Recent Topics

1 Apr 26, 2004 00:20    

Hello All;

I'm getting a 500 Internal Server Error, but only on files in the root (blogs) directory: index.php, multipblog.php, etc. All other pages (admin, backoffice) seem to work fine.

I've read through the other post about this error, and I have deleted both .htaccess files. Didn't work, I still get the error.

TIA

2 Jul 10, 2004 00:01

While I have b2evo working fine on my home site, I am getting this 500 internal server error at another server I was trying to install it on.

After the install completed successfully the Admin/login page would not come up.

So, I chmod 755 all the .php files in ../blogs/admin and it worked and allowed me to log in.

I'm able to make all sorts of changes to the blogs from the backoffice but when I click Exit to blogs I get the 500 Internal Server Error again.

So, I chmod 755 all the .php files in ../blogs but this time that doesn't solve anything.

So, I search on the forums and find references to deleting the .htacces file and to making sure the right directory with no trailing slash is listed in _config.php. I do those things, but still no luck.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Brian

3 Jul 11, 2004 20:45

Ask your host to see the errorlog, or if you have CPanel, you can view it yourself, and see what the real problem is.

"Error 500" basically means "Something is wrong." It could be an infinite mod_rewrite loop, turning on an apache module that's already turned on by default, or any number of other server-side things. Without the errorlog, it's hard to tell what caused it, short of just looking at the last time it worked, and what changed since then.

4 Jul 12, 2004 20:06

This internal 500 error message appears when installing B2E on a machine with PHPSUEXEC enabled.

PHPSUEXEC is quite annoying - but it's feasable that it's more safer installed than not (but there's other comments that could be made about this - so no more of this)

Perhaps b2e could adjust? more and more servers are enabling PHPSUEXEC since it requires all files be chmodded to 755 instead of 777 or something...

i forgot where i found this info, but i'm having problems installing b2e as well...

5 Jul 12, 2004 22:13

just wanted to update my exploration inside phpsuexec and b2evo:

all php files MUST be chmod to 755 (u+rwx,go+r-wx) or else you will get error 500 each time.

surfing through the php and trying to figure out which files need which, i think all css, images, etc need to be chmod to 755 as well (or 555, which is ugo+r-wx)...

this is frustratingly confusing since phpsuexec blocks all other users from accessing the files, and also gives php file access with the owner's permissions only :| help please? :) I still don't got it working... perhaps I missed a few things?

*oh, jsut remembered, folders are REQUIRED to be chmodded too I think, I will go back to research.*

7 Jul 12, 2004 22:46

after chmodding my directories to 755, it worked (administrative section) but some parts were still broken (Admin link which goes to b2edit.php in ./b2einstallfolder/admin)

Help would be nice :D

8 Jul 12, 2004 22:48

jtruchon wrote:

Hello All;

I've read through the other post about this error, and I have deleted both .htaccess files. Didn't work, I still get the error.

TIA

Oh, I was wondering about that, some said to rename your .htaccess to php.ini or something (what my admin first told me to do, no go) and it didn't work. I kept my .htaccess and it's all working still, after chmodding the dirs - yet some things are still broken... let's hope someone else can assist :)

9 Jul 12, 2004 23:25

While I don't know how to help you, I can tell you why renaming .htaccess to php.ini didn't work. php.ini is the file that controls all of your php functions on the server (unless you actually own the server, chances are your host won't even let you near it), and .htaccess is a more local way of controling apache, usually to control a few directories or files.

10 Jul 12, 2004 23:34

And, since no php installation in the world will probably ever look in your public_html folder for the php.ini folder (that would probably be beyond crazy and stupid, to some realm of insane stuposity that there are no words for), renaming htaccess to php.ini is equivalent to just deleting the file, or renaming it to "monkiesInLove.txt" or something.

11 Jul 13, 2004 02:47

ok,disregard the php.ini and .htaccess - i've gotten b2evo fully working :) i missed a few php files in the admin folder, and now it's all working fine :) just make sure you chmod 755 *.php (in folders as well) and chmod 755 all folders and subfolders that contain php files in them :)

Case closed. :D

12 Jul 13, 2004 04:56

Would it be possible, I wonder, to make the installer script chmod these things to 755?

13 Jul 13, 2004 21:27

now that I think about it, i dunno if you can, since chmodding is a pretty high level command :|

14 Jul 27, 2004 20:35

yanger wrote:

ok,disregard the php.ini and .htaccess - i've gotten b2evo fully working :) i missed a few php files in the admin folder, and now it's all working fine :) just make sure you chmod 755 *.php (in folders as well) and chmod 755 all folders and subfolders that contain php files in them :)

Case closed. :D

This works like a charm. Why don't they add this to the install doc? I spent several hours trying to figure this out! THanks!

15 Jul 27, 2004 22:41

Any host that uses phpsuexec needs shot. it causes WAY too many problems. Also tbh, it isnt actually that secure either. Also, with the likes of php's shared memory access, things can get very messy on a phpsuexec system. also the "others can read your php files" still exists anyway! your direcotrys have to be readable by the webserver (even when the User / Group paramaters are set for the VirtualHost) and with the likes of a simple perl / python script they can read tehm as well..... if you don't want people to read your files.......... use zend encoder or similar!
Sorry but i am the anti phpsuexec, and also anti cgiwrap

Also Just FYI users can access their error log in CPanel in "Web/FTP Logs" and then Error Logs

Form is loading...