Recent Topics

1 Jan 12, 2007 15:20    

I am sure this is going to be something silly, but I have checked and checked again and can not see what is wrong.

I have a blog linked to my website to give people information about the business sector I am involved in and the products I sell.

I have 6 headings/blogs and these are used to categorise the information available, this is working fine except for one blog that is bringing up the following error.

404 Not Found

b2evolution cannot resolve the requested URL.

This is only when I click on the pest control blog the others work OK, I have checked the setting and all appears OK, the text in this blog is available through the everything blog but can not be viewed through the pest control heading.

The blog is located at http://www.mflshop.co.uk/blog/

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

2 Jan 12, 2007 21:26

Your stub file for that blog is set up properly? I mean that it calls the correct blog number? Also your back office settings for that blog are calling the stub file correctly? (It looks like you're using stub files.)

3 Jan 12, 2007 22:51

I am not really sure how a stub file works, I do not mess with the setting much and I set up all my blogs the same.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it when I set up a new blog, to make the setting the same as the default blogs, under Explicit reference to stub file (Advanced): Stub name: I put "pestcontrol" then save the settings.

I then go back in and set the option to Explicit reference on index.php and save it again, this gives me the same path as the default with a different file name at the end.
So for pest control its:
URL preview: http://mflshop.co.uk/blog/index.php/pestcontrol

I don't know what this is doing but It makes all the blogs list the same

I have checked the settings time and time again and can not see any difference between this one and the others, is there anywhere I should check to make sure that the stub file is being called correctly, does b2e use stub files set up as default.

Do I know wtf I am chatting about?

4 Jan 12, 2007 23:03

pi-stoff wrote:

I am not really sure how a stub file works ... under Explicit reference to stub file (Advanced): Stub name: I put "pestcontrol" then save the settings.

That means your blog thinks you're using stub files. See the note directly beneath that line in your Blog settings->General tab?

For this to work, you must handle it accordingly on the Webserver (e-g: create a stub file or use mod_rewrite).

So you've got two choices: use stub files, or use mod_rewrite. I don't do anything with mod_rewrite, but as far as I know that is the only way you'll be able to have pestcontrol and not pestcontrol.php. Using stub files is easy though, so here ya go.

Open the file called a_stub.php in the root level of your installation, change where it says $blog = N; to a blog number, then save that file as (for example) pestcontrol.php. Upload it. Then on your Blog settings->General tab tell it for that blog that the stub file name is pestcontrol.php, and in the URL blog name tell it pestcontrol. Repeat the same for each blog.

Why it would work on some blogs and not this one is beyond me. The fact that it is tells me there's got to be *something* different about how each of your blogs is configured, but I'll be darned if I can guess at what it is.

Anyway stubs are easy to use and make your urls look a bit nicer to the eye.

5 Jan 15, 2007 11:20

I have done as you advised and now have my pest control blog, it sounded complicated when you described it but when I sat down and looked into it it really was simple.

I have only done it with pest control so far but will be doing the same treatment to all my blogs as it does make the url look better.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Steve

6 Jan 15, 2007 13:36

pi-stoff wrote:

... it sounded complicated when you described it but when I sat down and looked into it it really was simple ...

That's a big problem with 'smart' program stuff. Something that seems complex and his hard to describe becomes easy once you know it. Like riding a unicycle while juggling.

Form is loading...