Recent Topics

1 Jul 18, 2005 18:49    

Aight, here's the deal...

I have a website that has to be hosted on the server of school.
That server does not support MySQL.

I have a server where i have an other site hosted, which does support MySQL.

Is there a way to point the installation of b2evo to the MySQL database of the other site?

2 Jul 18, 2005 19:37

That depends, Neluus.

You can definitely have your database on a different server than your .php files/webspace, provided that the web server and the data server can talk to one another.

The site that has the MySQL database needs to allow tcp/ip connections. If they don't, it won't work.

Enter the name of your data server when you are configuring your setup initially. (If you don't do it then, you can also do it after the fact by editing your conf/_config.php.) (Here's a hint - it won't be localhost. Something like your.dataserver.com or something.)

3 Jul 18, 2005 20:58

Thanks Isaac,

Reading your reply, I guess localhost has to be changed to the adress of my external SQL.

The problem is, i don't know what an adress of a SQL-database looks like.
it is hosted at http://dhost.info, maybe you've heard of it...

can you give me a sample of what a SQL-adress looks like?

4 Jul 18, 2005 21:44

It looks like any other kind of address. For example, it might be something like db14.some.host.com, or any other address that you can think of. Technically, it's a machine name that gets resolved to some public IP and is then possibly routed to an internal IP (as are all web addresses.)

You'll have to ask your host. There's no way that I could possibly know what your server address is. It would be like me asking you where I can get a second housekey - you'd tell me to ask my landlord or go to a locksmith or something, but you probably wouldn't have the answer since it has nothing to do with you.

Make sense?

5 Jul 19, 2005 12:19

Makes perfect sense!

Thanks!

6 Jul 19, 2005 13:50

Lets say I have 2 websites (2 different machines)

-> on www.abc.com I have a blog with localhost.
-> on www.def.com I also have a blog with localhost.

So it is possible that I but a blog on abc.com that uses the database that is stored on def.com ?

My specific problem : I want a blog on the intranet, but we don't have a mysql-database ready server.
So I want to store the database in the internet, and all the files on the intranet. (or is that not the most secure thing to do ?)

7 Jul 19, 2005 20:59

That would be fine, as long as your db host allows connections from an outside machine, and your internal firewall allows the appripriate connections out.

8 Jul 19, 2005 22:34

Indeed,
I just found out that every firewall, on our intranet as well as the hosting server is blocking outside databaseconnections..

There goes my dream of a b2evo blog on our intranet.

Form is loading...