Recent Topics

1 Oct 09, 2005 18:53    

Hello all:

Well it took me quite a bit of tweaking to get a multiblog with 3 parallel columns. I am by no means a PHP pro and work through it rather slowly.

So I have it almost where I want it. All except for 3 things that I just can't tweak.

1) First of all the column on the Left loads Flash into it. The flash loads over the top of everything text and all, and often runs off the post section. I have no idea how to get the PHP to read the dimension to format the post correctly.

2) The alignment of the 3 columns is killing me, no matter what I do, the are all off kilter. I would like all the columns to be spread out evenly over the page. Is this too much to ask? Well my whole day yesterday was wasted and what you see is the best I could do.

3) The two side columns need to display all the same info as the center column including ( Leave a comment • Trackback (0) • Permalink) for the post, and ( :: Next Page >>) at the end.

1 and 2 are beyond me and it is killing me. I can probably work out 3, as I only put a little bit of time on it.

This is the link to my site so you can see what I mean
http://xsxtreme.com/blogs/multiblogs.php

The link below is of the current blog. The formatting of the flash in it works perfectly.
http://xsxtreme.com/blogs/

P.S. I’m still working on the color scheme

2 Oct 09, 2005 19:47

2. I added this at the end of your stylesheet and it seems to make the columns behave a little better:

.bPosts, .bSidebar, .VideoSideBar {
width: 33%;
}
.VideoSideBar {
float: left;
}
.bPosts {
margin: 0 5px 0 5px;
}

3 Oct 09, 2005 19:49

3. multiblogs.php just shows basic info on the 2nd and 3rd blogs. Make the php code for those two look more like the first blog and you'll display everything you need.

4 Oct 09, 2005 19:56

I'm having a little more trouble with numbe 1. I know you're going to have a problem because you have to set a pixel width for the object, but the parent div has it's width set by percent. Smaller resolution screens are not going to fit the object into the div. But I saw that you gave it overflow: hidden. That's good. I don't know much about object tags. I'm guessing the error is in the CSS. Sorry, I'm stumped on this one.

5 Oct 10, 2005 03:16

Personman:

Hey I wan't to thank you for all your help. The CSS helped it out alot, I couldent even get the left and center collume to seperate. Thanks again for the info.

As far as one is concerned, I am thinking of just hacking it so I have a video post option when I post a blog. To get video into the site I have to disable teh HTMLchecker which is a pain in the ass ever time I just want to post video. I might just add pre defined deminsions into the blog post.

Course if any one out there has any better ideas, please let me know :)

Thanks
Steve

7 Oct 10, 2005 09:18

Personman:

I saw that post and was workig with him on a few flash related things for a bit. I revisited it, and decided to look at my code and see what I was doing wrong. Needless to say I mispelled one word.

But thanks again as I got it to pass through the HTML Checker.

8 Oct 10, 2005 19:40

Well no answers or even ideas about the flash in the multiblog? I have pretty much taken care of the formating options and in the process of cleaning up the CSS.

But the FLASH.... WHY WHY WHY? ANY IDEAS? guesses would even be great.
Steve

9 Oct 10, 2005 20:38

It seems you have the width of that column set at 29%:

.bPosts, .bSidebar, .PictureSideBar {
	width: 29%;
}

When I view the source it's showing the embedded flash is 320x280. Apparently that's too wide for the 29% you're giving that column. You may need to hard-code a width for the .PictureSideBar to make sure your videos fit.

10 Oct 10, 2005 20:48

Did you try posting a flash object in one of the other columns?

11 Oct 11, 2005 02:54

Personman:

Yea, I have added flash to the picture bar on the right. It behaves relativeley the same way. If I hard code the flash then it will have compabality problems between screen sizes.

I have tweekend the 29% and got it working so the collumes work, but have not yet got to makeing it 1024x768 compatiable. Not only that but if you viewe the page in IE6 then only half the flash shows up, and the title bar is a PNG file that has a Alpha channel which shows up grey. Everything In firefox it is fine, and a strage thing. (I hate IE6)

When you resize your browser window, the left and the center collume resize to the given percentage of the browser windows. But the 3rd collume for some reson only resizes to a particular point, then shoots down to the bottom of the page... I am guessing I have some rogue CSS to deal with

fun fun fun

12 Oct 11, 2005 10:21

Nate:

I did try to hardcode it, which worked, but then the site becomes static and won't conform to other peoples browsers.

I would like all peopel to check it out right now, without it looking messed up on some peoples comps and fine on others. I have defaulted it to 1024x768.

