Recent Topics

1 Sep 23, 2006 13:53    

Does anyone know how to specify unique meta tags on blog posts? Google is listing our blog posts as duplicate because the meta tags are identical.

3 Sep 23, 2006 14:05

Thank you for the reply.

I am using 1.8 beta.

4 Sep 23, 2006 14:07

Ok, we have a plugin (somewhere) that works in a similar fashion to that hack, when i find it I'll link it here for you.

¥

5 Sep 23, 2006 15:23

Looking forward. I hope you are able to find it.
Thanks again!

7 Sep 24, 2006 12:34

Yep, we haven't finished the write up though so here's some instructions on using it :-

To make the plugin work properly just delete the bits in red in your skin

<title><?php
$Blog->disp('name', 'htmlhead');
request_title( ' - ', '', ' - ', 'htmlhead' );
?></title>

<base href="<?php skinbase(); /* Base URL for this skin. You need this to fix relative links! */ ?>" />
<meta name="description" content="<?php $Blog->disp( 'shortdesc', 'htmlattr' );?>" />
<meta name="keywords" content="<?php $Blog->disp( 'keywords', 'htmlattr' );?>" />

The tags to use :

<!--title title to use -->
The title to use will be used as the pages html title in single post mode.
<!--description post description -->
The post description will be used as the pages description in single post mode
<!--keywords keywords to add -->
The keywords to add will be appended to the pages keywords. The plugin also ensures that there are no duplicate keywords
<!--meta meta tag data -->
This will add a meta tag <meta meta tag data />
<!--css custom css for post -->
The custom css for post will be output between <style> tags
<!--script javascript to add -->
The javascript to add will be output between &lt;script> tags
WARNING : This will allow any user with posting rights to post javascript, it's disabled by default. To enable javascript you need to manually change the setting in the plugin code.

¥

*edit*
You can get the plugin [url=http://www.innervisions.org.uk/media/am_custom_plugin.zip]here[/url]

8 Sep 24, 2006 12:56

Wonderful! Thank you very much.

10 Sep 25, 2006 01:09

Can you explain how to install this? I am having trouble.

I have installed the plug in, deleted the bits in red from my skin (as you specified).

Where do I add the tags?

11 Sep 25, 2006 02:13

Just add them to your post, using the following format:

<!--title [title you want] -->
<!--description [description you want] -->
<!--keywords [keywords you want] -->
<!--meta [custom meta-tag you want] -->
<!--css [custom CSS you want] -->
<!--script [javascript you want] (note: need to turn this on in the plugin settings in the back-office, as the default is OFF) -->

A word of warning: Depending on how many posts you have on your page, using "title" or "description" will APPEND your custom title/description to all other custom "titles/descriptions" AND your page "title/description". (Could get a bit long and ugly if you're not careful, which isn't ideal for SEO on either tag).

Hope this helps.

12 Sep 25, 2006 02:40

A word of warning: Depending on how many posts you have on your page, using "title" or "description" will APPEND your custom title/description to all other custom "titles/descriptions" AND your page "title/description". (Could get a bit long and ugly if you're not careful, which isn't ideal for SEO on either tag).

So this is really only suitable for single post pages ???

13 Sep 25, 2006 02:48

This is not working. I have done the following three steps:

1) installed the plug in
2) removed the red text from the skin
3) added the tags to a post

The post only shows the default URL with no title. Is there something else that I am missing?

I really appreciate your help.

14 Sep 25, 2006 03:52

John,

I had an early play with the plugin, some time ago. We normally have 5 posts on our front page and when I populated "title" and "description", I quickly realized that the normal title/description + 5 unique entry-dependent titles/descriptions would easily overload these meta tags with an non-optimum number of characters. (Can't remember off the top of my head, what number are recommended, but it's not a ton).

As a result, I currently don't use those two aspects of the plugin. (The b2evo default PHP meta tag for "title"automatically changes to "Post Details: [Post Title]" for single-view display, anyway).

Some day, when I get around to it, I could see adding a branch to test for single-display mode and shoving our site description for the front page (5 posts) and a custom, post-dependent description for single-display mode (as the b2evo default is the site description for everything, which often times isn't ideal).

