Recent Topics

1 Sep 07, 2005 03:34    

Ok I don't have a Linkblog.

But I was wondering how to create links on my right sidebar I customized the london skin for this heres my blog

news.septagonstudios.com/index.php

2 Sep 07, 2005 03:46

That's exactly what a linkblog does!!! You can easily make a new blog, leave it out of your blog list, and designate it as your linkblog on any other blog. You post URLs in your linkblog and (tada) get links listed in your sidebar. You can even change the text from "linkblog" to something creative like "links" if you like.

EDIT: I just noticed one of your customizations was to remove the linkback to b2evolution. Given that, I'm going to unlink your url in your post. You don't link to us so we don't link to you. Fair?

3 Sep 07, 2005 05:41

thats fair. I was just showing my blog.

so let me get this straight.

i create a new blog example called links.

then how do i make it so that no one can actually go on to this link blog. but they can only see the links that i posted in my sidebar

4 Sep 07, 2005 06:28

Ok now I get double posting. My links show up but then i have cateories showing up as well.

My default blog is #1 if a icreate a another blog and move my entries to that post will i still keep the template i had for one

5 Sep 07, 2005 06:40

By not including the linkblog in your bloglist (a setting in your back office on the blogs tab) you effectively hide the linkblog from public access. Next you will need to look at the appropriate _linkblog.php to see about removing the permalink icon from your linkblog. That will remove direct access to each post in your linkblog. I don't think it will stop everyone from accessing your linkblog because there are a bunch of people out there who can access just about anything, but it'll stop most people, and the search engines.

As to moving posts to another blog, good idea. Blog 1 shows all posts in all blogs, so move posts to blog 2 and links to blog 3. You can then set blog 2's skin to the modified london you're using. Actually ANY blog number is fine. Links can be 2 and posts can be 47 - b2evolution doesn't care. Just be sure to tell the blog for posts that the linkblog is whatever number you've chosen as your linkblog. That's in the back office (but I reckon you got that part figured out).

Why remove the linkback to b2evolution? I mean, you got free software and you're getting free help, so what's wrong with giving a little pat on the back to the people who wrote the code? (As a skin-author I'm personally cranky about removing credit-link for the creator of the skin, but that's a drum I don't beat on here in these forums.) Just curious is all.

Hope this helps!

6 Sep 07, 2005 06:44

the link back is located where exactly

7 Sep 07, 2005 07:10

In the london skin it's on the bottom of the sidebar. An example is [url=http://skins.b2evolution.net/a.php?skin=london]here[/url]. Lots of skins have it in the sidebar, others put it in a footer section. I can sort of understand a cosmetic factor, like the image chosen by the author isn't to your liking, but heck just replace it with text. I think all the skins I use on my blog use text, but I don't visit most of my blogs so I could be wrong.

Did the "hide the links to the linkblog and linkblog posts" stuff make sense? See, someone like me (for example) might see your url and be able to guess at what you are using for a linkblog. Or other "secret" blogs I guess, but we're probably in the minority. Spammers won't bother, and search engines don't care enough to. Most people won't bother since they don't care. Some of us forum-junkies have learned to troubleshoot problems by guessing and typing URLs to help people solve problems. Anyway if the info I offered made sense then you should be 98% sure no one will see your linkblog.

I should remove my permalinks from my linkblog posts. Sometimes it drives traffic from search engines, which always makes me wonder if they wonder WTF they stumbled into.

Form is loading...