Recent Topics

1 Dec 21, 2004 15:11    

Wanted to be able to notify certain people when I made a post.

_edit_form.php added on line 302

<?php // --------------- EMAIL NOTIFICATION by dykstaj 12/20/2004 ------------------ ?>
	<fieldset>
	<div>
		<label for="notify_email"><strong><?php echo T_('Email Notification') ?>:</strong> <span class="notes"><?php echo T_('(Separate by comma)') ?></span></label><br /><input type="text" name="notify_email" class="large" id="notify_email" value="" />
	</div>
	</fieldset>

edit_action.php on line 157

// Email Notification : dykstaj on 12/20/2004
			if (!empty( $notify_email ))
			{
				$blogInst = Blog_get_by_ID( $blog ) ;
				$recipient = $notify_email;
				$subject = sprintf( T_('New  post "%s"'), $post_title );
				$notify_message  = sprintf( T_('There is a new Post "%s"'), $post_title )."\n";
				$notify_message .= T_('Author').': '.$current_User->get('preferedname').' ('.$current_User->get('login').")\n";
				$notify_message .= T_('Post').": \n".$content."\n\n";
				$notify_message .= T_('Link to Blog').": \n".$blogInst->get( 'blogurl' )."\n\n";
				echo '<div class="panelinfo"><p>',"Sending notification to $recipient :<pre>$notify_message</pre></p></div>\n";
				if( is_logged_in() )
					$mail_from = $current_User->get('email');
				send_mail( $recipient, $subject, $notify_message, $mail_from );
			}

2 Feb 18, 2005 03:06

This is a great code. I enjoy using it. Do you know how I can get $notify_email and $recipient to pull email addresses from my blog's database instead of typing them in manually in the email notification textbox? The table I would get the email addresses from would be evo_users and the column would be user_email. Thanks - I am new to this coding stuff.

3 Feb 18, 2005 18:00

WHOA. Cool!

The biggest thing for some of us that hampers b2's effectiveness is a lack of email notification. Can you please bear with me some suggestions/ thoughts on what makes a good email notification system? I can't begin to explain how excited a lot of us are at the potential of finally seeing what we've been asking the developers forever for.

1. For email notification to be effective we need a method where people can subscribe/unsubscribe automatically to the notification list. A simple form would do.
2. When people sign up for the list, they should be sent an opt-in email message where they have to either email a canned response, code phrase or click a link to confirm they want to subscribe to the list.
3. There should be some sort of simple email address validation when people sign up.
4. A simple web-page for admins to monitor, change and modify the subscription list.
5. The subscribers list should not be tied to whether the subscriber is a member of the blog.
6. The signup form should have some safety toggles, like flood protection, random code phrase to be entered, check box toggled, captcha whatever to prevent register bots from signing up.
7. Perhaps a check box can be added to Write admin panel so that when entering a new post you have the option of sending out an email when publishing a new entry?
-------
Seriously thanks for the code now that you've got us this far perhaps b2evo can get all the way into incorporating a viable working email notification system!

4 Feb 20, 2006 13:01

Sorry, I have not written back. I have not had the opportunity to continue working with b2evolution since I took a new job. I wish I could help, but it would take considerable time to get things back up and running on my home machines.

Most of the information that I pulled came from other skins that I downloaded with various features I liked. I then pulled many of them across the other skins.

Really sorry folks....

Form is loading...