HOWEVER ... despite these ramifications ... the custom CSS, javascript and keyword aspects of this plugin are GREAT. (It was the post-specific CSS that I was especially KEEN on, as I see no reason to bloat the skin CSS file for such things, especially considering it has to be loaded even if the post isn't) :-/

15 Sep 25, 2006 03:58

wsshost,

LOL ... I'm using an older version of the plugin and haven't tested/used the latest version.

Give me a bit to test it directly. (Bloody UK-types are sleeping ... :roll: )

I'll post back with what I find out. (Am using v1.8-beta, too.) ;)

16 Sep 25, 2006 04:01

@stk
Thanks for the explanation... It's a powerful plugin

17 Sep 25, 2006 04:17

John,

Yes it is!! Lots of folks have wondered how to add JavaScript to a post. ;)

And the custom-CSS means that I can now add one-off CSS posts like [url=http://randsco.com/index.php/2006/07/15/pz3_enhanced_image_maps]THIS ONE[/url] right in the blog without bloat or need for a separate, static page. :D :D

¥åßßå rocks!! (but mums the word or his head will swell like a balloon). ;)

18 Sep 25, 2006 05:06

Okay wsshost,

I downloaded the same file that Yabba attached.

I over-wrote the earlier version. I had to go into the back-office and re-enable the plugin. [ App Settings tab -> Plugins tab -> (change the leftmost column icon from GREY to BLACK, by clicking the first of three icons in the rightmost column ... the funky grey-to-black-dot one) ].

It worked fine for me (and even grandfathered in the old [css] [/css] tags that were used)!

Yours probably had to be installed first and the leftmost icon probably already IS black (but check anyway).

Are you missing the trigger in your skin's _main.php file?

At the top of that file, you should have this line:

<?php $Plugins->trigger_event( 'SkinBeginHtmlHead' ); ?>

(It's the trigger the plugin looks for to inject the custom goods.)

OKAY ... a couple more things on behavior (as this version takes advantage of this new trigger).

1) The plugin injects the b2evolution defaults for title/description/keywords if no custom values are specified (which is why ¥åßßå said to delete them from the skin ... the red bits).

2) IF custom values are specified in a post, the following happens with the title/description/keywords meta tags:

• TITLE remains the default until single-view display, when the custom title is used (replacing the default).

• DESCRIPTION remains the default until single-view display, when the custom description is used (replacing the default).

• Custom keywords are appended to the defaults when the post is shown AND when it's in single-view display.

• [/list:u] John ... you can disregard my earlier observation, as this updated version is built to be more SEO-friendly! ;) wsshost ... Have a read, check that the trigger is there and the plugin is enabled. Work? Let me know. Hope this helps.

19 Sep 25, 2006 07:36

Sounds good , I'll give it a spin

you say...

2) IF custom values are specified in a post, the following happens with the title/description/keywords meta tags:

* TITLE remains the default until single-view display, when the custom title is used (replacing the default).
* DESCRIPTION remains the default until single-view display, when the custom description is used (replacing the default).
* Custom keywords are appended to the defaults when the post is shown AND when it's in single-view display.

does that mean that it's not necessary to comment out or delete the <title> and <meta> in the head of _main.php, as described by Yabba earlier in this thread???

20 Sep 25, 2006 08:08

Damn, I go to a party and you lot come up with a shedload of questions :|

John,
You need to delete the title/keywords/description otherwise they'll appear twice ;)

¥

22 Sep 25, 2006 12:16

It works!

I *did* have this missing in my _main.php file. Once added, the metas display correctly.

<?php $Plugins->trigger_event( 'SkinBeginHtmlHead' ); ?>

I am having trouble getting my blog indexed in Google. I think unique title, description and keywords will do the trick.

Much appreciation!

23 Sep 25, 2006 16:03

No worries. Glad to help you sort it out. (And I got an updated plugin installed, as a result! Talk about a win-win ... :D )

Mind you, someone will soon be on me to write up a detailed tutorial. Too bad the computer gets turned off this week - for a month. :-/

PS ... I can't see inbound links to your blog hurting your Google indexing cause ... why don't you link your blog in your signature or using the WWW thing in your profile. ;)

24 Aug 10, 2007 05:17

Is this plugin available in plugins directory? If it is, what's the name? Thanks.

