Recent Topics

1 Mar 27, 2020 22:56    

Dear all:

Today I did an auto-upgrade System>Maintenance>Auto Upgrade
And ran into the same trouble as I have had before all over again.
However, this time I was able to fix it myself.
With my provider, the 500 error screen suggests that there are either badly set file permissions, or a problem with .htaccess.
If your site was running properly before, .htaccess ought not to be the problem, however, file permissions on the install folder are; at least in my case.
The install folder had today - as before - the wrong file permission settings: 775 instead of 755
For the problem to go away, you have to set the Install folder permission to 755 and all the file permissions to 644.
The easiest way to do this is through CPanel > File manager.
Once done, you can reload yoursite.com/install/index.html (or index.php) and will probably get a 503 error (site in maintenance)
This happens because the install script gets aborted, so the site is not taken automatically out of maintenance mode.
To take the site out of maintenance mode you need to rename the file umaintenance.html in the conf folder to _umaintenance.html
After that, you ought to be able to access the install folder and run the index.php script to update the DB and finish the install without further problems.
Hoping this helps (at least someone)

Cheers,
Gerard

4 Mar 29, 2020 04:54

You're always argumentative, Francois, and it's really tiring.
There is no step 4 and no file permissions are asked for.

Just trying to give people who go through this a hand, because nobody has EVER unequivocally answered this, least of all you.

6 Mar 29, 2020 21:29

It is in the more recent releases, it has been specifically added to address the problem described here.

I am providing this info for other people who may land here and may not need a more complicated solution than to enter the file permissions required by their specific host in the appropriate fields.

@gerardp you provided no version info

7 Apr 01, 2020 17:15

Hi Francois:

I did not provide version info, because I have been running into this problem for at least two years now, and have sometimes postponed upgrading because of it.
But, just for the sake of it, I'm running 6.11.5 stable, and now I have figured it out, will update on a more regular basis.

• Smile -

Thanks,
Gerard

Form is loading...