Recent Topics

1 May 17, 2007 15:54    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Is this possible? I would like to have my blog pages display 7 entries, but I would like the most recent entry to include the comments entry boxes. All the sikins I see make you click once to enter or read comments, I would like for a user to be 'prompted' by seing the comments.....

what kind of code to I need to implement to get this? will that make all the entries show a comment box, or can I limit it to the first?

Thanks
NEil

2 May 17, 2007 16:12

crack open your skins _main.php and change this line :

require( dirname(__FILE__).'/_feedback.php' );

to look like this :

echo 'I wish I hadn\'t removed the backlink :|';

¥

3 May 17, 2007 16:14

actually, I figured out that I can display comments - but when there are no comments it still displays, so its ugly. ANy way to clear tha up based on whether or not there are comments?

When I change the option to display the comment FORM in _feedback.php I don't get the comment form on my page....like i did with comments. WHat's holding it back?

4 May 17, 2007 19:58

I don't know php Y but I'm not stupid, it could be a funny joke for someone though....

That simply removes the ability to give any kind of feedback, or were you suggesting I replace feedback.php in my _main.php file? - that seem's excessive.

I changed the variable to allow the feedback form, but it didn't show up - what's holding it back....

5 May 17, 2007 20:04

This is what is in my _main.php:

<a name="commments" id="commments"></a>
	<?php // ------------- START OF INCLUDE FOR COMMENTS -------------
	 $disp_comments = 1;	 // Display the comments if requested
	 $disp_comment_form = 1; // Display the comments form if comments requested
	 // -------- END OF INCLUDE FOR COMMENTS, TRACKBACK, PINGBACK, ETC. ------
	 locale_restore_previous();	// Restore previous locale (Blog locale)
	?>

THis is what's in my _feedback.php:

if( empty($c) )
{	// Comments not requested
	$disp_comments = 0;					// DO NOT Display the comments if not requested
	$disp_comment_form = 0;			// DO NOT Display the comments form if not requested
}

6 May 17, 2007 20:34

That's YaBBa's attempt at humor. Backlink is the term some use for the link in your skin to b2evolution.net. Your blog doesn't have one. Giving credit to the b2evolution project is not a requirement of using the software, but forum users are not required to help you either. Users who are willing to have that link in their skin show support for the project, help advertise b2evolution and improve the project's search engine rankings. This type of user is much more likely to get help in the forum.

My suggestion: Add a link to b2evolution on your site somewhere like most other skins do. You can use the stock button that comes in the custom skin, you can make your own button to match your site, or you can just use a plain text link. Once that's done, I'm sure YaBBa will be more than happy to help you.

Moderators: we should write this explanation up and put it in the manual so we can just link to it rather than typing out every time. We could make a nice polite explanation and maybe we'd link to it instead of getting snarky.

7 May 17, 2007 22:09

I'd still get snarky unless Y beats me to it.

OTOH I should figure out how to do this then thank solecist for the idea by sharing the method. It wouldn't be for 1.8.5 though. No sense in that.

8 May 17, 2007 22:17

Ok well if I were thinking just along UI, I'd provide a small comment box - upon which they type their text. Then when they enter their comment they get a confirmation page that asks them to confirm their name, pass a variable, and post the comment. But that's just me...

10 May 17, 2007 22:41

snarky is right - I htink it was probably lost when I went through the headache of converting the skin from .92

Sorry I ask

11 May 17, 2007 22:44

You now have the word b2evolution in your skin, but it's not a link yet. You're halfway there. ;)

12 May 17, 2007 23:03

I haven't done skin work in a long time but I'll give this a go. solecist upgrading skins has been a PITA for everyone, but it's the price we pay for the 'growing pains' b2evolution is going through. I personally hope it stops, and stops SOON, but ... well ... I'm not holding my breath.

13 May 18, 2007 10:40

Actually the "snarkiness" ( is that a word ) was unintentional, I just deleted the solution when I noticed the lack of a backlink.

if( empty( $have_shown ) )
{
  $c = ( $c || generic_ctp_number( $Item->ID, 'feedbacks', 'published' ) ? 1 : 0 );
  $have_shown = true;
}

¥

14 May 18, 2007 15:20

Oh man you suck. Now I have to pretend I never saw this so I can invent it myself :(

15 May 18, 2007 15:40

Or you could just edit both our posts and move the answer to yours B)

¥

Form is loading...