26 Aug 10, 2007 06:34

thanks. i'll be back here if i have some more question. Im gonna try it later. Im confused right now bcoz of the long converstion here. LOL!

27 Aug 10, 2007 22:27

Is there a way to invert the keywords behavior and show the post-specific keywords first, rather than having them appended onto the blog-wide keywords? I looked through the plugin file itself but not sure what code would need to be edited to make that happen...

jj.

28 Aug 11, 2007 03:21

hi stk. i've tried it already. installed the plugin and its working but i just want to clarify some things:

i need to delete the red bits in my skins' _main, right?

then, for every post, i have to use each/some/all of the codes below:

<!--title "title to use" -->

<!--description "post description" -->

<!--keywords "keywords to add" -->

<!--meta "meta tag data" -->

<!--css "custom css for post" -->

<!--script "javascript to add" -->
The javascript to add will be output inside <head> between <script> tags

<!--js "javascript to add" -->
The javascript to add will be output inside your post between <script> tags

I decided to allow any user with posting rights to post javascript for their own adsense.

If i understand it correctly as per above, then everything should work, right? But I tried it with my post and insert adsense using <!--js.... and it didnt work. Adsense didnt show.

30 Aug 11, 2007 03:43

Hi Afwas,

I tried <!--js coz i want an adsense inside a post. if you look in my site www.eezmol.com to the post titled "My Dog", there is a space between the first and second paragraph coz that's where i put the js.

Thanks for your reply. Im feeling so desperate already coz I think I messed up everything even the post with pictures...not pictures are showing anymore.

31 Aug 11, 2007 03:47

Oh and that link to another post you gave me. I've read that and I was having a problem understanding it for some reason...maybe bcoz its so long and got me so confused.

32 Aug 11, 2007 03:47

Edit the my dog podt, remove the <br /> within the adsense and tick OFF the autop plugin (it's in the right hand bottom corner). Then save the post.

Good luck

33 Aug 11, 2007 03:52

Your keywords etc now appear twice. You should read the bit about removing the red bits in _main.php of your skin:

¥åßßå wrote:

To make the plugin work properly just delete the bits in red in your skin

<title><?php
?></title>

<base href="<?php skinbase(); /* Base URL for this skin. You need this to fix relative links! */ ?>" />
<meta name="description" content="<?php $Blog->disp( 'shortdesc', 'htmlattr' );?>" />
<meta name="keywords" content="<?php $Blog->disp( 'keywords', 'htmlattr' );?>" />

¥

34 Aug 11, 2007 04:07

ya i did that but I had an error. let me do it again. thanks.

35 Aug 11, 2007 04:11

now, what will i do? i messed up my layout! pls help.

36 Aug 11, 2007 04:19

Don't panic.

You left "/> somewhere

37 Aug 11, 2007 05:12

hi afwas,

its ok now. but the adsense is still not working.

38 Aug 11, 2007 05:23

I don't see any Adsense JavaScript in you post right now.
It might be the case this code is not going to run because it has --> in it's content. That may trigger the plugin yo replace this by </script> and I don't know for sure if it is going to run.

39 Aug 11, 2007 05:30

I checked the plugin setting, and it saying something allowing script checkbox, but I cant get it checked. Do you think this is the problem?

40 Aug 11, 2007 05:31

I checked the plugin setting, and it saying something allowing script checkbox, but I cant get it checked. Do you think this is the problem?

41 Aug 11, 2007 05:34

Now, here's my problem:

Cannot update, please correct these errors:
Illegal tag: script

Im sorry with so much trouble.

42 Aug 11, 2007 05:39

Ah that's the problem.
You need to open the plugin file am_custom.plugin.plugin and change in line 53:

'defaultvalue' => 0,

to

'defaultvalue' => 1,

to enable javaScript in posts

43 Aug 11, 2007 05:43

And do not include the <script> and </script> tags in your post. The plugin replaces <!--js with <script type="text/javascript"> and --> with </script>.

Try the code from the other post I mentioned. That should work if you copy / paste it directly. Then you can see whether you have the plugin setup correctly.

