DO find out the problem, please post the solution, because I would be interested in finding out what it boiled down to.

-stk

14 Dec 01, 2005 10:47

Hi STK
Wounderfull work and explanation you have done on the email to Blog.
I get it easy runing . Just have now a massl with the code .
I have to remove Add from the First line till a Seperator in my case "___"
How i could do it because the getmail.php extract after the $bodyterminator
could it be somehow that ther is variable or a code line witch devine the Start of the Contenr ?
Thanks for you advises and help
Mohab ,vienna

15 Dec 10, 2005 02:15

I have a number of b2evo installations on different hosts, and this problem is definitely host-specific. It is not caused by the remote mail server. Once you find a POP3 account that works (some don't), this problem will still come up with some hosts. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to get around it, other than to move the domain to a different host that works.

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to mail.tcndp.ca:110 in \\nas-001\winspace\10-{my site-blog-path}\b2evocore\_class_pop3.php on line 109

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in \\nas-001\winspace\10-{my site-blog-path}\b2evocore\_class_pop3.php on line 109
"

I've received this same error from 4 different POP accounts I tried on 4 different domains.

(The 5th time, I tried using a POP email account on the *same* domain as my web site host, and got a diffetrent error about how the version of POP its running doesn't conform to the RFP (version 3, I think).))

So, I'm wondering - is this because fsockopen won't access a POP email inbox outside the domain where its running? Or perhaps there is some other problem - could someone who has solved this, perhaps shed some light? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

17 Dec 31, 2008 00:21

Hi guys,

I have the latest version of B2evo 2.4.5

i tried to use the blog by email function. i followed the steps explained and ran a test on an email message that i sent as a text only.

the log in to email account is perfect but the process does not complete.

I get this error message

PHP Fatal error: Class 'Item' not found in E:\home\Default\shafey.net\htdocs\cron\getmail.php on line 335

do you have a way out???

additionally it seems that the location of php files you are talking about has been changed in this version. I found the getmail.php file in the "cron" folder not in the "htsrv" folder. and the _advanced.php file does not contain anything about blog by email.

I used the b2evo Global Settings>> Features.

one more question::::
can i send pictures using the blog by email feature????

thanks

18 Dec 31, 2008 16:16

activator, please try adding the following line above line 335 ("$edited_Item = & new Item();"):

load_class('items/model/_item.class.php');

Please report back, if it works then.

Apart from that, I'm not using this feature and the getmail.php file for b2evo 3.x is quite different. You may want to try that one, although it could happen that it works even less, since there may be changes in the core and the new getmail.php might be incompatible.
If you like to try it, you can get it from http://evocms.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/evocms/b2evolution/blogs/cron/?pathrev=HEAD
When you try it, please report back for this, too.

Sending pictures should be possible IIRC (but have not checked).

Form is loading...