Recent Topics

1 Dec 10, 2006 08:38    

I am trying to upgrade my site (http://pubhousedialogues.com) from 1.8.2. I have backed up the database at my hosting service, and downloaded everything from the site to my home computer.
My question is how to proceed next- do I follow the file called upgradefrom_b2evo.en-US.html which I found in the 'doc' folder, which lay out one set instructions, or do I follow http://manual.b2evolution.net/Upgrade_from_an_older_version, which advises to simply replace files from the older version to the newer version?

If it is the latter, seemingly easier, option of replacing files, which files do I replace- all those under 'blogs', or what?

2 Dec 10, 2006 09:29

Use the first instructions - the one that came with the download of the new version you've chosen. The only thing I do different is that I open my current conf/_basic_config.php file and my new version of the same file name so I can copy/paste info from the current file to the new file. It'll be a total of 6 or 7 lines - 3 or 4 for your database connection, 1 for your baseurl, 1 for your admin email addy, and 1 for config_is_done. After that I upload and run the installer. Oh and I always go to mydomain.tld/mypath/install/index.php just because I do. By doing the edit up front, then telling it I am upgrading, it already knows all my important information and proceeds directly to upgrading.

3 Dec 10, 2006 09:42

Just a tip :-

Create a file called _config_TEST.php and put your database details in there, along with $baseurl, $admin_email and $config_is_done, then upload it to your conf folder.

Then, the next time you upgrade you can just upload the whole folder without having to worry about your details being overwritten ;)

¥

4 Dec 10, 2006 18:36

For me it won't work because I tell my FTP program to only upload newer files. So if anything changed before the datestamps on my server it won't over-write, meaning I'm better off deleting everything and starting over. So I'd lose the file that typically wouldn't be over-written.

I think you could also chmod the file (to what I don't know) and enter in the details from backup while running install/index.php, but I've never done it that way.

5 Dec 10, 2006 18:43

Thanks very much for the responses. I'll be trying the update in about an hour, and I'll be sure to report back for good (hopefully) or otherwise.

6 Dec 10, 2006 20:21

Well, it looks like I got it that time around! Thanks EdB and Yabba!

Form is loading...