Recent Topics

1 Jan 26, 2007 03:08    

my blog site got shut down by my host recently, due to "excessive mysql db usage". They said it was using 100% of the CPU time on the server it was on 8|

It's just a simple little blog, and while I'd like to think it could attract that kind of traffic, HA. It gets very little "Legitimate" traffic. I know this must either be an outside job or there is a defect in the code.

Problem is, I dont' even know where to begin to look! Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated

2 Jan 26, 2007 14:19

Topdog,
What version of b2evolution are you using? Make sure it's 1.8.7 or greater. The older version had trouble with spam and could cause performance issues like that.

Danny

3 Jan 26, 2007 15:04

You might also begin to wonder if your host is the best available for your purposes, though personman is completely correct: older versions were really bad about how they handled spam. ANY customization you've done to your blog (hacks and skins) is nothing compared to the improvements you'll see by upgrading to 1.8.7.

4 Jan 27, 2007 21:28

Thanks for the suggestions. I was running a 0.9 something version. So I'm in the process of upgrading...now i just have to get the host to turn my site back on so I can do the upgrade!

I am curious why you recommend a different host. I use m6.net, and have been pretty happy with them. Especially for the cost! What would another host do differently?

5 Jan 27, 2007 21:54

It's such a rare issue - a host saying "you're using up the entire server" - that it sort of indicates (to me) that the host might not have good hardware for you to run on. I could be wrong, but it doesn't hurt to suggest it or to look around a bit.

As soon as I remember to I'm going to change hosts from the guys I've been using for ~5 years because even though there are no problems I've found I can get a heck of a lot more space and bandwidth for the same money. The next host has already shown to be just as reliable, so - despite no issues - it makes sense to move to a place that gives me a better deal.

6 Jan 28, 2007 00:09

If either of you want, I've got referal codes for Dreamhost that will save you some money. I've been pretty happy with their service and uptime. It's pretty hard to beat 180 GB storage for $8/month. But topdog, I'll be surprised if the upgrade doesn't fix your issues.

7 Jan 28, 2007 18:51

I had the capcha installed before, and it did wonders to cut down spam posts to the blog. Will I still need it in the new upgrade (I installed 1.9.2)? Will the old capcha still work?

8 Jan 28, 2007 19:14

There's a new captcha plugin here:
http://manual.b2evolution.net/Captcha_img_plugin

It's an actual plugin, so it's much easier to install than what you had before. I don't use it because I've found the new antispam measures to be quite effective. You can moderate comments, you can restrict them to registered users, etc. Make sure to enable the basic antispam plugin that comes with 1.9.2 and configure it.

9 Feb 03, 2007 22:06

Thanks Everybody!

I got 1.9.2 uploaded, skins reworked and everything is hunky dorey. I'll wait on adding the captcha till I see if I need it.

Is there anything in particular I need to do to enable the antispam? It looks okay when I click on the antispam tab in the admin.

Ya'll are awesome :D

http://www.everydogsblog.com

10 Feb 04, 2007 03:47

Great work. You may want to set up the built in scheduler to update your antispam list daily. Other than that you should be all set. Now you can take a look at plugins.b2evolution.net and add some bells and whistles if you want.

http://manual.b2evolution.net/Scheduler

Form is loading...