Recent Topics

1 Oct 07, 2005 21:42    

Hello:

Ok I thought this would be easy, but for some reason I spent half the day just going round in circles.

So what I want is to have a 3 colume site with 3 different blogs in each. One being just for photos on the left, one for news in the middle, and the other for video.

I figured I would have to make a new page and load each blog into there own div tags. Here Is what I came up with so far. The Java scrips is modfyied from stuff I found on the web. Thanks for any help, or direction that anyone could give.

I also need to make this aumated so people don't have to click on the link at the top. So far this was the only example I found of any one doing this.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<!-- DW6 -->
<head>

<!-- External HTML into CSS layer -->
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

var nn4 = (document.layers);
var nn6 = (document.getElementById && !document.all);
var ie4 = (document.all && !document.getElementById);
var ie5 = (document.all && document.getElementById);
function loadPage(id,nestref,url) {
if (nn4) {
var lyr = (nestref)? eval('document.'+nestref+'.document.'+id) : document.layers[id]
lyr.load(url,lyr.clip.width)
}
else if(ie4) parent.contentFRM.location = url;
else if(ie5 || nn6) document.getElementById('contentFRM').src = url;
}
function showPage(id) {
if (ie4) {
document.all[id].innerHTML = parent.contentFRM.document.body.innerHTML;
}
else if(nn6 || ie5) { 
document.getElementById(id).innerHTML = window.frames['contentFRM'].document.getElementById('theBody').innerHTML;
   }
}
</script>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="xsxtreme.css" type="text/css">
</head>

<BODY onload="parent.showPage('news')">

<!-- Center Colume -->
<div id="top">
  <p align="center">Image here </p>
  <p>&nbsp;</p>

</div> 

<!-- left colume -->
<div class="style1" id="video">Video here  

</div> 

<!-- Center colume --> 
<div id="news">
  <div align="center">

<a href="javascript:loadPage('news',null,'http://www.xsxtreme.com/blogs')">Video here</a>
<iframe name="contentFRM" id="contentFRM" width="300" height="300" frameborder="0">
</iframe>
    <p><br>
</p>
  </div>
</div> 

<!-- Right colume --> 
<div id="photo">
  <p>Pictures here </p>
</div> 
</body>
</html>

2 Oct 07, 2005 22:31

Can you give a link to what this looks like in action? You might be better off to use multiblogs.php, a file that comes with b2evolution and does just what you're trying to do.

4 Oct 08, 2005 15:13

I guess I'm missing the point of what you're trying to do. You're using some JavaScript designed to make you have to click a link to load some content. Then you say you don't want to have to click to load the content. I would suggest that you just stop using that code, but it seems so obvious that I must be missing the point. If you want to send the user content from three different blogs, then you might as well process that on the server with php and send the page to the user exactly as you want it to appear. I don't see any need for JS at all in this case. You just need the right php file that can display 3 blogs, each in its own column. That's basically what multiblogs.php is designed for. You'll have to modify it to get it working how you want, but it should have the tricks you need to make this happen. In what way do you think it's outdated? If I'm misunderstanding what you want, please try explaining again.

5 Oct 08, 2005 15:38

Ok:

The Javascript is proabley not nesscary, but while i was doing some research on how to do this, this sounded the simplest. I figured all I would have to do is make my Div tags, and call the java script to call 3 different blogs into each tag.

That was my thought first of all. I origonley found info on two collumue blogs and some 3 collum blogs, but non of them loaded a full blog into ALL the collums.

I have been looking on the web for multiblog.php and I am finding everything out there for all the OTHER blogging software, but not b2Evo. All the implementation of it that I have seen on the web are all for much older versions.

http://www.xsxtreme.com/blogs/index.php This is currentley what I have which is close. I want all collums to look like the middle colume. Litterley 3 post pages right next to each other.

Sorry, I am not a PHP guru, and most of it I can walk through (very slowley) to understand. If this was flash it would be a different story.

To tell you the truth I havent found ANYTHING close to what I want anywhere on the web (which is odd). The only thing that comes close is link blogging which is not what I want.

This is the current code I have for what you see in the above site. I am guessing I guessing I need to mod this page?

6 Oct 08, 2005 16:02

1. Please don't paste entire files into a post. It's not very useful and it just gets in the way and adds unneeded bulk to the forum database. If I needed to see your file (and I haven't yet) then making a txt file on your server and linking to it would be better.

I have been looking on the web for multiblog.php and . .

I said in my last post that multiblogs.php was a file that came with b2evolution. You don't need to search the web for it. It's already setting on your server: http://www.xsxtreme.com/blogs/multiblogs.php
Notice what it says on the first line:

This demo template displays 3 blogs at once (1 on the left, 2 on the right)

Isn't that what you're trying to do? You'll have to rearrange the layout, but that file has all the code you need to get started.

3. Take a look through that file and consider this a good opportunity to learn a little php. If you're having a hard time getting it to do what you want, then post your question here and we'll try to help you.

7 Oct 08, 2005 17:38

THanks for all the help.

Ok i got it to do what I wanted to do, and I am working on layout now. But some of the code is greyed out/commented and can't be edit.

I have never ran into this before. Any idea on this one? Ever time I try to edit the layout it says that it is lookign for the (Standard.dwt) file..

Again thanks for the help.

8 Oct 08, 2005 17:39

Hmm. What are you using to edit the php files?

9 Oct 08, 2005 17:50

I am using Dreamweaver. I found some info on it. It's a template docuement file suposable. In the process of trying to find copy of it on the web.

Form is loading...