Recent Topics

1 Jan 06, 2005 10:59    

Hi all,

I have a wee problem with the skin that I use. On my computer, it works great in both Firefox and IE. But on my mate's computer, the sidebar gets pushed underneath the main posts in IE (screen shot here - http://web.aanet.com.au/getadog/index.html).

The skin can be viewed here - http://www.whittlingwood.com/index.php?blog=3.

Does anyone know what I can do to remedy this?

4 Jan 22, 2005 02:55

ppl, we don't have any crystal balls...

so he using which version of IE on which version of windows?
and you are using which version of IE and FF on which version of windows?

your skin is XHTML-valid, so that should not be the problem.

i remember a time, where i had the same (?) strange problem with IE. i had to build something like this

.bPosts1 {
width: 63%; }

.bPosts {
width:100%; 
}

and in the _main.php bPosts1 just encloses bPosts. but i ASFAIR i had to do it because of padding or margin. for the sidebar i have the same.

5 Jan 22, 2005 04:08

Another trick is to put overflow:hidden; in the bSideItem div with your domain name in it. Long stuff will spill out of the intended space and IE will have a cow. Sometimes.

I suggest it because when I first looked at your site in IE it dropped the sidebar when I narrowed my window to where your domain name slipped outside the box edge. It did not repeat.

6 Jan 22, 2005 23:56

Hi kiesow. He runs XP, so it is version 6 of IE.

EdB. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll try both suggestions and see how it reacts.

7 Jan 23, 2005 03:31

maybe he has an old version of IE 6? it has been patched a lot.
your site looks ok with IE 6 on winxp SP2 with updates up today.

8 Jan 26, 2005 22:41

whittler,

Your blog looks fine to my MSIE6sp2 browser, as well. However, I ran into a similar problem, just yesterday, tho on a much smaller scale.

First, I might suggest moving the html code for the sidebar HIGHER in your _main.php file (that's what ended up fixing it for me), tho I notice that your bposts css is floated left (you might try unfloating it to see what effect it has, because - if I remember right on mine, which is similar, my blog entries are not floated) . I was correct, in that, mine is not floated. However, when I tried to do that to yours, your right-side disappeared. I did notice, however, that you are lacking an overall div that wraps the entire page (I'd recommend one). As it stands, your body makes up most of your posts page. (In comparison, the only portion of my body 'exposed' is just 20px around the all the divs. This might make a difference in your layout. For example, change your body background color to red & you'll see it comprises the majority of the screen. I changed your div wrapper to something obnoxious {border:20px solid blue} and didn't see what it wrapped.

have a look: http://randsco.com

(If you don't already know, FireFox has a nice WebDeveloper plug-in that allows you to interactively edit the CSS & see the real-time effect. Not only is it a great tool for working on your own site, you can also use it to look at the CSS of any site and interactively fiddle with it to see the effects). B)

Hope this helps. :)

9 Jan 27, 2005 00:02

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

STK, I will put it in a wrapper <div> and see if this helps. It will probably be a few days as I don't go round to his house every day.

Cheers

10 Jan 28, 2005 21:08

I had this same problem on my site at one point. EdB pointed out that my page was "too wide" (he used more technical terms). To resolve it I set my browser size to 800x600 and worked my css file (margins, paddings and width percentages) until it was both displayed properly and I was satisfied with the layout. Now, no matter what size my page is displayed, it appears properly. If you still have problems after this, you may end up having to try negative margins to get everything to space out correctly.

Oh, and also, I would work the code so that it displays properly in Internet Explorer. In my experience, if it shows correctly in IE, it'll work in Firefox, but not necessarily vice versa.

Hope that helps,
Chris

11 Jan 29, 2005 03:53

Hi all, the issue is resolved.

I tried all suggestions, but the one which worked was kiesow's suggestion of changing the width of bPosts to 69% (from 70%). The weird thing is, I had tried that before (before coming to this forum). Maybe when I did try it before, there was a problem with the FTP transfer and the file did not update - which kinda makes it hard to eliminate possibilities.

Works on a 800x600 screen as well. The browser is an up to date SP2 version of IE, so I'm confused as to why there was a problem at all. Good ole' Firefox and most IE installations renders it at 70% without a problem.

Anyway. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to look at this for me. Very much appreciated.

Whittler

Form is loading...