I did end up movign the Flash code to the bottom of the post so it wouldent hang over the top of the the text. A workaround rather than a fix.

I have it almost all figured out all except for the IE6 problems.

13 Oct 11, 2005 19:26

http://xsxtreme.com/blogs/multiblogs.php looks horrible in firefox. You have more issues than just the flash there -- the images on the right hand side are scrolling off the screen, for starters. You are going to need to move that unless you have control over the thumbnail placement.

I recommend taking a look at http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://xsxtreme.com/blogs/multiblogs.php also -- you have quite a few errors not related to the way you are embedding the flash

14 Oct 12, 2005 16:16

Whoo:

Thanks, I laughed a bit, I love the brutal honest truth. I made sure both of the flash file on are conformable and will rerrange it's self to any width/hight I specfy in the blog post code. So that one is easy to take care. (just havent got to it yet.. Tonight in a bit)

Right now I am setting the site to default to 1024x768. I can easily conform the files to fit correctley at that size. Right now that is a bit down on my list of to-do's.

I can easily code flash to detect the users screen size, but first I need to get to skinning it. Even before that I have to format the link pages to look like the multiblog.php file.

Other than that I belive Firefox should be fine. I currentley test in firefox, but did you notice that in IE6 the flash that laods up is only half of what is supose to disply? This one is way beyound me.... I dont even have a idea of where to start there.

I will defentley check out the Validator, as my first concern what to get it formated correctley. Easier said then done needless to say. (I have had to crash course my self in PHP)

Well any other suggestion are welcome, thanks every one who has helped me out on this.

Sincerely
Steve R

15 Oct 12, 2005 16:44

Well, while we're being honest, I'm not sure if it's just my monitor or what, but the text is very difficult to read against the dark background on your page. There isn't a whole lot of contrast, I guess. You might want to take a look at it on some other computers to see how other users are seeing your site.

Then again, that could be the effect you're after.
:)

16 Oct 12, 2005 21:55

Nate is being too kind. The black text against the dark red background in IE is unreadable. Color me clicking to another site in a HURRY, as I can't read a thing!

Don't know about the rest of the tech issues, as some good folks are already responding.

It's been a fair while since I've been active on the boards, so am just perusing the categories.

My recommendation: Lighten the red background for the text. At least two notches. If it was before: #xxx or #xyxyxy ... try #www or #wywywy. That should help A LOT.

Cheers,

-stk

17 Oct 12, 2005 23:17

Or try resetting your text color. #C2C2C2 is a gray that goes well with your #3e0000. I got it from http://colorblender.com/ which is a nice site to put a color palette together.

18 Oct 13, 2005 19:10

All:

Thanks for all the info, I got everything worked out and even got the kinks out of the embeded flash. I am testing it in various browsers, and tweeking the color here and there.

The last thing I was working on was adding the extra modules and links to the side blog. I got all the tweeks, but couldent get the date to show up on the side blogs, or have the side blogs show more than 3 posts.

I did most of the tweeks by copying the code from the main blog to the side blog with 70% success. Any idea or places to look?

19 Oct 13, 2005 20:24

You're getting there. It looks a lot better. It's still hard to read. Black text on a dark red background isn't going to work.

The date can be done two ways.

1. $Item->date_if_changed(); will show a date, then all of the posts from that date and once you get to posts that are on a different date, it will show the date heading again. This is what you have in the center column

2. $Item->issue_date(); shows the date for that post.

20 Oct 15, 2005 11:57

This should be a easy one

I am using

<?php posts_nav_link(); ?>

to navigate and it is working fine for the News(Center) colume. But when I put it on the left or right it only shows the next page for teh News(Center collume).

Any guesses?

I Fell like I got a HUGE crash course in in PHP here. It makes so much more sense thanks to you guys. Atlest know I know I can edit it now, course im not too sure about creating it from scratch. err

Thanks again.

Steve Reynolds

21 Oct 15, 2005 14:42

Make sure that the nav link code comes before the part that says something like

//Restore after dirty trick
$blog = $saved_blog;

22 Nov 20, 2005 00:04

not sure wether your issue has been resovled but heres the answer to the frist question:

1) First of all the column on the Left loads Flash into it. The flash loads over the top of everything text and all, and often runs off the post section. I have no idea how to get the PHP to read the dimension to format the post correctly.

Add this to your flash object tag:

<param name="wmode" value="transparent">

Add this to your embed tag inside your flash object tag:

wmode="transparent"

And instead of using %s use pixels, so 150px for example, always include 'px' to follow standards.

I cant answer your other questions because your server is currently down.

Form is loading...