Recent Topics

1 Jan 20, 2007 16:36    

Okay, I know I have to be missing something easy, but for the life of me I can't find the setting to change.

I have four blogs, all of which I can access (write/edit) via my administrator login. I have created a second admin login for my husband, so he can login on his own so he can write to his own blog - however, he only has two of the blogs listed! I cannot figure out how to get all the blogs listed there (or conversely, how to just get his ONE blog listed there).

I don't see any different settings between my admin account and his, but there has to be since I can see all blogs and he only sees some of them. We both have level 10 administration.

UPDATE - I found this while clicking on every tabbed option...; it appears to do what I want - but I'm not entire sure why it's there (read on!):

1) Login as admin2 (his login)
2) Go to Blog Settings
3) Choose which blog to alter (they are all there)
4) Decide between User Permissions and Group Permissions

The thing that confuses me is that Admin (my login) was not selected on a bunch of them, although I know I had access to them before. But, when I added Admin2 (his login) to the permissions, then he was able to access them. I am soooooooo confused.

Any thoughts or suggestions or just information that might lessen my confusion?

ETA: ARGH! So I thought I knew what I was doing...so I went to take off some of the blogs hubby won't need access to....and I can't - unchecking what I just checked doesn't do what I thought it would. Hoo boy.

2 Jan 21, 2007 09:48

A long time ago I struggled against the same sort of issue. I hacked like crazy back then to make sure The Admin (ID #1) had full permissions everywhere AND those permissions could not be turned off. Doesn't really apply anymore though.

I'm afraid I don't have a perfect answer for you, but I have an idea that might get you going where you want to be. First, are both of you in the "Administrators" group? Some permissions are granted by the 'User permissions' and some by the 'Group permisions', with group generally over-riding the user. That means that whatever group you are both in needs to have only the most minimum permissions allowed for each blog. You would also then go in to each blog's User permissions to figure out who gets what. Common blogs get common permissions. Blogs each of you won't need to access for any reason are where you don't give the other person permission to play.

Anyway the biggie here is knowing that group perms usually over-ride individual perms. I think that's the way it is, but whatever it is you should both be in the same group and make the group settings low enough to not interfere with the individual user perms you want to establish.

Hope it helps!

3 Jan 21, 2007 14:18

Wow, I shouldn't try to read/understand that with a hangover, LOL!! I'll have to go back later today.... :)

4 Feb 02, 2007 21:52

I am so lost and at my wit's end with this. I have changed user permissions, group permissions, etc. and it's still messed up.

I have like 6 blogs total. I am an admin for ALL of them. I want a friend to be able to admin ONE of those blogs, so I made her an admin to that blog (or so I thought) and made her a NON-MEMBER for every other blog. Yet when she logs in, she sees FOUR of my blogs, including the one she should have...but why are the three others there? So I changed her to Privileged Blogger insetad, but everything still appears the same. She is SPECIFICALLY listed as Not A Member in the User Permissions for all the blogs that show up when she logs in.

ARGH!!

I just keep clicking options and hope something works! :)

5 Feb 02, 2007 22:01

AHA! I finally got it. It was a combination of the user and group settings, plus some other stuff I had messed up previously.

SOmetimes you just gotta talk through it...or complain and then it fixes itself!

Form is loading...