44 Aug 11, 2007 05:46

i changed it to 1. edited and saved my post but still getting

Cannot update, please correct these errors:

45 Aug 11, 2007 05:49

In the Adsense code you need to do the replacement trick <!--js twice. There must not be any <script> tag left when you post.

Good luck

46 Aug 11, 2007 05:50

i changed something and look what i got now wiht my dog post.

47 Aug 11, 2007 05:57

i replaced <script with <--js and now what i got is... adsense is showing but...pls look at it. And worse thing is there's no edit button even in the admin area now for this particular post.

48 Aug 11, 2007 06:06

Try to not include the <!-- and //--> from the Google code into the post.
There are other ways to edit the post: click the title for the one post display or through backoffice.
In Firefox I see no errors, but no Adsense either. IE screws it.

It's working. Now it only needs (a little) tweaking.
The other tags are also not perfect yet.

Good luck

49 Aug 11, 2007 06:32

I did it but it didnt work and now here's the latest thing i put and adsense is not showing:

<!--js google_ad_client = "pub-xxxxx";
google_ad_width = 125;
google_ad_height = 125;
google_ad_format = "125x125_as";
google_ad_type = "text_image";
//2007-07-13: http://www.eezmol.com
google_ad_channel = "xxxx";
google_color_border = "E5E5E8";
google_color_bg = "E5E5E8";
google_color_link = "FFFFCC";
google_color_text = "000000";
google_color_url = "FFFF66"; -->
<!--js src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" -->

50 Aug 11, 2007 06:51

This is how it turns out on your page:

<script type="text/javascript"> src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" </script>

and this is how it should look:

<script type="text/javascript"
  src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>

Other than downloading the show_ads.js and copy it between <!--js and --> I have not a solution for this problem.

51 Aug 11, 2007 07:05

the js file is too long right? so you think maybe i should try the other way based on the other post?

52 Aug 11, 2007 08:50

hi afwas,

its done! the only problem now is the alignment. I edited the formatting.php as per other post. And that's it! adsense is showing now. But, pls tell me do I have to do/undo something on the am_custom plugin? or just keep it that way? i mean, use it for meta tags & all.

53 Aug 11, 2007 10:48

jibberjab wrote:

Is there a way to invert the keywords behavior and show the post-specific keywords first, rather than having them appended onto the blog-wide keywords? I looked through the plugin file itself but not sure what code would need to be edited to make that happen...

jj.

Crack open the plugin and make the following changes.

function SkinBeginHtmlHead( $params = array() )
	{
	 	global $MainList, $Blog, $disp;

if ( isset( $MainList ) )
		{
			//$this->keywords = $Blog->keywords;
			$this->keywords = ''; // we'll add the blog keywords later

$this->keywords .= ','.$Blog->keywords;// add in the blog keywords

if( substr( $this->keywords, 0, 1 ) == ',' ) $this->keywords = substr( $this->keywords, 1);

if( $this->keywords )
		{

karen wrote:

But, pls tell me do I have to do/undo something on the am_custom plugin? or just keep it that way? i mean, use it for meta tags & all.

The only thing you need to do to use the rest of the functionality of this plugin is delete the red bits in your skin ;)

¥

54 Aug 11, 2007 11:02

ok first, i've found a way to add the adsense, you can look at it now.

with the plugin, i've deleted the red bits and im scared to touch the am_custom. here's what i got, most likely the whole function SkinBegin..., and i dont which lines to change:

function SkinBeginHtmlHead( $params = array() )
	{
	 	global $MainList, $Blog, $disp;

if ( isset( $MainList ) )
		{
			$this->keywords = $Blog->keywords;

$params['items'] = $MainList;

while( $custom_item = $params['items']->get_item() )
			{

$temp = 'x'.str_replace( array( "\n", "\r", '%post%' ), array( '[lb]', '[rt]', 'am_custom_post_'.$custom_item->ID.'_' ), $custom_item->content ).'x';

if( $disp == 'single' )
				{
					$this->title .= 	$this->do_matches( 'title', $temp );
					$this->description .= $this->do_matches( 'description', $temp );
				}

$this->css .= $this->do_matches( 'css', $temp, '', "\n" );
				$this->meta .= $this->do_matches('meta', $temp, '<meta ', ' />'."\n" );
				$this->keywords .= $this->do_matches( 'keywords', $temp, ',' );
				$this->script .= $this->do_matches('script', $temp ,'', "\n");

