Recent Topics

1 Sep 04, 2006 23:51    

I don't get it. I thought when I upgraded to 0.9.2 it was suppose to be more spam-protected. Over this weekend I have been over run by spammers, plus have had more spam since upgrading than I did before with 0.9.1

What is going on? Why is there an influx of spammers with 0.9.2

My blogs are located at http://marksden.com/myblog

Mark Ivy

2 Sep 05, 2006 00:50

You are getting the same amount of spam you would have if you did not upgrade - it's just that you upgraded right before they decided you were a tasty target. I have no idea what makes them decide to assault any given blog, but they seem to move in packs from here to there then elsewhere.

So what 0.9.2 does for you is a couple of things. Removing the publicly available stats page means spammers can never see instant gratification from fake referer spam, so they should be discouraged. Including the "nofollow" rel in commenter URLs should discourage them from comment or trackback spamming you. Finally your server gets a huge break dealing with the spammers. Used to be the whole page got loaded before checking to see if a spammer was blacklisted. Now it's one of the very earliest tasks that gets done. If a spammer is on your local antispam list it'll take a tiny portion of server resources before shutting it out.

Unfortunately nothing will ever stop spammers, unless you want to have a plain old html website. As long as you have something dynamic and interactive they think that means you're providing them a free platform, and will therefore try to take advantage.

The gain you got is better tools to beat them down with. Hope that helps!

3 Sep 05, 2006 02:21

I get zero spam with ver 1.81 and the image captcha plugin.

FWIW :lol:

Form is loading...