Recent Topics

1 May 02, 2004 11:11    

Hi!

For people who live in a region/country/whatever where two languages are used, or for people building a site whose readers are expected to speak different languages, it's totally necessary to have a multilanguage content support.

I mean, not only the "static" text of the blog ("Read more...", "Calendar", "Archive", and so on), but also let the user to choose in wich language he/she wants to see the contents.

I guess this could be already possible with b2evo by means of constructing several "parallel" blogs, one for each language your site is supposed to support. But, [u]how can I do the "connection" between the different language blog versions?[/u]

In Mambo (http://www.mamboserver.com/), there exists a "Component" or a kind of hack called MambelFish that allows the administrator to introduce all the post language versions in the same "edit post" backoffice window. I think it would be great if b2evo had a similar feature within the backoffice.
Looking fordward to read your answers.

2 May 03, 2004 00:11

We're thinking about it, seriously.

3 May 14, 2004 15:05

I need this too!

[]?s
- Walter

4 May 14, 2004 17:31

Seriously, this feature is the only reason we're shy on numbering our current release 1.0 :P

5 May 15, 2004 01:02

On the same note, how difficult is it to integrate b2evo into Mambo?

6 May 15, 2004 01:22

By the way, right now I'm trying to build mi website with b2 evo and mambo.

I think b2evo is a good ?optimal, I think? tool for a blog, weblog, multiple blog, rolling blog (or "lists of things" blog...), maybe even photo galleries...

[The only thing that I miss is a customed GIF or JPG for each category]

But I also think that Mambo is a very good CMS (Content Management System), and I'm going to use it for that parts of my website that are "not static" but aren't real blogs neither.

Those parts of my website contain a kind of "articles" or "notes", ordered by categories, but are not as "dinamic" as a weblog is. They are more like "news", or something like that. And also, I want this kind of articles to be available for the visitor in several languages ?so, that's why Mambo is perfect for that part of my website.

In the other hand, I think b2evo is more flexible in order to build a blog (Mambo doesn't have subcategories, and is difficult to order the entries in inverse cronological order and to get "automatic" archive pages...) . That's why I do not want to use only Mambo, at the moment. Mambo is more "news" oriented, than "blog" oriented. b2evo is a flexible blog tool.

What do you think?

7 May 16, 2004 06:30

Yes, I absolutely agree that Mambo is a great CMS but has it's limitations. Currently, our website is using Mambo because of it's ease of use and powerful Mambelfish translation feature and we are using MoveableType for our Blog (the blog component in Mambo is pretty lame as it does not support pings etc.)

We have gotten requests from our members to allow a individual member BLOGs, that's why we are looking at B2Evo. The other one we are considering is PLOG. But I think B2Evo is the winner at this point because of its much friendlier user interface.

It will be great if B2Evo can tap into the Mambo user database so that users need not re-register again. I think this is not too difficult to hack it but I'd prefer it to be officially built into B2Evo so that we can upgrade easily in future. What do you guys think?

8 May 16, 2004 10:46

Mambo is the #2 most talked about CMS after MT these days...

I'll have an in depth look at mambo soon and see what can be done.

9 May 13, 2010 00:00

fplanque wrote:

We're thinking about it, seriously.

Is this implemented by now (6 years later)? Are there any sample Blogs which show multi-language? I am currently setting up a website with English and German content (which has to be posted simultaneous in both languages). Ideally I think that a Language Flag where I would switch the forum language and then the user will see the user interface and content in the local language. And the different blogs on top should stay within that language.

That would be really nice to have. Maybe someone did set this up already similar?

Peter

10 Aug 04, 2011 08:07

petergeier wrote:

Is this implemented by now (6 years later)? Are there any sample Blogs which show multi-language?

I still don't see the point to this feature, but as usual with open-source, if you want it, implement it and send the patch.

11 Sep 10, 2011 22:23

It is not implemented 6 years later because SEO best practices have shown most people don't really want to do it this way...

12 Sep 12, 2011 08:46

zooplah wrote:

petergeier wrote:

Is this implemented by now (6 years later)? Are there any sample Blogs which show multi-language?

I still don't see the point to this feature, but as usual with open-source, if you want it, implement it and send the patch.

hello,
I'm very new here and signed on to exactly get an answer to this.

I've been searching for the possibility of running the blog in 2 languages (german and english) because I want the feature for users to change the language to theirs when they sign on.

For now I'm running the german version so every button will be in german only.

I' could change to the english version though... but will I have to re-install everything then? Or can I switch to english with replacing particular files? If so which ones???

13 Sep 12, 2011 21:49

cleo33, you can do 1 blog in English with english posts and english navigation and 1 blog in German with german posts and german navigation.

Does that work for you?

14 Sep 13, 2011 06:39

fplanque wrote:

cleo33, you can do 1 blog in English with english posts and english navigation and 1 blog in German with german posts and german navigation.

Does that work for you?

uhm..yes ;P finally found the options to change it ( which is not that easy for newbies cuz I'd never thought I had to look and THAT place to activate several language choices!)

15 Sep 29, 2011 01:30

Celo33, ok I can move it to a more convenient place. Where did you first look and expect to activate language choices?

Form is loading...