Recent Topics

1 Feb 01, 2007 13:17    

Hello,

I,m a swedish teacher and I need help to install the b2 platform on 5 of my websites.

I,m a new beginner regarding installations and I would appreciate all the help you can give me - of course I will pay for your help!

Been doing programming on b2, so that I will take care of myself - but the installations is needed.

Best regards
Jonathan
jonathan@Kulias.se

2 Feb 01, 2007 13:31

b2 and b2evolution have almost nothing in common, so don't expect b2 experience to help you with using or customizing or modifying b2evolution, but to get to your issue what type of help do you need with installing b2evolution? As long as you have connection info for a database it's really very simple to get this thing up and running.

Are you trying to upgrade a b2 installation to b2evolution? Are you trying to create entirely new installations? Either way it's easy, but knowing your task will make it easier to explain how to get it done.

3 Feb 01, 2007 13:48

Hello,

Thanks for reply with you questions...

What I need help with is creating a entirely new installation at a entirely new website.
I would like to have the same skin as this b2 skin, if its possible!

I,m very new at this so I really dont know the difference between b2 and b2evolution, I just need a platform where I can program my/our projects...

Best regards
Jonathan

4 Feb 01, 2007 14:20

Okay that's the easiest thing to do. First you need to have a database. I use a convoluted method where I let Fantastico build an installation, then I copy the new conf/_basic_config.php file to my PC, then edit that file in my NEW version of b2evolution to show the connection info, then delete all the files Fantastico made, then upload my NEW files.

Depending on your host, you might be able to create a database with one of the features on 'cpanel'. One of my hosts just now enabled that option, my other two hosts don't have it. All have Fantastico, so I do what I do.

Finally, you can probably just contact your host and have them create a database for you. Either way, you will need 4 pieces of information to put in your conf/_basic_config.php file:

$db_config = array(
	'user'          => 'demouser',     // your MySQL username
	'password'      => 'demopass',     // ...and password
	'name'          => 'b2evolution',  // the name of the database
	'host'          => 'localhost',    // MySQL Server (typically 'localhost')
);

A bit further down in the same file you will find a field for your domain name, then one for an admin email address. This address is rarely used, but needs to be a valid email for those rare occasions.

$baseurl = 'http://localhost/b2evolution/blogs/';

And:

$admin_email = 'postmaster@localhost';

Finally scroll down a bit further and change $config_is_done from 0 to 1.

BTW I'm assuming you downloaded b2evolution's latest version and unzipped it on your PC.

Now you can upload all the files in your unzipped package to the appropriate path on your server. Your unzipped copy will contain 3 folders and a bunch of files in the root directory. The only thing you really need to upload is the contents of the "blogs" folder, which needs to go to the path you want. This means that if your path will be "domain.com" you will upload the stuff IN the blogs folder to the root level of your server space. If you want the blog to appear at "domain.com/blogs" then create "blogs" folder on your server and upload the contents of the unzipped blogs to the blogs folder on your server.

At this point you should be able to go to "domain.com/path_if_any/install/index.php" and run it. It will ask you if this is a new installation or an upgrade. For you it will be a new installation, so check that radio button and click "install" (or whatever the button actually says). When it is done building your database for you it will tell you that "admin" has been created with the password "RANDOM_CHARACTERS", so note that password and click where it says you can log in.

Celebrate! Sing! Dance! Make Merry!

Next you'll get confused beyond belief by all the stuff in the back office (the admin area), which is why I suggest celebrating before getting too deep into it. As an educator I'm sure you understand everyone has to go through a learning curve to be comfortable with *whatever*. This application is no different. Great strides have been made to make it easier and easier for the user, but it's a very complex application and therefore can not be made as dumb-friendly as something like blogspot. So give it some time to learn the new thing. Spend an hour or two tinkering. Click everything and wonder what it means. READ ALL THE DEFAULT POSTS!!! Eventually you'll feel you have it understood, so now guess what you get to do again?

I love it when you can celebrate having just celebrated!

Oh don't forget to delete your "domain.com/path_if_any/install" folder. If you don't flying evil monkeys will poop on your parade AND malicious individuals could gain access to your blog and do malicious things.

Plus by the way I think you can chmod the conf/_basic_config.php to something and edit it after uploading. Since I never do that I can't speak to the method, but I'm sure it's possible.

------------------

1.9.2 - the latest version available - has the "originalb2" skin available, so yeah: you can select that if that's what you meant by the same skin. If you mean the skin used by b2evolution.net I'm afraid the answer is "no". b2evolution wants their skin to remain their skin, and is therefore not publicly available.

------------------

BTW you might want to use 1.8.7 while waiting for an irritating bug in 1.9.2 to be fixed. This is particularly true if you will have multiple bloggers with differing permissions in different blogs. If it's going to be only you coordinating the work of many people then 1.9.2 would be a better choice.

Form is loading...