Recent Topics

1 Apr 28, 2008 17:54    

My b2evolution Version: 2.4.1

Hi everyone

I have spent a lot of time searching and testing various blogging software (perhaps too much time!), CMS's, etc - only to be disappointed each time because of the lack of or limited support for multi-user/author blogs.

Such was the case when I installed the latest version of b2evolution the other day. I was so impressed initially that I almost peed myself but when I really began trying to use it, configuring it, etc, no matter what I did, I could not for the life of me get it to do the "multi-user/multi-author/multi-blog" thing (ie; each user with thier own separate blog).

I don't care if the new user has to verify their email address first.

I don't care if the new user does not have a blog automatically generated for them after registering.

I don't even care if the new user has 500 templates to choose from.

All I want is for the new user, upon registering, to be automatically taken to the default.php page (easy enough) where they can click on the "create new blog" link and actually choose a theme and begin creating their new "normal blog", "photo blog" or "group blog" and without admin approval or me having to set up their permissions after they've created an account.

Does b2 do this natively...out-of-the-box and how?. I'm really stumped here.

Each and every time I've tried this (and I've tried it a thousand different ways) when I create a new "test" member, sign in and click on the "Create new blog" link, it ALWAYS gives me an "access denied" and "blog:create" error or tells me that I need to "contact the administrator" or "you do not have permission", etc.

What am I missing here?. I have played with this software until I was blue in the face and finally ended up uninstalling it but I would really like to give it a second try because I think it is a fabulous piece of software and I am very, very impressed with it overall.

Thanks so much for any help you folks can provide!.

- Jim

2 Apr 28, 2008 19:40

This :

future_b2_user wrote:

I don't care if the new user does not have a blog automatically generated for them after registering.

Kinda contradicts this :

future_b2_user wrote:

All I want is for the new user, upon registering, to be automatically taken to the default.php page (easy enough) where they can click on the "create new blog" link and actually choose a theme and begin creating their new "normal blog", "photo blog" or "group blog" and without admin approval or me having to set up their permissions after they've created an account.

It's pretty much the same thing, just a different point on the timeline when a blog is automatically created huh?

But this :

future_b2_user wrote:

Does b2 do this natively...out-of-the-box and how?. I'm really stumped here.

Thanks so much for any help you folks can provide!.

- Jim

I'm afraid is answered by this :
¥åßßå wrote:

No

There was/is a plugin for previous versions of evo that enabled this, but the author now uses dupal and it's never been upgraded/recoded for the 2.4.x world.

¥

3 Apr 28, 2008 20:02

How is this a contradiction?.

No, I really DON'T care if a blog is automatically generated for them upon registering . They can remain blissfully blog-less or they can (optionally) choose to create a new blog without the need for me to have to APPROVE them once they have registered.

And it is that "time-line" that prevents me from being able to use this software in the manner that I had hoped to use it (ie; the difference between admin approval AFTER they have registered vs the ability for them to create a blog after they have registered without having to WAIT for approval).

I feel I've been misunderstood here so I'll look elsewhere for a solution. Perhaps "dupal"...

4 Apr 29, 2008 00:09

Actually, the current version of b2evolution will not allow users to create blogs themselves. That has to be done by an admin... or a plugin...

It is on the todo list, but wasn't such a high priority so far since there was a plugin for it.

5 Apr 29, 2008 01:42

I'm pretty sure drupal won't do what you want either. AFAIK nothing will. Have you tried putting new members in the "admin" group? You might have to turn on "use advanced settings" on a (or all?) blogs then giving admin group permission to do stuff in a (or all?) blogs, but I'm pretty sure that will give them permission to create new blogs.

The problem here is that if you give a complete stranger high enough permission to create a new blog you will probably also give them permission to edit existing blogs - including deleting them.

Basically b2evolution does multi-blog multi-author straight out of the box and has done it that way ever since it came out. What it doesn't do (without the hack or plugin that are unsupported for current releases) is make an installation be like "blogspot" or other sites that have stuff happen automagically.

6 May 10, 2008 05:40

Last thing first, fck editor is also available for b2 and very easy to install and use..
(edit: i might have misread or misunderstood )I cant agree with you that b2 community is unfriendly, actually this was the forum i got answer right away until now.In addition they were kind too.
I have came up with some specific needs later on, and they have generously rendered their help.Then i have realized the needs are unlimited but the time is.- for everybody-
However, b2evo is one of the easiest cms' you can customize once you get familiar to it.
I guess the plugin you asked for is, [url=http://plugins.b2evolution.net/index.php/2006/08/25/autoblog_plugin_for_1_8]Autoblog Plugin[/url], i am not sure if it's working or not, try digging the forum for more information and fixes..

7 May 10, 2008 06:17

Ohhhh noooo...I never, ever said, implied (or meant to say or imply) in any way that the b2 folks were unfriendly. I was simply trying to make the point that no matter which way I turned, I couldn't seem to win. Quite the contrary, I think the people here are GREAT and I have no beef with anyone - even though I deleted the post you somehow managed to reply to and have decided to stick with Drupal for now.

Thanks again for the info though and I hope everyone has a FANTASTIC day :)

Form is loading...