Recent Topics

1 Jan 01, 2005 19:38    

Hi all,
Happy New Year.
I'm not happy with my host. My site has only been up for a month, and its already been down at least 4 times. I get SQL errors a lot. And when it does load its very slow. This isn't working anymore, I need a new host.

Can someone recommend one that's reasonably priced? This is a personal blog, so I don't want to go overboard on price.

Thanks,
Chris

2 Jan 01, 2005 21:08

lunarpages - http://www.lunarpages.com/plan1.php
$7.95 a month.. for everything you could imagine.. I have found nothing I couldnt use.

For instance I helped a guy set up some scripts, he needed to use sockets in php.. the host he was using didnt allow that, lunarpages does
nother example -- I helped another guy with some damage control from the santy worm -- he had a fairly extensive site that was completely taken down -- lunarpages had a tech go through the latest tape backups, and restored his entire site to the day before the worm hit -- at NO cost

Their tape backups are stored off site, the tech had to travel..

they also have an extensive area for help/chat/anything at www.lunarforums.com

3 Jan 02, 2005 15:19

I'm with [url=http://www.hostrocket.com]HostRocket[/url]. Excellent and fast support. :) As low as $7/mo (if you pay up front for 2 years, full prices are [url=http://www.hostrocket.com/products/index010.htm]here[/url]) for 1000 mb space, 50 GB bandwidth, 10 databases, subdomains, e-mail support, etc.

(If you happen to go with them, tell them I sent ya via a TT - I get a month or 2 for people I refer. ;) And no, I'm not recommending them because of that, I'd recommend them either way. ;))

4 Jan 02, 2005 22:01

[url=http://nexcess.net/affiliates/idevaffiliate.php?id=560]Nexcess.net[/url] has great service and has super-fair pricing on personal sites. Their Mini-Me plan is $6.95 a month. They've also got a huge library of tutorials for setting up opensource products like b2evolution, gallery or whatever you may be using.

Right now it looks like they'll handle a script installation for free for new clients...so they'd set up your b2evo or gallery or whatever free of charge. And, they're giving away free domain names as well.

This is the most customer oriented host I've ever seen. They've hosted a large site of mine for six years as well as my personal site for about two years. I've had no issues with them. Server performance is great. No down-time and they're very attentive to security issues (like the recent PHP problem that allowed hackers to damage the message boards here at b2evolution.net).

Nexcess.net...there is no substitute!

5 Jan 02, 2005 22:22

comparing that mini-me plan for 6.95 monthly:
-500 MB disk space
-15 GB bandwidth
-50 e-mail account

my thoughts:
the ONLY thing that they offer that is even noteworthy are all the the MySQL databases .. only thing is you really only need one, so its kinda a come on to offer so many. I would rather have more diskspace and bandwidth.

7.95 on lunarpages:
-1000 MB diskspace
-40 Gigabytes bandwidth
-99 e-mail addys
my thoughts: im happy

hostrocket's economy plan:
-1000MB diskspace
-50GB bandwidth
- unlimited email addys
my thoughts:
Unless you sign up for 2 years theyre not that cheap. but still a 12 month contract makes them as reasonable as LP. if it were me, I would use them or LP

Note -- im not asking for a kickback either, seems im the only one so far :P

6 Jan 02, 2005 22:34

Well pin a rose on you!

8 Jan 03, 2005 10:44

whoo wrote:

Note -- im not asking for a kickback either, seems im the only one so far :P

:lol: Can you blame me? It's like $20. :P

9 Jan 03, 2005 15:33

nope! not at all!

I could get even more than that -- I just think it taints my opinion, so i only ask them to use me if its someone I know B)

11 Jan 19, 2005 06:20

Has anyone tried DreamHost? I have a friend that uses this but not for forums or blogs. They say they support PHP3 and PHP4 and they seem like they support all the feature but just wondering if anyone had experience with this host?

12 Aug 09, 2005 21:03

Hello
You could try this webhosting guide SUPERHOSTGuide. There you could see many webhosting sites and find a good plain and good price too. *edit* old link removed, blame the spammer that followed you ;)

13 Apr 28, 2007 17:37

I suggest you visit this site
*link removed* I suggest you try and find posts that are a smidge newer than two years old to spam

Form is loading...