Recent Topics

1 Jul 11, 2006 20:36    

This may have already been done before but i will be porting over my existing work with avatars from skins into a plugin.

It will have support for per-skin avatars, and blog, category, post, and user avatars.

You can see a existing implemenation of the code which will be ported over at my blog;
http://blogs.balupton.com/?skin=Lightality
You can customize which avatars you are seeing by changing the avatar style within the Customize Panel.

3 Jul 12, 2006 00:48

EdB wrote:

http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewforum.php?f=9 worked for the version it was written for, if that helps.

Eh... that link goes to the plugin and hacks forum...

I already have all the code already done, but just not as a plugin.

So really i'm just doing a port of existing word into a plugin.

Anyway, if your asking why this post isn't in the Plugin & Hacks forum instead of this forum, because the plugin hasn't been made yet, so it goes here first, then when it is made it goes in the Plugin & Hacks forum...

Yeh...

4 Jul 12, 2006 01:33

balupton wrote:

This may have already been done before but i will be porting over my existing work with avatars from skins into a plugin.

That's why I linked to the existing avatar plugin. Figured maybe since it's old you hadn't seen it? Plus it's in the request forum eh? Upgrading it, or something that provides the core functionality of 'avatars for bloggers' to real pluginability will be cool.

balupton wrote:

It will have support for per-skin avatars, and blog, category, post, and user avatars.

I don't really understand this part. Avatar being an image associated with a person and all. An avatar for a skin? A category? A blog? Not sure I understand what the value of avatars in those situations is. Specially for a skin!

5 Jul 12, 2006 01:39

That's why I linked to the existing avatar plugin.

Thats the thing you linked to the forum not the topic...

I don't really understand this part.

Ok if you go to my blog, look at the different avatars next to the post titles;
http://blogs.balupton.com/index.php
http://blogs.balupton.com/index.php?blog=5
http://blogs.balupton.com/index.php?blog=6

The avatars are the blog's avatar.

Now if you go here;
http://blogs.balupton.com/index.php?blog=6&Lightality-%3EAvatars-%3EStyle=Author

The avatars are now the author's avatar.

Now i have support for category avatars, but i do not use them on my site.

And i will be adding post avatars when i make the plugin.

Does this help?

No point in using author avatars if the uses b2evo only has one author.
And no point in using blog avatars if for a multi author blog.
If the blog reports news, category avatars are good so you can include a logo of the company or project you are reporting about.
Or if you have a personal blog, then you may want to use post avatars, so like if you post something about your fav band, include their logo, or a gallery about your winter holidarys, include a photo, etc etc.

Each blog will have different default avatar settings, and the user will be able to customize this just like you did with the above example.

Also the avatar plugin will also include its own avatar manager system.

Edit:
Also the avatars will come in sets, default, and then skin sets, as for different skins you may want the avatar to look different. E.g. different background, if the avatar does not exist for the current skin that is being used then use the default avatar.
This does not apply to post avatars as they are not skin specific.

6 Jul 12, 2006 01:56

Okay I get it. You're using "avatar" to mean "icon". Generally speaking "avatar" in the online world refers to an image that represents a person.

7 Jul 12, 2006 01:59

EdB wrote:

Okay I get it. You're using "avatar" to mean "icon". Generally speaking "avatar" in the online world refers to an image that represents a person.

To me icons are the little images on the left of the title bar of this window. And all the things in my quicklaunch bar, and my systray.

To me avatars are big icons ;)
In my speaking avatar refers to an image that represents something

I wonder if i'm right, dictionary.com to the rescue ;)

Eh. spose your right.

Anyway their still avatars to me :)

Edit:
Anyway the Icon Plugin is misleading... And the Avatar Icon Plugin sounds wierd... Don't you think

8 Jul 12, 2006 08:00

balupton wrote:

Anyway the Icon Plugin is misleading... And the Avatar Icon Plugin sounds wierd... Don't you think

BUt don't call them avatars, because that is misleading for all the rest of the world.

It's awesome that you will do the thing that you want to do.
There will be a bunch of people who want to use it

But don't call it avatar.

Sometimes, finding a name for something great is more work than the coding itself..

9 Jul 12, 2006 14:17

Hrmm, ok, Icons Plugin...

Icons and Avatar PLugin

Meh who says yay to Icons Plugin? unless you can think of a better name...

10 Jul 12, 2006 16:10

Not to diss your effort, but I would suggest breaking the plugin down to each component AND offering an "all in one" plugin.

