Recent Topics

1 Dec 01, 2006 23:20    

Question to Topanga
I don't know where to post this question, so I try here at first.
I wanted to know if the following could be useful to the community and if it is worth posting it.

I made my own skin, to work together with autoblog and skintag plugins. This skin in not focused on design (can easily be customised), but on "webmaster's usability". The main points are:

For Blog owners:
1) optimized for autoblog and skin tag plugins (degrades gracefully if not installed)
2) Blog owners my customize "Personal photo" and "Main colors" of their blog straight from frontend when logged in. Their choice will be saved and shown to other users.

For Administrator:
3) Custom header and footer (look and feel of your site)
4) Custom content in homepage, replacing OR preceeding the posts.
(examples: sticky announcement or custom homepage)
5) Easy upgrade of default skin with new b2evo versions (just inserting the appropriates includes in the default "custom" skin)

Could this interest somebody?

3 Dec 01, 2006 23:25

I'm interested even though I'm not really interested in the autoblog plugin. Sounds to me like what you've got is a groovy new skin interface method, so let's see it!!!

A long time ago there was a skin that used a file to pick which order things on the sidebar went in. It was neat but still a bit cumbersome. Back in the day I made a skin that had a bunch of "true/false" settings in the top of _main for what bits the blogger wanted to have in their posts and sidebar. Cumbersome, but better than having to edit through the whole file.

4 Dec 01, 2006 23:37

EdB wrote:

Sounds to me like what you've got is a groovy new skin interface method

I ensure you that the principles behind are really silly :)
It just reuses what already is available. But maybe combined in the right way it makes the "magic".

Let me the time to make it "usable for all" and I will upload.

5 Dec 02, 2006 04:30

Please post here when it's uploaded. I'd be interested in taking a look too.

6 Dec 04, 2006 19:52

Finally this skin has pulled me to its own direction:
I am integrating it with Autoblog Plugin and Skin Area Plugin, and it is turning into something... really, REALLY nice! :)

Hold on for the surprise, I will post as soon as I am finished.

7 Dec 05, 2006 18:18

A first prototype of "Usability Skin" is ready. I will wait for some users feedback before declaring it stable.

This is a EXPERIMENTAL Skin and a work in progress, aiming to make it easier to customise skins, for both admins and unexperienced bloggers, and for improving usability in general.

It is integrated with Autoblog Plugin and Skin Area Plugin, and its configuration is made in AutoBlog Plugin Settings.

Main features are:

For Admins:
- Show custom content in default's blog homepage.
- Show/hide posts list in default's blog homepage. (useful if you want your own content in homepage)
For Designers
- Easy to customise and upgrade as it is based on "custom skin", and all customisation is made in its own files which are simply included in main.php.
For Bloggers
- Incontext editing of some areas directly from frontend, such as global announcement, custom homepage content, personal photo and the choice of a color theme (in the same skin).

At this address you may see a demo: http://siti.fralenuvol.com/demouser/
Login with username "demouser" and password "demouser".

During today I will post also the files.

8 Dec 05, 2006 18:24

Question to EdB:
As the skin works together with Autoblog Plugin, do you want me to post it also in the skin repository?

9 Dec 06, 2006 00:09

I'd say in both the autoblog plugin thread and the skins repository. People look for skins there is why. The problem with that is there is no text to read unless the visitor clicks the permalink entry, so maybe it should be called "autoblog"?

10 Dec 06, 2006 17:46

Finally I did it: :-)
http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=10119
I separated it from autoblog into its own "Usable Skin Plugin" as it keeps both plugins much more lightweight.

I reccomend to test it. For me it is nice.

For EdB:
As the goals changed several times, during development, I opened a new topic for this new plugin.
If you think otherwise and want to move it, or change something you are welcome. :)

Naturally I will post it also to the skins repository (later).
Bye.

Form is loading...