Recent Topics

1 Feb 14, 2005 23:33    

Anyone come up with a plug-in/hack for automatically plugging commenters?

2 Feb 14, 2005 23:41

Please explain. Do you mean something that automagically adds a commenter to the linkblog because they commented with a name and url, or are you thinking something that gives you an easy option to "linkblog this commenter"? Just curious... I've no hack like it but it seems in light of rel="nofollow" such a thing would be rather cool.

3 Feb 15, 2005 00:58

comment pluggers snatch the url asociated with the last X commenters (if a URL is provided) and link the name with the URL, usually in the sidebar somewhere.

does that help, edb? :D

5 Feb 15, 2005 01:15

yeah, 'there' at the bottem- its what I just descibed.

6 Feb 15, 2005 01:36

whoo wrote:

does that help, edb? :D

Here's what I started down the rose covered path of enlightenment with: pull the comments from the comments table and compare it to who's linked in a specified category, which is probly associated with the linkblog but who can say given that each blog can have it's own linkblog, but I digress. Anyway take a look at the commenters and if they've got a name and email id and url AND they are not in the specified category then by golly let the logged in blogger know "hey you wanna link this commenter or be rude about it instead?". The conceptual discontinuity is multibloggers multiblogging. So maybe I want to add a commenter to my blogroll but you don't want them in yours even though we are both bloggers on BillyBob's blog? Blech, but it's all ones and zeros so how hard can it be? Each comment goes to a blog, and each blog has a specified linkblog (though it might be none), so it's either a one or a zeerow from there.

tainted's method-model is much easier - it's like a sidebar hack. I kin prolly whip that badboy out inabout 8 minutes ifn I was sober for that long...

Seriously, that seems a simple tool. The last X number of commenters on blog N get displayed on blog N. AFAIK it doesn't exist. I'll play with it tomorrow and see if I can kick one out.

7 Feb 16, 2005 01:21

this is a great idea - I hope it is do-able :D

8 Feb 16, 2005 03:08

oops. Forgot to come back to this one. It's doable, only it's a lot more than I had anticipated. Here's the rub: comments are associated with posts and posts are associated with categories and categories are associated with blogs, so if you want all the comments on this particular blog you gotta really sing for your supper. Further complicating the mix is that some commenters are registered members of the blog and the comments table doesn't keep data on them - just the fact that they have a user ID number, so you'd have to either ignore comments by members or add users to the mix.

Anyway I gave up on it and went back to making a stickypost hack. Plus it's a flying weekend so that takes priority in a major sort of way.

Hopefully someone else will hook up the hackage for this cuz it does seem kinda neat.

9 Feb 26, 2005 21:35

Anyone else wanna take a stab at this?

Form is loading...