Recent Topics

1 Oct 25, 2006 19:25    

Help! 8|

Does anyone know how to add a drop down menu to the backoffice under the write tab?

I need a drop down menu because I plan to create thousands of blogs under one domain name and without a drop down menu it may be quite difficult to get users to login and leave posts if they have to scroll down an endless page of blog links. The blogs I create will rely on user contributed information so it will be very important for the posting process to be as simple and easy as possible.

The reason why I need to start thousands of blogs instead of one blog with thousands of categories is because each blog will be SEO'd to targeted keywords (blog title, blog name, stub file, image, description, page text, etc., targetd to specific keyword phrases). By making categories only, I wouldn't be able to correctly optimize each blog to attract the best paying Adsense/YPN ads/SE rankings.

Can someone please help me?!

P.S. I know zero about computer languages, web languages, installing this or modifiying that (Thank God for XsitePro). If you can help me, please be clear with your instructions 'cause I'm kinda' dumb. :|

2 Nov 01, 2006 18:46

I believe that users only see the blogs in the appropriate tabs in the back office that they have permission to.

Like i'm pretty sure that a normal user would not see anything in the blog settings tab, or the write tab, or even the posts tab.

Correct me if i'm wrong here.

3 Nov 02, 2006 01:28

This is what I get. Tell me if I'm doing something wrong...PLEASE!

I created 3 New blogs to go with the four that come with the script.

After creating each blog I click on the App Settings tab, click User Can Register Themselves, and set each user as a Blogger. If I didn't set all new users as Bloggers no one would be able to register...right?

After clicking SAVE on the App Settings tab, I click the Blog Settings tab, choose a New blog, click the Group Permissions tab, click Editor in the Bloggers column, and then click SAVE.

The next thing I do is click the Blog Settings tab again, and choose my desired Blog URL.

After my chosen new blog loads, I logout as Admin, register and login as a new user, and the first thing I come to is the text field under the Write tab. While in this section, I see the words New Post In Blog, which displays a list of blogs, near the top of the page.

Since I have to set up all of my blogs according to the directions given above, each time a new user registers and logs in, they can see all of my blogs displayed in the New Post In Blog section. This is true whether I have 8 or nine blogs or 8 or 9,000 blogs.

That's the reason why I need a drop down menu under the Write tab.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, and if I am, please tell me what it is. It would be great if I could set things up so new users can only see a few blogs in the New Post In Blog area.

P.S. Thanks a lot for your response, balupton. I didn't think I was going to get a response. :)

4 Nov 02, 2006 01:58

What you're doing is setting up each new registrant as a blogger in every blog you have. They will, as far as I understand it, have permission to post and edit all posts in every blog you have. This happens bcause you set the group permission for each blog to "editor" and have each new registrant be a member of that group. Thousands of blogs and thousands of bloggers? All capable of editing each others posts? Is that what you want?

There have been very few hacks done in the back office, and only a small portion of those affect the interface. Assuming a dropdown list for which blogs one could post in having thousands of blogs would produce a dropdown list that went all the way into the cellar!!!

Anyway yes: enabling registration means random visitors can sign up for your blog. Normally they have no permissions, but by putting them in a group with permissions they get the rights of that group.

Form is loading...