$this->css = str_replace( array( '[lb]', '[rt]' ) , array( "\n", "\r" ), $this->css );
				$this->title = str_replace( array( '[lb]', '[rt]' ) , '' , $this->title );
				$this->meta = str_replace( array( '[lb]', '[rt]' ) , '', $this->meta );
				$this->description = str_replace( array( '[lb]', '[rt]' ) , '' , $this->description );
				$this->keywords = str_replace( array( '[lb]', '[rt]' ) , '', $this->keywords );
				$this->script = str_replace( array( '[lb]', '[rt]' ) , array( "\n", "\r" ), $this->script );

if ( !$this->Settings->get( 'allow_script' ) ) $this->script = '';
			}
		}
		echo '<title>';
		if( $this->title )
		{
			echo format_to_output( $this->title, 'htmlhead' );
		} else {
		}
		echo '</title>'."\n";

echo '<meta name="description" content="';
		if( $this->description )
		{
			echo format_to_output( $this->description, 'htmlattr' );
		} else {
			$Blog->disp( 'shortdesc', 'htmlattr' );
		}
		echo '" />'."\n";

if( substr( $this->keywords, 0, 1 ) == ',' ) $this->keywords = substr( $this->keywords, 1);

if( $this->keywords )
		{
			$keywords = explode( ',', $this->keywords );
			$this->keywords = array();
			foreach( $keywords as $keyword  ) $this->keywords[] = trim( $keyword );

$this->keywords = implode( ',', array_unique( $this->keywords ) );	// lets avoid duplicate keywords
			echo '<meta name="keywords" content="'
				.format_to_output( $this->keywords, 'htmlattr' ).'" />'."\n";
		}

if( $this->css ) echo '<style type="text/css">'.format_to_output( $this->css, 'htmlhead' ).'</style>'."\n";
		if( $this->meta ) echo $this->meta."\n";
		if( $this->script and $this->Settings->get( 'allow_script' ) )
			echo '<script type="text/javascript">'.format_to_output( $this->script, 'htmlhead' ).'</script>'."\n";

if( isset( $MainList ) ) {$MainList->restart(); }
	}

55 Aug 11, 2007 11:06

The only bits you need to delete to make the plugin work properly are the title, description and keywords sections in your skin otherwise you end up with duplicate tags. You don't need to change any code inside the plugin.

¥

56 Aug 11, 2007 16:08

Thanks ¥åßßå.... I'll give that a try over my morning coffee in a few minutes. Getting it set up was... simple... just wasn't sure about inverting the order...

jj.

57 Aug 11, 2007 19:37

Worked like a charm...

Here's a feature request/minor upgrade for a later release... I noticed (purely by accident) that duplicate keywords aren't removed if one of them happens to be capitalized and the other not. Any way to check for caps/lower and eliminate dupes that way also?

jj.

58 Aug 11, 2007 21:35

LOL ... I never got an email saying this thread had been updated. Missed a tad. :p

karen started out and wrote:

Im confused right now bcoz of the long converstion here. LOL!

Hmmm ... image the next person. 8|

Hope you got things sorted ... thanks to jj, afwas and blabba for helping you!!

59 Aug 12, 2007 02:55

hi stk, yap tnx to them all.

got a few questions though, here's what i did, i installed the plugin, i edited something at formattin.php to allow <script> tags inside the post esp for adsense, and now, i only need to add below tags to each post as needed, right? :?:

<!--title title to use -->
The title to use will be used as the pages html title in single post mode.
The post description will be used as the pages description in single post mode
<!--keywords keywords to add -->
The keywords to add will be appended to the pages keywords. The plugin also ensures that there are no duplicate keywords
<!--css custom css for post -->
The custom css for post will be output between <style> tags
<!--script javascript to add -->
The javascript to add will be output between &lt;script> tags
WARNING : This will allow any user with posting rights to post javascript, it's disabled by default. To enable javascript you need to manually change the setting in the plugin code.

then, if above tags esp keywords, title and description wont be added to each post, then none of them would be available for robots to check??? :?: and that means it is "a need" to do for each post? coz the thing is those keywords would be used per post, right? :?: or for the whole blog? :?: i mean, like jj asked, "Is there a way to invert the keywords behavior and show the post-specific keywords first, rather than having them appended onto the blog-wide keywords? I looked through the plugin file itself but not sure what code would need to be edited to make that happen...", does this mean its for the whole blog? :?: and if i want those keywords to be for each post then i have to do what yabba told jj? :?: and if yes, which is which? :?:

and lastly, what should i put best to:

(sorry for being dumb, LOL!)
coz what i want is to gain visitors to my blog and my members' blogs to help them so im trying to learn everything i can to teach and help them.

