Recent Topics

1 Jan 04, 2005 12:39    

Why do I get this error?

Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in <path>

3 Jan 04, 2005 12:47

sometimes it works and sometimes not...
I'm on a ISS server if that matters.

4 Jan 04, 2005 12:49

off topic: anyone else notice that most "problems" occur with IIS? :P (gotta love windows) the web is intended to be run on *NIX!!!

5 Jan 05, 2005 21:53

whoo wrote:

the web is intended to be run on *NIX!!!

I hate flaming, but i've been successfully running several websites for about 12 years now, always on Apache, on several Windows platforms.

whatever.

The 30 seconds limit is the time php lets some script run by default when not set otherwise in the php.ini. You can increase that limit by editing the php.ini, restarting your web server (unless php is configured to run in CGI mode) and trying again.

However, most of your users will NOT wait more than 30 seconds for a page to display, even if you tell them to.

Now consider trying to locate what is the bottleneck. it might be an infinite loop, or a time- or process-consuming task, such as downloading a file from a slow server, sending mass e-mails, converting a batch of graphic files,...

I never had any problem with b2evo taking much time to run anything, neither with any script downloaded from the web. The only script that ever had that kind of problem was a script that downloaded a bunch of web pages, parsing them and outputted an xml file. A script that I had coded. If you coded the thing, at every iteration ( for(blah) { <here> } ) place the code set_time_limit(30); or something like that. i'm too lazy to browse php docs right now.

6 Jan 05, 2005 22:10

What a coincidence of timing! I just got the 30 second error when previewing a post. Seems one of my hacks that depends on knowing the post id when disp=single got all buggered up when the post was actually a preview. Actually it could be due to the post category since the hack wants that too, but it doesn't do it in the real world - only in preview mode.

I had seen it before and felt it was somewhat intuitive - it took too long to do the php thing so it died. In the previous case I hacked up a method to re-write my hitlog and antispam tables (never mind why), and anyway it was obvious that it was humming along for longer than php was willing to run.

So zcandaler if you're still out there did you have a normal installation give this error, or did you hack it up? If it's a straight b2evo then for sure go talk to your host about why a program that normally takes nowhere near 30 seconds is croaking for you. Otherwise look to your hacks. Oh actually I guess if you display like 100 posts per page and run all the plugins on really long posts you could reach the time-out thing with an otherwise standard installation. I wonder how much of your page loaded before the error displayed?

Thanks ThaNerd for the "set_time_limit" thing. Last time I manually chugged through what I wanted to get done. A quick look at php.net and my host's phpinfo tells me I can do my dirty little deed much easier next time around.

7 Jan 06, 2005 00:48

ThaNerd wrote:

I hate flaming, but i've been successfully running several websites for about 12 years now, always on Apache, on several Windows platforms.

whatever.

tim berners-lee developed his dream using a NeXT box. Whats NeXT? Its a "a Unix-like operating system based on the Mach kernel, plus source code from UC Berkeley's BSD Unix" (thats straight outa the wiki).

:)

ive been successfully running varous web sites for 9 years all on apache and either BSD or *NIX. That proves nothing, btw.

Form is loading...