Recent Topics

1 Feb 07, 2007 21:51    

I would like to use b2evolution for my entire home page, not just the blog portion of it. In other words, I'd like to use b2evolution as a content management system (CMS). Is there a standard way of doing this?

What I would like most is the ability to display a particular blog not in the usual way, but instead as an index of blog entries, with the blog author (me) able to specify any sort order he wishes. One blog would then correspond to one article, and the blog entries would be the sections of the article. This is pretty much all that would be required in order to use b2evolution for hierarchical help systems, long articles that are split into multiple pages, and the like. Some extra features like "up" and "next" buttons could be simulated manually by adding material to each blog entry, or, better, support could be added in b2evolution later (if it isn't already there).

2 Feb 08, 2007 14:40

I did a project that used b2evolution like a CMS. I put some notes in the wiki:

http://manual.b2evolution.net/CMS

Please feel free to expand and edit those notes if you like. The only way I know of to manipulate the sort order would be to manually edit the post dates. If you're not showing the post dates int he skin, then you can use that to set your order.

3 Feb 08, 2007 18:42

Nice.

Can a skin display actual blogs using dates, and the static content without using dates? That way the same skin could be used for the whole site.

4 Feb 08, 2007 18:44

Sure, just check the $blog number and show dates and whatever other metadata you want for the appropriate blogs. There are also Post Types, which could, in theory be used to handle this distinction, but I've never really tried. The easiest thing might be to divide your content up using different blogs.

5 Feb 08, 2007 19:39

Aah. Yeah, that is what I was planning to do - one blog per major section, and one blog per major article. Is there some field in a blog that one can naturally use to discern which of the two types of blogs is being used (static content or true blog content [dynamic])? I can imagine admin-defined blog attributes that could be set on a per-blog basis but maybe there is something simple albeit less clean (a custom entry like [static] in the Notes field?) that could be done in lieu of that.

Form is loading...