Recent Topics

1 Mar 24, 2006 17:23    

Hey, Lightality is coming close, would of been out weeks ago but uni is holding me back.

Well anyway I when i release it i want to make the following apply;
You may only use parts of Lightality in your own work if you have consent from the author.
Credit must be given* if you use, take and/or redistrubute any part of Lightality.
If you distribute a modified build of Lightality it must be clear that it is not an official build and it is not created by the original author(s) of Lightality.
You must alert the author(s) of Lightality if you distribute any modifications or additions/extras/addons/etc that you create for Lightality

The Stars*
given* = A visible linkback to [link - will be finalized later] containing a description of what you are using Lightality (and/or parts of Lightality) for.

Yer thats it.... All i want is a way to make sure i get credit for the work i did, and for people not to hack up my work without me getting credit.
As well as acknoledging the wether or not they are distributing a official build of Lightality.

But heres some low down on other things;

If you require a hack or feature be added, you must discuss it with me, and we can come to a conclusion about what can be done.
I am happy to add events for the Addons to Lightality, as long as there is not a better way of doing the desired thing.

Notifying me of any work you do, helps me figure out what people are doing with lightality, and if the ideas/features are good enough I will make it something official for Lightality (with credit).

I recomend having a go at creating PostSkins/Addons/Layouts/Backgrounds/Avatars/Pages for Lightality but i do not want people hacking around with Lightality's backend without telling me about it first, as i can discuss what they want to do with them and work out a solution.
I think this approach is good.

Any comments, suggestions etc? And which license should i use?

2 Mar 24, 2006 19:51

but i do not want people hacking around with Lightality's backend without telling me about it first

Off topic, but youre best to let that go, or dont bother releasing it

3 Mar 24, 2006 20:16

Yer spose, i dunno...

Thats there because like for someone wanting to release a postskin and they needed to hack the backend for it to work, i do not want that getting released, instead i want the developer to talk to me and we can see what i can do.

I spose ill let it fly, but just have some guidlines for developers and users.

Eg.
For Lightality Hacks
1) Contact me if you whish to do something, or are curious about something
2) Go for it, Or i go for it, Or we both go for it...
3) We compare results
4) We make a decision
5) We release it

Yer so like for b2evo, say i just thought up the autosave feature, i go post my idea on it, see if other people are interested, get the go from the developer, then whoever is chosen starts developing it, submits their results, then we work on implementing it.
Yer so really i jsut want every hack and things to be posted about.

I dunno ill release it, see how it goes, and if i don't like how something is going development wise ill see if i can change it.

Like really I want all Lightality installations to share the same feel and experience, yer i know.

All things that go by me i stick on a Verified badge or sumthing.

Allright sounds good now for my other things, just give a credit if it is used, thats just the GPL license isnt it?

4 Mar 24, 2006 21:24

As the girl said to the sailor..
"Put it out there and it will get messed with"

I think you can have conditions that give you some sort of "legal" comfort ( not a lot I expect) but at the end of the day you can't realy expect to have tight control over your good work.
It's the nature of the www beast and expect to be disappointed.

I hope it works out well and that the majority respect your wishes

5 Mar 24, 2006 21:27

Yer well i thought up a seal or sumthing, so if i know about and i validate it, then they can show the validated seal on their site, or mod.

So no the only limitation is giving a credit to me, so anyone know which license i should go for?

Edit:
Heres a preview of the seals idea;
http://lightality.com/seals.png

Form is loading...