Recent Topics

1 May 17, 2009 05:48    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I have taken the post for V1.9 on this topic and applied it to my V2.4 test site to attempt to obtain side by side panels for posts. While it works in a fashion, it does not give me the outcome I am looking for. Within the 2 columns, posts are aligned across the columns, meaning that a post may have some white space after it and before the next post within a coumn - see http://www.vesnsw.org.au/ves/index.php/test/ for an example.
Is there any way to remove the white space between posts so that the next post appears immediately under the last post in each column?

My code mimics that of the post of ¥åßßå on 8 Mar 07 at http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=11079&highlight=resultnumrows except for the css width data.

2 May 17, 2009 05:54

Why don't you make uniform use of the IM ( Read More ) function.
That way you can have a set amount of words for each post, followed by the "read more" link.
That will give you a more even column height for each post...

3 May 17, 2009 06:10

Yes, consider such and as you would note, the IM function is used. However, some posts require a longer intro to ensure the salient points of the article are presented. It is a possible comprise, but ideal I am not seeking to compromise the way posts are made.

4 May 17, 2009 06:27

I can understand that, and I would even suggest that the two column post design is unsuitable for the subject matter.

It would seem more suitable to have a normal 5 or 6 post per page layout but with a well located list of your last 20 posts, by title.

Each of the "Read More" links seem to link to external press articles etc, than to the remainder of the storey.

What feedback do you get from site visitors?

6 May 17, 2009 09:03

¥åßßå, an apology. I started this test skin directly from the Custom skin, only making changes as per your 2007 post. I did not consider re-validation necessary. A mistake which is now corrected.
To validate, I turned off the Archive widget (to achieve a quick validation as there was a style error in it), but more importantly had to change your 2007 code by replacing <div id= ....> with <div class= ...> to achieve validation.
I still have the same issue about spacing in the right column posts. Is there a way to resolve this issue?

7 May 17, 2009 09:27

You must have a mistake in your code as there wouldn't have been a clash with id="rightside", also your <div id="leftside"> is empty. If you can cure that it'll cure your problem ;)

¥

8 May 19, 2009 07:15

¥åßßå - notwithstanding your help, I have come to the end of my efforts here. The left column only now shows with no <div> rightList showing at all in the source code when run. It appears that the column is not breaking half way through and ignoring the instruction. I even changed skin but to no avail.

Any thoughts?

9 May 19, 2009 17:11

I'd probably need a copy of your skin before I could see where you've gone wrong ... or where the original post is wrong ;)

¥

10 May 20, 2009 02:10

¥åßßå
I have included a copy of the index.main.php file in the post at http://www.vesnsw.org.au/ves/index.php/test/2009/05/20/title-8 and it includes changes to the css file.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The page is running in Version 3.1.0-beta but I had exactly the same problem in V2.4.1 and moved up to the beta to ensure that I was working from a clean version (ensuring that any changes I had made to V2.4.1 files would not be an issue).

11 May 20, 2009 17:18

Change this bit of the hack ;)

while( $Item = & mainlist_get_item() )
		{	// For each blog post, do everything below up to the closing curly brace "}"
if( $disp == 'posts' and ( intval( $MainList->result_num_rows / 2 ) + 1 ) == $MainList->current_idx )

¥

12 May 21, 2009 00:01

You are a marvel - thanks for the help.

14 Jun 08, 2009 06:13

¥åßßå - when all is good along comes the good folk to make it better - sort of. I just looked at the V3.2.0 beta upgrade and am all at a loss as to how to implement the two column arrangement. It appears that the re-design of what is where etc has completely changed the landscape.

Any thoughts?

15 Jun 09, 2009 17:25

Thoughts :

It's a beta
... be cool if it could work though
... pretty sure it can
It's a beta

¥

16 Jun 10, 2009 00:05

Thanks for that. It would be good if it could work once it goes stable

17 Jul 16, 2009 12:58

All works with V3.3.0-rc1 following a bit of tweaking.

Thanks for the help over the past months.

Form is loading...