Recent Topics

1 Aug 03, 2009 01:51    

Hi, ok, so I´m starting to play around with b2evo and I want to create a translation for swedish. There is an old one, that I´m starting with but still there are like 1500 untranslated or fuzzy strings.

One thing that would make the task less daunting for me (and I think for future translators too) would be if there where multiple pots instead of one big.

I understand that the best is if all strings are translated but I also see several levels that could be accomplished in steps so that we (the translators) can get started and see good results in ´no´ time.

What I am envisioning is something like 3-4 pots for different groups of users.
- public: all strings that are shown to the readers of the blog
- blogger: the admin interface shown to regular bloggers
(- powerblogger: the admin interface shown to users that are above basic blogger but below administrator)
(- widgets/plugins: if possible every plgin should have their own file, so that you can start with translating the ones you actually are going to use)
- admin: the full admin interface

Like this I would know what strings to actually start with and can concentrate my efforts in such a way that I get usable results fastest.

I don´t know if gettext and/or php can handle this as I think it would require some kind of fallback functionality where if a need string isn´t found in one file it should be looked for in another one. (I think this would be good so that you don´t have to translate some very common words/expressions many times)

Just an idea, that I can help out implementing if enough devs/translators/users find it useful.

/tsr

2 Aug 03, 2009 15:03

That'd be an absolute bitch to implement, not saying it's not a good idea but it would involve a shedload of extra ( manual ) work by the devs to split the various strings into different .po files, whereas atm it's all done by running gettext.

¥

3 Sep 04, 2009 04:29

¥åßßå wrote:

That'd be an absolute bitch to implement, not saying it's not a good idea but it would involve a shedload of extra ( manual ) work by the devs to split the various strings into different .po files, whereas atm it's all done by running gettext.

¥

Yeah, but the one truly odd thing about it is that the strings for the included plugins are in the POT. At the very least, each plugin should use its own translations.

4 Sep 04, 2009 05:20

I understand how it would be difficult, but I think it could be done without all that much more work.

So, like right before wrapping up a release someone takes the time to pull out the plugins folder then does the gettext thing to make a .pot for the package. Then of course a .pot for each plugin.

Once there it could be two steps to actually split the package's pot. First pull out the plugins folder, then pull out the skins_adm folder. Now the "core" translation would be broken into public side and private side. And plugins. This way a translator wouldn't feel overwhelmed by the >2800 lines that need translating. Instead starting on public side bits would be logical. Then admin side, then plugins the translator wants to translate.

Neat idea. No argument though on it being quite the manual chore to implement.

5 Sep 04, 2009 05:42

Quick attempt at counting strings in v331...........

Everything EXCEPT the locales folder gives 3088 translatable bits
Dropping out the plugins folder leaves 2872 translatable bits
The plugins folder itself has 230 translatables, so obviously there is some overlap
Dropping out the plugins and skins_adm folder leaves 2837 translatables so that means there isn't much of a gain there - lots of overlap
The skins_adm folder only has 29 translatable bits.

So making plugins that are shipped with the core behave like the vast majority of plugins would be a benefit to folks who want to translate stuff.

Hey! And maybe one day calendar plugin will learn how to have it's own style sheet instead of shoving them off on the core styles ;)

6 Nov 01, 2009 09:37

*begin spam*

Yes the very meaning of image means that it has a source. The very meaning of son also means you have a source, (the Father).

It's quite amazing that this has been overlooked as it is not hard to grasp. Rather it is easy and even a child understands as they are aware that they have parents. Yet the worldly wise are confounded by the mystery of the Trinity, which is no mystery at all. Rather a deception that hides behind the statement, "God is so big that you cannot comprehend him".

Jesus is the image of God, the firstborn. He is the the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being. A representation is also an acknowledgment that you are not the source.

I am glad that there are people who understand these things.

*end spam*

*removed

7 Nov 01, 2009 23:30

Kaderkhan wrote:

*begin spam*

Yes the very meaning of image means that it has a source. The very meaning of son also means you have a source, (the Father).

It's quite amazing that this has been overlooked as it is not hard to grasp. Rather it is easy and even a child understands as they are aware that they have parents. Yet the worldly wise are confounded by the mystery of the Trinity, which is no mystery at all. Rather a deception that hides behind the statement, "God is so big that you cannot comprehend him".

Jesus is the image of God, the firstborn. He is the the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being. A representation is also an acknowledgment that you are not the source.

I am glad that there are people who understand these things.

*end spam*

*removed

And that has what to do with i18n?

8 Nov 02, 2009 16:24

Nothing. It's spam -- the bold comments were made by us, the moderators.

(We probably should simply delete spam posts...)

9 Nov 12, 2009 07:06

Tblue wrote:

Nothing. It's spam -- the bold comments were made by us, the moderators.

(We probably should simply delete spam posts...)

Delete them or move them to the spamhaus, which takes a bit more effort because editing out the spam is pretty much obligatory if you leave the post in place. Leaving them in place screws up the "unread posts" link and the basic index of each forum section is the thing.

I just now deleted three spams that were the tail end of a topic, but I generally don't delete spam from the middle.

Edit: 7 :(

10 Nov 25, 2009 10:48

One thing I constantly find trouble with is that when a new version of b2evolution comes, it is very hard to find what has changed in the translation.

One idea which I have been thinking about is that couldn't there be a central translation tool for example in the website where translators could fill in strings for their own language.

The idea is that in the tool there would be listed all the strings which b2evolution uses. And then you could add new language and translation for each string. Then it would be easy to list strings which still need translation and easy to add new strings.

Then you could just build a new translation from it with each release.

Form is loading...