Recent Topics

1 Jan 26, 2005 18:43    

Ok here's an interesting behavior, one that i'm sure has not come up since the base functionality of b2evo doesn't really support the way i'm exploiting it. Correct me if this is not how the Blog All is supposed to function ( and i will bow my head in shame and cede this argument ) but as per my previous problem i posted here.

http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=2903

I figured out what the problem was.

Basically in order to give me a window into all my users, a way that i could post announcements and alert all my blog users ( using my mailing list plugin i wrote, that relies on peoples 'membership' to a particular blog) i made everyone a member of blog 1 (the All blog) and then that way i was able to send global announcements that everyone would receive.

The problem here was, that their membership with the blog all blog seems to be overriding any membership that they might have in other blogs. So basically if a post comes as protected from another blog and gets aggregated into the ALL blog as long as people are members of Blog 1 they can see any protected post regardless of whether they have permissions in the other blog that the protected post came from or not.

An easy work around for me will to just create another blog other than the ALL blog for this purpose, but i think this does expose a flaw in the user permissions system.

If this isn't clear let me know and i'll try to explain more.

Thanks guys.

2 Jan 26, 2005 23:31

If you were right, than indeed, it would not be like it was ment to be.
but...

I have a standard installation with 20 users, all members of blog 1 and neither of them can see protected posts if they are not member of that blog.

Are you sure you tested this with a username that has not the proper rights to view that protected post ?

3 Jan 27, 2005 01:11

Hey Topanga, thanks for the reply.

Ya i had thought of that too, but the user had _no_ permissions to view anything and then as soon as i made them a member of the ALL blog they and then hit refresh on the main page a whole bunch of protected posts appeared.

That's why i said i'm not sure if it is a bug ... considering that as i mentioned in the other post, i had to hack my cookie domain. So maybe there is some strange interplay between the hack and such.

Ok i just managed to do the exact same thing on my home blog (not on an intranet )

When i get a chance i'm going to do a clean install and see if i can get it to do it.

Make sure none of ANY of the hacks i've done are causing this strange behaviour.

I'll get back to you.

4 Jan 27, 2005 07:49

ok i just did a clean install with the zip file from the website. New database, new directory and only admin and demouser on the system.

Here is what i did:

1. admin makes a protected post in blog a. 2. I check to ensure that it's visible to that user and not demouser in Blog All ( it's not, which is good) 3. I go through and make sure that demouser has no permissions in any of the blogs, using the uncheck all option. 4. I check again to ensure demouser can't see protected post in blog A (it can't) 5. I make demouser a member of Blog All in the blog permissions 6. I check again to see if demouser can see anything. 7. Demo user can now see my test post. [/list:u] I'd say this is pretty strong evidence that there is a problem. Check it out yourself. I've put this test install at: http://b2evo.borderlinereckless.com/ admin login: user: admin pass: admin demouser login: user: demouser pass: demouser

6 Jan 27, 2005 10:30

Indeed, very strange (scary) behaviour.
(I checked your blog with the given usernames)

I checked my blog imediately (because I do have my very personnal diary in the same blog)
lucky for me, in my blog it was not happening.

I can only say : you are right, and it is not normal.
I can't point you where you could fix it.

7 Jan 27, 2005 16:03

btokarchuk wrote:

5. I make demouser a member of Blog All in the blog permissions

Blog 1 aggregates all posts from all blogs, therefore the protected post in blog 2 is also a protected post in blog 1. demouser is a member of blog 1 and can therefore see protected posts in blog 1.

Doesn't sound like a bug to me. The 'solution' is to not make people members of blog 1 unless you want to give them access to all protected content across all blogs.

8 Jan 27, 2005 16:25

EdB

I notice that in my blog, it is not happening like btokarchuk is saying.

To me, it is *not* normal that this thing is happening.
Because the real parent still is 'blogA' and not 'blog All'.

9 Jan 27, 2005 16:27

Hey EdB,

That's what i was getting at in my original post. I wasn't sure if that was the intended behaviour or not. Without looking at the code I can't be definitive, but being a programmer myself i can see where the logic disconnect between the two modes of operation could come in development. My workaround was, as you suggested, to not make them members of blog A. I guess it just made more sense to me to think that Blog All would aggregate all posts according to their appropriate permissions.

Ok, cool.

I just wanted to see what the community thought.

BT

10 Jan 27, 2005 16:46

I duplicated the behaviour on a stock v10 installation.

Given that Topanga is not able to duplicate the issue I suspect there may be something deeper going on. Something to do with php or mysql version? Dunno, but it's repeatable and (reasonably) logical.

I reckon the best way to do it (code-wise) is to say "this here logged in visitor is on blog 1 and the next post to consider showing is a protected post so I better check all the cats the post is associated with and figure out which blog the cat(s) belong in and see if the visitor is a member of any of those blogs".

11 Jan 27, 2005 17:57

I reckon the best way to do it (code-wise) is to say "this here logged in visitor is on blog 1 and the next post to consider showing is a protected post so I better check all the cats the post is associated with and figure out which blog the cat(s) belong in and see if the visitor is a member of any of those blogs".

Ya that sounds right. In addition to your statement i would add "this here logged in visitor is a member of blog 1 and the next post to consider showing is protected and comes from blog X. I better ensure that this guy is also a member in this other blog."

See it's interesting cuz you can create categories and actually post in Blog 1 if you want. Which is a bit strange. I'm not sure if that should really be allowed for a blog that aggregates other blogs. But then again who am i to say :). Ideally it would be best if a person could create any number of these meta blogs and choose which blogs to aggregate into them. I know this has been discussed so i won't really get into this in depth again.

BT.

Form is loading...