Recent Topics

1 Dec 28, 2004 03:29    

Hi - I'm a newbie working through trial and error. I think I've got this worked out, but I'd like to double-check before I do something disastrous.

I've installed b2evo, meddled with templates etc to set it up as I want it. Now I'm getting ambitious and would like to make a second install on the same database. I know this means changing the table prefix for the second install.

I'm looking at conf/_advanced.php and seeing the following;

* database tables' names
* (change them if you want to have multiple b2's in a single database)
*/
$tableposts = 'evo_posts';
$tableusers = 'evo_users';
$tablesettings = 'evo_settings';
$tablecategories = 'evo_categories'; ... etc.

Now - my question is, is this section all I need to change before the second install, or are there other settings on other .php's that need changing also?

Thanks much for any help,

Panth.

2 Dec 28, 2004 03:42

That's it - change the table names and you're golden.

3 Dec 28, 2004 04:26

Brilliant!

Thanks! :D

4 Mar 09, 2006 21:03

I am flirting with the idea of doing a second install of B2Evolution for one of my sub blogs -

I have 4 main blogs, 3 of which are political in nature and all funnel to one main 'all blog' - The last is a reality television blog devoted mainly to American Idol. Usually my political friends don't care to read about the lastest song choice of Kellie Pickler, so I have edited the all blog to skip over certain categories.

The problem is twofold with one other minor irritation.

1) I have a comments sidebar which displays on my mainpage and I have yet to figure out a way to edit that so that it is not dominated with comments from people like "We love you Ace!" - (the AI threads that are not shown on the main page).

2) I would like to eventually possibly have multiple reality show blogs that funnel into an all blog similar to what I have going on my political side.

3) It is a pain to always use the http://www.coldheartedtruth.com/?blog=7 URL when linking places... something like coldheatertedtruth.com/reality would be better.

Now... my question becomes, will using the same data base cause the same issues with all of the comments displaying on the all blog?

I am only using the one SQL database currently and am allowed more. What other advantage would there be in pointing two blogs to one database? If none... what is the harm in using two?

Lastly... is there anything I should know about a second install? Does it automaticcally create a second database, do I have to create the database and point the new install to it? So many questions... so little brain power.

What would jesus do... if Jesus was a B2Evolution expert?

5 Mar 09, 2006 21:10

There really is no advantage to pointing two separate blog sites to one database (sharing the database). Some people want that because they have a limited number of databases they are allowed by their host.

If I were you I would create a new database for your reality show blog(s), then point a new installation of b2 to your new database. Supposedly Phoenix 1.6 can support multiple domains from one installation (and there would be no comment overlap, etc.) but I don't know how easy that is to get working.

6 Mar 09, 2006 22:02

Does the install create a database on it's own... or do you have to create it manully.

7 Mar 09, 2006 22:25

You have to create the database first (using phpmyadmin or cpanel or whatever your host has given you access to). Then you'll need to run the b2e installer which will ask for the database name and your database username and password (which you assign when you create your database).

Take a look at http://manual.b2evolution.net/ in the Installation section for further details.

Form is loading...