Recent Topics

1 May 06, 2006 15:30    

Ok, I'll admit it - I don't understand much about spam fighting and all that. I have installed a couple of the hacks to help, but I'm not even sure those work (except that I've gotten less comment spam since I installed them than before). I probably overused the antispam list (or at least relied on it too much). I was smart enough to upgrade my cpanel/fantastico install of b2evolution to the latest dawn version. I don't get much traffic on my blog, nor do I post very often on it. SO. My question is this:

1. Upgrade to 1.6 even though it is not ready for primetime (or is it?)

OR

2. Wait for the antispam list to come back online / upgrade to 0.9.2

I'm leaning towards #1, but I don't know what the implications are of installing something that isn't quite ready yet. I don't guess it would matter much since not many read the blog. Are the instructions for this upgrade fairly easy for a semi-adventurous newbie to follow without trashing my current diggs?

Thanks! I appreciate the software - other than losing the antispam list, I hadn't had a bit of trouble with it!

2 May 06, 2006 17:43

1.6 was ready-enough to go public, but it's got some known bugs. Nothing that hurts most installations - just some bugs. If you want to upgrade to 1.6 you can, or you can wait till .9.2 is out (if it's not already). Either way you'll be able to upgrade to 1.8 when the time is appropriate for that.

AFAIK neither of these options will add to the antispam arsenal. 1.8 will when it comes out, but it's never a good idea to wait for a future release because the dev team doesn't work to a "gotta publish" schedule.

As for the antispam central system: it's going to come back. In the mean time it will still work as your own antispam system. When you get spam click the ban symbol like normal and you'll clean out the offenders and block them locally. The only thing missing is reporting and getting the updates based on other reporters.

Bottom line: don't sweat the upgrade if you're thinking of it for antispam measures. .9.1 is a really strong version.

3 May 07, 2006 23:25

Like I said, I know enough to be dangerous. I thought I understood Phoenix had all the antispam stuff. So I think I will apply the new Dawn when it comes out.

Form is loading...