60 Aug 12, 2007 08:26

jibberjab wrote:

I noticed (purely by accident) that duplicate keywords aren't removed if one of them happens to be capitalized and the other not. Any way to check for caps/lower and eliminate dupes that way also?

Just change this line of code ;)

$this->keywords = strtolower( $this->keywords.','.$Blog->keywords );// add in the blog keywords 

¥

61 Aug 12, 2007 17:38

karen wrote:

and now, i only need to add below tags to each post as needed, right? :?:

Close, you only need to add the tags if you want to use them, otherwise the plugin defaults to the standard output ;)

¥

62 Aug 14, 2007 01:00

Alright, one more question... :) In the TITLE tag, how would I swap the "post title" and "blog title" ? Right now it displays with 'blog title' first. I'd like it to show 'post title' first.

jj.

63 Aug 14, 2007 08:14

echo '<title>';
		if( $this->title )
		{
			echo format_to_output( $this->title, 'htmlhead' );
		} else {
		}

You might need to play with the params for request_title() to make it look right ;)
¥

64 Aug 31, 2007 18:55

I've installed the plugin and everything seems to be working
Except where I put the

<!--keywords keywords to add --> tags

I'm getting spaces in my posts which is causing it to look to spread out.
Is there a way to have these tags in there without the post adding extra breaks to the post?

65 Aug 31, 2007 19:12

A link to your blog or to one of the posts that has the problem would help.

jj.

66 Aug 31, 2007 19:25

Sorry about that

http://www.nathancolquhoun.com/

There is my main page, the first post there has the keywords and meta description enabled I put it at the bottom of the post, now look at the space between the last words of my post and the comments|permalink compared to the second post

67 Aug 31, 2007 19:29

Looks like you inserted two BR tags between the description and the keywords.. that's why you're getting that space.

This is what you have in your code:

<p>	<!--description Random Links for August 28 --> <br />
	<br />
	<!--keywords brainstorming ideas inventions creative statistics earth stats google groups online photo editing miss California funny question answer --> </p>

There shouldn't be any space at all between the description and keywords... something like this:

<!--description Random Links for August 28 --><!--keywords brainstorming, ideas, inventions, creative, statistics, earth, stats, google, groups, online, photo, editing, miss California, funny, question, answer -->

Oh, and the keyword list is supposed to be comma-separated... not one long string...

jj.

68 Aug 31, 2007 19:30

Odd, I just hit enter not really thinking it would do anything and it added the breaks auto.
Thanks a lot.

69 Sep 22, 2007 03:46

Hi guys, I've waited for a few weeks to check the results of using these tags, and here I am asking for help. I havent got my website in the search engines since then. Pls help. My website is www.eezmol.com and Im using two skins for the main page and for all others. Pls help.

70 Sep 22, 2007 04:30

Hi karen,

Your site looks ok and there is nothing wrong with the meta tags. I do advise you to use the [url=http://validator.w3.org/]W3c xhtml validator[/url] to get the last errors out of your page.

For pagerank and related questions, this forum is not the right place. There is a lot of information on the net about what works and what doesn't. Check some other sites that specialize in this topic.

Good luck

71 Sep 29, 2007 05:14

hi afwas,

thanks for your advice. i tried validator but since there are lots of errors and messages, i cant seem to understand each and every one of them. im planning to change skin and start over. can you tell me if its a good "idea" for my site? i've checked my website thru other's PC but it doesnt look the same. sidebar is broken and is out of place. but then again, my big problem is...traffic. but anyway, im willing to learn and do what it takes to get this thing work.

thanks.

Form is loading...