Recent Topics

1 Sep 23, 2004 08:20    

Sometimes skins have no skin list which means if a user goes there they are stuck for all eternity with that particular look. It would be nice if there was a link you could stick in your _main that returned a visitor to the default skin. That way you could offer skins but not abandon people in them.

2 Sep 23, 2004 16:44

What a loony-bin idea! Who comes up with this stuff? The link would only be available in the skin you put it in, meaning someone else's skin wouldn't have it. Duh... Given that minor piece of reality, adding such a thing would be an easy edit to an existing skin that would produce the minimum design interference (if that matters) and allow returning to the default skin.

3 Sep 23, 2004 17:33

If skin switching isn't allowed, then it doesn't even let you get stuck into another skin, afaik.

4 Sep 23, 2004 19:26

Yup, but if skin switching is allowed and you offer a skin without a skin list then the visitor is stuck. The back button might be able to get them back to a screen with a different skin, or if they are hip to b2evo and know the name of an offered skin they can type the url directly, but otherwise you're in 'ality' forever. Just a bit more thinking as I try to offer skin switching without having all my hacks (in all the wrong places it seems) ruin the other skins... In the misc block, which almost every skin has, add

<li><a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'dynurl', 'raw' ) ?>?skin=SOMETHING_THAT_KNOWS_DEFAULT_SKIN" title="get this page in MY skin">Restore default skin</a></li>

or something like that. Not sure if 'dynurl' is correct or not but I think it's the right neighborhood to go poking around. I think the path to find the default skin lies in the existing skin switching models so that's the other neighborhood I'd have to roam aimlessly.

Here's the deal: I want to upgrade to NinetyEleven but I know for a fact I've got too many hacks scattered throughout. Almost all of them are preceded by a comment line that includes "EdB: " so I can search for that and have a starting point for restoration, but if I clean up my skins folder by making sure I can switch skins AND see that all other skins function as advertised then I'm ahead of the game a bit. Plus my code is more like it oughta be. So inside all this skins stuff I got mad that some skins are like the Hotel California: you can check in but you can never leave. Therefore I typed before thinking about how I wish the world would just bend to my will.

Besides, I just uploaded a skin that doesn't offer skin switching. Focusing on the visitor's download time, I took out duplication of information and things I deemed not essential - like skin switching. If someone were to download [url=http://wonderwinds.com/testbed/index.php?skin=NakedBob]NakedBob[/url] and add it to their blog as an optional skin then their visitors are potentially stuck in a skin I made. Bummer! So I'd like to find a path to let people back out in the smallest possible byte size.

Form is loading...