Recent Topics

1 Feb 03, 2007 19:49    

I am running b2evo 1.8.6, and I am trying to customize the look of my site (http://pubhousedialogues.com), especially on the individual blog pages. For the Curmudgeon blog, I am trying to customize the wpc_zen skin. I know that this skin has been minimized to help it maintain functionality as a wpc crossover, but I was wondering if it is possible to add some functions back to this skin, namely:
-the blog roll (the list of the other blogs at the site)
-the linkblog, and
-the rss/atom chicklets.

I've tried (in the case of the blog roll and link blog) to install the code as indicated in the 'create a new skin' wiki article, but this hasn't yielded success for me so far.

If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

2 Feb 03, 2007 23:54

I'm not familiar with the wpc_zen skin, but all skins are (generally) served from a _main.php file from their respective folders.

If you want to ADD code (functionality) to a particular page, it's a matter of editing the _main.php file and inserting the proper code in the proper location (with the proper styling, if necessary, also in a corresponding CSS file).

Last I checked, bloglist (which, I think, is what you're calling a blogroll) was a plugin. Most plugins require that they be "installed" from the back office and a number of them (which dictate an appearance of SOMETHING in your skin, which could appear in a number of places) require code ALSO be inserted into your skin (i.e., called a "skintag").

I'm sure we can get you where you want to be.

3 Feb 04, 2007 00:00

Hmmm ... a quick look at your page shows an (already) very long right column. (Looks like you got the linkblog sorted?).

Might want to consider utilizing more space on the left column.

4 Feb 04, 2007 00:43

stk-
Thanks for responding. The blog using the wpc_zen skin is the Curmudgeon blog, http://www.pubhousedialogues.com/index.php?blog=3 , and its right hand column could easily use more content, such as the bloglist and linkblog.

I'll get the code to add for the bloglist from the wiki article here on creating a skin, and put it in the _main.php file, then look to see what needs to happen to the css file.

5 Feb 04, 2007 01:04

Ah ... right. The sidebar is a tad bare. ;)

I thought the bloglist was a plugin, but this isn't so. (It's basically a PHP file that is associated with a particular skin).

I downloaded the wpc_zen skin and noted that it does NOT ship with a "bloglist.php" file.

What you could do, is steal one from another skin, copy it to your skin folder, modify your _main.php file to include it ... then style it to be what you want.

6 Feb 04, 2007 01:08

urm ... here ... (stolen from basic skin) ... create a _bloglist.php file in your wpc_zen skin folder and stuff the following PHP code into it):

Note: you can modify some of the parameters contained in the file

<?php
	/**
	 * This is the template that displays the links to the available blogs
	 * This file is not meant to be called directly.
	 * It is meant to be called by an include in the _main.php template.
	 * b2evolution - {@link http://b2evolution.net/}
	 * Released under GNU GPL License - {@link http://b2evolution.net/about/license.html}
	 * @copyright (c)2003-2006 by Francois PLANQUE - {@link http://fplanque.net/}
	 * @package evoskins
	 * @subpackage basic
	 */
	if( !defined('EVO_MAIN_INIT') ) die( 'Please, do not access this page directly.' );

if( ! $display_blog_list )
	{	// We do *not* want the blog list to be displayed
		return;
	}

# this is what will start and end your blog links
	if(!isset($blog_list_start)) $blog_list_start = T_('Select blog:').' ';
	if(!isset($blog_list_end)) $blog_list_end = '<br />';
	# this is what will separate your blog links
	if(!isset($blog_item_start)) $blog_item_start = ' [';
	if(!isset($blog_item_end)) $blog_item_end = '] ';
	# This is the class of for the selected blog link:
	if(!isset($blog_selected_link_class)) $blog_selected_link_class = '';
	# This is the class of for the other blog links:
	if(!isset($blog_other_link_class)) $blog_other_link_class = '';
	# This is additionnal markup before and after the selected blog name
	if(!isset($blog_selected_name_before)) $blog_selected_name_before = '<strong>';
	if(!isset($blog_selected_name_after)) $blog_selected_name_after = '</strong>';
	# This is additionnal markup before and after the other blog names
	if(!isset($blog_other_name_before)) $blog_other_name_before = '';
	if(!isset($blog_other_name_after)) $blog_other_name_after = '';
	# This is the blogparam that will be displayed as the name:
	if(!isset($blog_name_param)) $blog_name_param = 'shortname';
	# This is the blogparam that will be displayed as the link title:
	if(!isset($blog_title_param)) $blog_title_param = 'name';

/**
	 * We now call the default bloglist handler...
	 * However you can replace this file with the full handler (in /blogs) and customize it!
	 */
	require $skins_path.'_bloglist.php';

?>

Then, in your wpc_zen _main.php file, find your sidebar section (should be commented and recognizable) ... add the following:

<?php
	/**
	 * --------------------------- BLOG LIST INCLUDED HERE -----------------------------
	 */
	require( dirname(__FILE__).'/_bloglist.php' );
	// ---------------------------------- END OF BLOG LIST ---------------------------------
	?>

This should (at least) list the blogs and get you going. (minus styling)

7 Feb 04, 2007 03:04

Yay! Yes, that tip about getting the bloglist.php file worked. I had been *really* wanting that up and running- all the other blogs had it, and it just seems proper to include it. Thanks!

8 Feb 04, 2007 04:12

Nick,

It's the same deal with the linkblog ... the only difference is that the file is ALREADY in your zen skins folder and all you have to do is uncomment the linkblog code in the _main.php file for it to show up.

<?php // -------------------------- LINKBLOG INCLUDED HERE -----------------------------
		//require( dirname(__FILE__).'/_linkblog.php' );
		// -------------------------------- END OF LINKBLOG ---------------------------------- ?>

(assume you know, so sorry for being over-thorough ... remove the "//" at the beginning of the REQUIRE line.)

9 Feb 04, 2007 07:06

I was really wondering why the linkblog wasn't coming up. I'd cut and repaste, I'd try it in several locations, I was stumped. I never noticed that the linkblog was in comment form. *sigh* I am really not as dense as I seem from this thread.

Thanks

10 Feb 04, 2007 07:26

Nick,

No worries. If I wrote up all the "doh's!" I said, while working with b2evo, I'd have a novel length comparable to anything Tolstoy has written (just not the same quality).

(And NO COMMENTS from Yabba ... who'd be my "editor" in this little fantasy.) :roll:

Form is loading...