Recent Topics

1 Jan 23, 2007 10:22    

Contemplating the upgrade to 1.9 right now, i know that the plugin infrastructure has changed a bit, and curious as to whether 1.9 plugins will still work with 1.8?

And i've always been confused as to what stable really means in the b2evolution world? I've just always interpreted it to mean, will perform better on huge huge huge loads.... Can someone clear this up.

Cheers.

2 Jan 23, 2007 11:02

It all depends on the hooks and stuff that a plugin uses, for example 1.9.2 has 'DisplayCommenToolbar' that things like the smilies plugin can hook into, 1.8.x doesn't.

I believe stable means "no major bugs and few minor bugs, but as bugs are only found after release this doesn't mean no bugs" ..... ish

¥

3 Jan 23, 2007 12:16

yeah but isn't there a _construct hook in 1.9? has that been backported to 1.8...

4 Jan 23, 2007 13:08

Personally I would expect that a 1.9.* plugin would not work in 1.8.* even though probably 80% of them will. Especially if you're thinking of a plugin developed against 1.9.1 and thinking about using it in 1.8.7 for example. My thinking is that most people who write a plugin will use the hooks they need and call it a 1.9.2 plugin because that's the version they were using when they wrote it even though it uses hooks that have existed for a handful of releases.

I'm not sure I understand "backported" but the official releases never change even if CVS is updated for that particular branch.

Stable - to me - means, the amount of confidence Francois has that it's not going to get a zillion bug reports immediately. I guess he takes into account how much has changed and how much of the changed stuff has been tested under how many possible configurations of use. The whole "multi multi multi" thing ya know? For example 1.9.2 is called "stable". I'm guessing that means mostly bug fixes with minor changes that have an extremely low likelyhood of adding new bugs. I haven't used 1.9.* yet because it didn't say "stable" and I got burned with the whole 1.6 thing. Blech. Don't wanna do that again :(

Form is loading...