• The uni-blogger with many blogs would be interested in your BLOGATAR plugin . Especially people like me who use blog #1 as the main entry page.

• Folks who have a few bloggers with lots of categories would go for your CATATAR plugin so visitors could see at a glance if the article is about something they're interested in.

• "big images" for skins is the weirdest one to me. Doesn't the skin itself say what the skin is, or are you thinking each skin will have a little image that sort of shows the skin instead of just text? Whatever. It'd probably be a SKINATAR eh?

• The single blog with many bloggers would go for your AVATAR plugin, and of course the meaning is universally understood.[/list:u]

• I can easily imagine cases where an installation might want 3 or 4 of these -atars available, so those folk would really want to install your "Balupton Goes Crazy With Avatars" plugin. ------------------ "Gravatar" didn't automatically mean anything. You had to learn what it was all about, but then it made sense. That's what I was thinking of as I was thinking of how it'd be nice to have only the bit you wanted to use.

11 Jul 12, 2006 16:19

"big images" for skins is the weirdest one to me. Doesn't the skin itself say what the skin is, or are you thinking each skin will have a little image that sort of shows the skin instead of just text? Whatever. It'd probably be a SKINATAR eh?

Eh? I never said avatars for skins.... I think you got confused. Heres the file structure;

/avatar_plugin/
  /avatars/
    /blogs/
      /default/
      /custom/
      /happyblog/
      /another skin name/
    /users/
      /default/
      /custom/
      /happyblog/
      /another skin name/
    /categories/
      /default/
      /custom/
      /happyblog/
      /another skin name/
    /posts/
      /default/

As you want to use different avatars for different skins to keep the same style, like on my blog, if i used the avatar;
http://blogs.balupton.com/Lightality/Includes/PostSkins/Lightality%20%28Standard%29%20%28Default%29/Avatars/Blog%20%28Default%29/2.jpg
With the custom skin, wouldn't really go together.

Anyway, i don't see the point in breaking it up....
I'll release the avatar plugin, then you can make the decision about splitting it up, to me it is pointless and a waste.

Anyway, using your style of naming, BALUPTONS CRAZY ALL IN ONE AVATAR ICON PLUGIN THINGO, yeh but i think i'll be sticking to Icon/Avatar Plugin. ;)

12 Jul 12, 2006 16:27

balupton wrote:

Sounds like per-skin avatars to me!

The point about breaking it up is something we disagreed on previously: bloatware. Features I'll never use are, to me, bloat. So if I wanted icons for cats I'd be better off just going there than having that code also decide if it's going to select an image for a blog or the author. Heck you could do it with checkboxes in the plugin's settings.

13 Jul 12, 2006 16:29

Except the thing is there is no performance issues, there is no downside to it at all. Bloatware is like adding un-needed things that ultimately just de-grade performance. There will be no, performance degrading in this, i'll do it up now, and you can see for yourself.

14 Jul 12, 2006 16:42

I'll use blogatar and catatar
I'll use it a lot
I'm sure of it..

So .. You're welcome to make it.. whatever name it will be..

Use the name blogatar and catatar in your plugin.. It will make sence at the end..

15 Jul 20, 2006 16:17

Thanks balupton, I've been waiting for an avatar plugin for 1.8 for a while now. When do you think you'll release it? Also, your lightality skin is looking real nice, can't wait for it to be released. Keep up the good work. :D

16 Jul 20, 2006 16:29

Today i finally got free time again, and it's ranking high on my todo list.

You could speed things up by providing feedback on the design for the next version of the Gallery Plugin ;)

Oh for the naming, i'll decide something when i release it...

17 Jul 30, 2006 10:01

So with the 1.8 release we'll be able to assign users avatars for their posts and comments?

If so is there for me to assign who the post was written by?

Meaning:

I over see all posts. If a user wants to post something they email it to me and i write it out and post it. is there anyway for me to assign which user (therefor which avatar) it is by?

18 Jul 30, 2006 10:05

You will be able to attach a avatar to that post, hence the 'Blog, Category, Author, Post' modes.

So for the post avatar you would have a image of the author or whatever.

My priorities are currently with the gallery plugin, but if anyone wants to help develop this feel free to contact me.

19 Jul 30, 2006 10:07

ok thanks,

I love the gallery plugin by the way

20 Aug 13, 2006 21:50

any news on the avatar plugin?

21 Aug 31, 2006 05:41

is this project dead for the time being?

22 Aug 31, 2006 11:12

Not dead, just postponed. My priorities are still elsewhere.

Form is loading...