Recent Topics

1 Apr 02, 2007 18:50    

My b2evolution Version: 0.9.x

This will seem like an odd question, and I hope that this is the right forum for it... can I change the date range limit so that I can create posts with a date older than 1969?

As to why I'd want to do such a thing: I want to create a large online timeline of events. I've been told that this is possible in a couple of CMS packages, like PostNuke, but it will take time and work to configure the appropriate modules. There's a good chance, though, that I will be able to achieve what I want with blog software - and especially B2evolution because of it's ability to have nested hierarchies of categories. This will allow users to view just portions of the timeline by clicking on years, months, and keywords (as categories).

This timeline goes back well before 1969, though. Fortunately I don't have any dates going back to B.C., but they do go back to 306 currently. Is there any sort of change I can make in B2evolution, or is this perhaps a function of MySQL?

2 Apr 02, 2007 18:58

If you can get it beyond 1969 then you'll end up in trouble before the year 1000. The MySQL database uses datetime for the date of the posts and datetime:

The DATETIME type is used when you need values that contain both date and time information. MySQL retrieves and displays DATETIME values in 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS' format. The supported range is '1000-01-01 00:00:00' to '9999-12-31 23:59:59'.

according to the MySQL specs.

Good luck

3 Apr 02, 2007 19:14

Thanks, Afwas. You've not only explained why B2evolution won't do what I'd like it to do, but you've shown that even the CMS software won't do it either. Even after getting various modules configured and running, I'll still need to use a DATE field in order to organize events chronologically (an obvious requirement for a timeline). Unfortunately, the DATE type has the same year-1000 restriction as the DATETIME type.

I'll only be able to use a CMS package for the timeline if I can store the date in a field other than a DATE field. That may be possible, but it will lead headaches I'm sure.

Grrr...

Form is loading...