Recent Topics

1 Mar 24, 2007 09:29    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

how do you get rid of the 'search' and 'misc' etc boxed in the right column?

:)

3 Mar 24, 2007 10:23

yup, thanks, now i searched the forums from the link you sent, and found this... (written to someone else)
"Ok, I can walk you through the changes. First, open up /skins/[the skin you're using]/_main.php in a text editor. You'll probably need to download it with your ftp client first. Once you've made your changes, save it and upload it back to the server. Skim through the _main.php file and you should see lots of comments. Those are the lines that begin with "//". Read the comments and they'll tell you what each bit of code does. Find the sidebar section, then find the bits in that section that you want to remove and delete them."

i don't actually understand what to do, because i've never done this before. but i'm willing to try and learn. i also sent the info to my friend who's helping me. where do i find to open up the first thing he writes? the 'skins'? i know what skins are, but when i click on the skins folder i just get the selection of what skin i want, not anything about changing it...
anyone care to break the above info down into baby steps for me?

5 Mar 24, 2007 10:33

You've done well allready: you found the good texts in the help files and the forum.

On your host B2e has installed files. You want to edit these files.
The skins are stored in a folder: ../blogs/skins/. In this folder you find subdirs. For each skin a subdit. Pick the subdit for the skin you are using. If you use the skin 'custom' you goto the subdir 'custom'.

In this subdit you find a file called _ main.php. Open this file (dowload it and open it with an editor like notepad) and read the comments till you hit search and misc.

7 Mar 24, 2007 11:11

okay. miraculously, or rather thanks to your instructions, i've managed to get into the right page! now i'm not sure exactly where to cut, without ruinĂ­ng things.

8 Mar 24, 2007 11:27

oh my goodness! i've managed to remove most of it! wow. THANKS.

9 Mar 24, 2007 11:27

bonni please don't post huge chunks of files like that, unless it's something no one has seen before. Like a new feature you've written. For stuff that's part of the official distribution everyone already knows what it looks like, or where to find it.

Plus using the "code" button helps keep the forms tidy :D

As Afwas has indicated, it's a matter of editing the files that make your blog happen. So now that you're in the right area give it a read (even though it's code!) and see how much of it sort of makes sense. For example here's a bit you can probably figure has something to do with making the 'archives' section of your sidebar:

<?php
      // -------------------------- ARCHIVES INCLUDED HERE -----------------------------
      // Call the Archives plugin:
      /*
       * see http://doc.b2evolution.net/v-1-9/plugins/archives_plugin.html#methodSkinTag
       */
      $Plugins->call_by_code( 'evo_Arch', array(   // Add parameters below:
         ) );
      // -------------------------------- END OF ARCHIVES ----------------------------------
   ?>

Don't have to know what it's doing to figure out where the beginning and end of the archives thing is eh?

Always backup your work before you edit something! Like for example open a file in your editor and save it as "whatever_NO_CARCHIVE.php", then upload that and rename it to what it was on your server. That way you'll always have a working copy available just in case an edit goes wrong.

10 Mar 24, 2007 11:58

okay, yes i erased that long post. i see what you mean.

okay great. now i'd like to remove the little flag that says what language i've written it, the 'edit' and all that other stuff... where are the instructions for that?

:)

Form is loading...