Recent Topics

1 Mar 20, 2005 06:58    

I've already fixed it so that my stats page doesn't get indexed by robots. I know that on search engines, the spammers just search for either "recent referers," "top referers," and "disp=stats".

Is there a way, either in my skin files or in the core files, to change it so that the links to my stat pages are something other than "disp=stats?" Maybe like, "disp=info" or something generic like that. I only ask, because I'd kind of like to leave the links on my skin to "Some viewing statistics" and "more..." in the referers table.

Also, does anyone have any good ideas on what I could change "Recent Referers" and "Top Referers" to? I thought maybe, "Recent Visitors," that's not very accurate.

2 Mar 20, 2005 14:25

Crack open your _main.php and look for this line:

case 'stats':
			// this includes the statistics if requested:
			require( dirname(__FILE__).'/_stats.php');
			break;

And you can change this to whatever you want

case 'info':
			// this includes the statistics if requested:
			require( dirname(__FILE__).'/_stats.php');
			break;

3 Mar 20, 2005 16:22

Easy enough. Thanks, Graham.

4 Mar 20, 2005 16:24

Oh. I forgot to ask. If I do that, do I need to change:

<?php if( $disp == 'stats' ) { // stop search engines from indexing the stats page
echo '<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />'."\n";
} ?>

To:

<?php if( $disp == 'info' ) { // stop search engines from indexing the stats page
echo '<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />'."\n";
} ?>

To keep my stats page from being indexed?

5 Mar 20, 2005 16:30

Graham wrote:

Crack open your _main.php and look for this line:

Actually... That didn't do it. It's still disp=stats.

6 Mar 20, 2005 18:01

Have you got a link for me to look at?

7 Mar 20, 2005 18:25

Graham wrote:

Have you got a link for me to look at?

Sure:

http://www.undergroundozarks.com/blog/

That's with my _main.php altered with the change. It still shows the links as "disp=stats," but now it brings up a blank Stats page.

8 Mar 20, 2005 18:39

How odd. I've never done that myself, so it was really a guess. What I do is leave everything as it is originally and replace the logging function with this. What it does is ignore hits on _stats.php. If you can cope with the bandwidth use, this is the best way of doing it. If you can't, I guess I'll have a look about changing the stats url, but I think that will involve hacking some core files I think, so it might not (probably won't) survive the next upgrade.

Anyway, in _main.php find this:

<?php
		log_hit();	// log the hit on this page
		debug_info(); // output debug info if requested
	?>

And replace it with this:

<?php
if ($disp != 'stats')
            {
               log_hit();   // log the hit on this page
               debug_info(); // output debug info if requested
            } 
	?>

9 Mar 20, 2005 18:53

Graham wrote:

If you can cope with the bandwidth use, this is the best way of doing it. If you can't, I guess I'll have a look about changing the stats url, but I think that will involve hacking some core files I think, so it might not (probably won't) survive the next upgrade.

Well, if it's super-complicated, don't worry about it. But, yeah, it's the bandwidth issue I'm trying to get around. The referer spammers have already tripled my bandwidth. At the rate they're going, they'll max out my bandwidth probably within the year (and I get 5GB of transfer a day).

I really hate spammers.

10 Mar 20, 2005 18:58

I solved the problem my way and deletet stats in the skins like above.

I can see the logfiles provided by my webhoster and anylase it with webalizer. So what another database for logs? That prevents me looking for the referspammer like the fucking Texas Holden and others.

mikel

Form is loading...