Recent Topics

1 Jul 05, 2004 03:13    

I want my code to be valid by w3c standards. This is important to me. When I click on the w3c xhtml 1.0 logo on the bottom of my this page I get this: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomkaszuba.com%2Fblogs%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3D1%26disp%3Dposts%26paged%3D2

Please help me out here. When I was using old fashion pure html to create my web sites I always made sure my code was valid and fixed the errors by hand. One thing that I don't get either is when I use IE6 and go to view > source...I can see all the code. Where can I see that using Dreamweaver MX 2004's editor? Bottom line...How do I make my code valid?

BTW: I fixed my index.php page that did not validate in w3c either because of a tag I used to start a paragraph using the b2evol blog this! area where one types in a new post. I used Textpad to view the source code and it indicated what looked like correct <p> text would be here </p> as a paragraph. But apparently the <p> tag is used for other things as well which confused the w3c validator.

2 Jul 05, 2004 17:12

the ampresand error on line 167 will be a common thorn in anyone obsessed with validation but luckally very easy to fix.

XML will not render '&' because it expects a charactor entity, therefore XHTML wont validate it. Find and replace all offending '&' with '&amp;'

fixing that one instance (so far) of '&' will clear ALL of those validation errors listed.

3 Jul 05, 2004 17:49

Thanks for the response. Where exactly do I "find it"? If I hit view > source in IE6 I can see it. I'm using Dreamweaver as an editor. I post through IE6. Can you point to the right file so I can fix this thing? Thank you.

4 Jul 05, 2004 18:35

View Code in Dreamweaver will allow you to get to that line.

I would recommend using UltraEdit www.ultraedit.com for any code fixing/tweaking.

the file should be index.php

5 Jul 06, 2004 06:20

:( I looked at the index.php files. There are more than one. It doesn't have 167 lines in it. Please tell me how to edit this code in Dreamweaver or any text editor you want (I do have ultraedit BTW). I have a whole slew of files on the remote server and I have no clue where to look for the code I am trying to fix. I looked at index.php and saw nothing resembling the code I get when I hit view > source in IE6. I'm pretty good with html and css. I'm new to php. I just can't find the file or code that needs fixing. Please help me and spell out the instructions clearly. Thank you.

6 Jul 06, 2004 06:30

I clearly see the code in Ultraedit on line 167 and it's easily fixable with a quick edit. But!!! I don't know where to edit which file on the server. Plus: Why can't I view the text I post? I can see it in IE6 with the view > source. But I can't find my posted text on my server. Help me please. :oops:

7 Jul 06, 2004 07:55

This is the offending link:

167: 		<a href="/blogs/index.php?page=1&disp=posts&paged=2&amp;page=1&amp;disp=posts&amp;paged=1">&lt;&lt; Previous Page</a> :: 	...

The error is most likely happening on line 118-124 of .../blogs/skins/custom/_main.php.

<p class="center"><strong>
		<?php posts_nav_link(); ?>
		<?php 
			// previous_post( '<p class="center">%</p>' );
			// next_post( '<p class="center">%</p>' );
		?>
	</strong></p>

[url=http://isaacschlueter.com/all?skin=custom]I can't repro it.[/url] If you've done anything to change any of the URL-generating functions, then that was probably the mistake. If not, wait for the next release, as it's most likely corrected.

8 Jul 06, 2004 08:14

And the text of your posts is stored in the database, you'll need to log into phpmyadmin or something like that to see the text you post.

9 Jul 06, 2004 17:32

isaac wrote:

This is the offending link:

167: 		<a href="/blogs/index.php?page=1&disp=posts&paged=2&amp;page=1&amp;disp=posts&amp;paged=1">&lt;&lt; Previous Page</a> :: 	...

The error is most likely happening on line 118-124 of .../blogs/skins/custom/_main.php.

<p class="center"><strong>
		<?php posts_nav_link(); ?>
		<?php 
			// previous_post( '<p class="center">%</p>' );
			// next_post( '<p class="center">%</p>' );
		?>
	</strong></p>

[url=http://isaacschlueter.com/all?skin=custom]I can't repro it.[/url] If you've done anything to change any of the URL-generating functions, then that was probably the mistake. If not, wait for the next release, as it's most likely corrected.

=> I did nothing to change any of the URL-generating functions. So...no "mistake" on my part. Wait for the next release? Why can't I correct the situation now?

11 Jul 07, 2004 06:00

I'll wait for 0.9.0.10. Thanks for the response.

12 Jul 07, 2004 17:29

I installed Madrid and the invalid code problem is solved. I checked everything out in w3c validating service and it's all good. Thanks for the great advice as usual. BTW: The new default custom page is really well done. Beautiful design.

Form is loading...