Recent Topics

1 Apr 21, 2007 22:58    

For some reason, no matter how I seem to adjust the user permissions for "Priviledged Bloggers", when they log into the back-office to create a new thread, the default "Write" tab comes up, but only shows two of the three active categories available. The only way they are able to access the third category is to hit the Post tab, scroll to the bottom and hit [new Post]. This wouldnt be so bad, the people I am dealing with are typically complete n00bs and I am trying to simplify things as much as possible. Any way to adjust this? My categories are: Community blog 1 all (default) Services blog 2 blog A Products blog 3 blog B Partners blog 4 links At login: For Admin---Community, Services and Products categories all show up Priviledged---Products and Partners catagories only show (Services absent) I have fiddled with the user permissions a LOT, to no avail...Any insight or help would greatly be appreciated! cheers Eric

2 Apr 22, 2007 00:56

Pls provide a bit more - as you work through the issue that blocked you. For example you version of b2evolution and the skin you're using.

Oh and I'm not sure but there seems to be an issue with "blogs" versus "categories". Do these other bloggers have permission to post in blog #2? Does blog #2 have categories assigned to it? It's a bit weird to grasp, but posts actually go in categories which are assigned to blogs, but we give perms to bloggers based on blog number.

Anyway throw down a couple of replies and wait a few days and everything will more or less probably work.

3 Apr 22, 2007 03:51

EdB. I went ahead and sent you a PM since i got "spammy-d" again trying to post the answers to your queries.

I hope I provided you with all the information you needed. Please let me know if I didn't and thanks again! /cheers

4 Apr 22, 2007 04:42

Ive told you what the problem word is (PRODUCTS) -- whats the difficulty you seem to be having with ommitting THAT word from your posts?

5 Apr 22, 2007 05:34

Yeah?!?!

Much better to follow whoo's advice than to PM me because I delete PMs I didn't ask for. Maybe that's not cool of me, but since I rarely ask for PMs and get a lot of them asking for various helps ... and I'm not here for my own health ... questions in public that I can answer I will. Private questions are a different issue eh?

Anyway spec out the question to the best of your ability. Given that there is a "bad" word (short term situation!) in your question simply avoid it to the best of your abilities.

Spammers sell products, quite frequently by including that in their URL or initial post.

6 Apr 24, 2007 03:00

The difficulty is that I misunderstood your request, I guess I read it too quickly and thought you were saying I needed to put that word in "quotations" (like that). Apparently, that's not what you said at all... /sigh. I was just trying to provide useful information and that is the name of one of the blogs... sorry.

As concisely as I can put it:
When logging into back office, at default Write tab...
Admin sees: Blog A , Blog B , Links
Bloggers see: only Blog B and Links

What I want is for priv'd bloggers to see Blog A and Blog B only as the default at login to back office. They have no need to see links. I have played with the permission levels a ton , and seem to be missing something obvious. Right now the priv'd bloggers are ID2, set to full access, level 10, still only see blog B and links...

Thanks for any insight, and sorry for the misunderstanding.

7 Apr 24, 2007 12:01

Maybe the following contributes to that:

The general approach with wich I succeeded in a setting with about 20 individual and group blogs with different write/read access is to create groups, assign users to them and set the group rights on each blog only.

To be more detailed:

You have blog A, blog B, blog C and blog Links

In the backoffice, go to the user-tab, create a group „Privileged Bloggers“.
Set the properties – especially: blogs = „user permissions“ and the others. Didn‘t you write you want it simple? So be restrictive here, but think about the media directories.

Then assign all your individual privileged users to that group. (If u have other users with the same rights on another blog, put them in a group)

Now, go to the blog settings tab, select blog A, go to the User permissions subtab and be sure to clear all individual user permissions of your privileged users, if you have already assigned any (check with advanced view)
Then go to the group permissions tab, change to the advanced view. Make your „Privileged Bloggers“ group a member of this blog an give it the rights you want.

Do the same with blog B. As a result your privileged users will be able to write on both A and B.

Now go to Blog C and Blog Links an check that the „Prev. Bloggers“ group is NOT a member.

The final result should be, that your privileged users will be able to write on Blog A and Blog B, but not on C and Links. In the Write tab, they will see Blog A and B, but Blog C and Blog Links will not be listed, because only those blogs are listed here on which users are allowed to write. The same on the Posts tab. I'm not quite shure, but I think that you will see all blogs you are member of on this tab.

That's just what I did and it worked perfectly well. Hope I didn‘t forget anything. Maybe you have to "reset" all your tons of user permissions play garbage ;) to get a clean start.

Good luck, kw

(small edit to make things clearer)

8 Apr 25, 2007 00:11

Thanks a lot, kallewirsch :D Works great now!

For some reason, I didn't catch that you could set priv's individually for each blog--n00bie mistake. :oops: When I was at the Blog Settings tab and was fiddling with individual user permissions and saw "General group permissions override the media folder permissions defined here", for some reason I thought that mean that if I set the group permissions correctly, it would be applied universally to all blogs--apparently not.

Problem solved, working great now.

My only wish was that the "Can post/edit with following statuses:" option could be separated so that you could set a priv'd blogger to be able to creat original threads without being able to edit other's posts as well. Is this possible to do? Even if it is not, this is an awesome program, and I'm glad to be able to use it. Thanks again!

/cheers ;)
eric

9 Apr 25, 2007 22:44

My only wish was that the "Can post/edit with following statuses:" option could be separated so that you could set a priv'd blogger to be able to creat original threads without being able to edit other's posts as well. Is this possible to do?

As far as I understand rights in b2e, it is not. I was seeking for that too. B2e doesn't seem to have a fully developed concept of ownership on the level of individual entries (luckily, its a weblog, not a CMS). But I'm not really an expert, just advanced user of some other systems.

ciao, kw

10 Apr 25, 2007 22:57

kallewirsch is quite correct, though out of politeness I describe the issue a bit differently. b2evolution is a collaborative blog app, meaning anyone who can post/edit in blog N can post/edit anything in blog N. Same end result though: it doesn't let you and you alone own your posts.

I have a way of doing it that requires hacking core files - I create my own hooks then use them in a plugin. I should get off my lazy butt and write it up as a "plugin that requires hacking" because to many people this is the biggest weakness of b2evolution.

BTW if I get something published it will NOT be the best possible answer. It will NOT, for example, let BloggerBob edit only his works while letting BloggerBetty edit her works as well as BloggerBob's. It'll be like an on/off switch for the collaborative nature of b2evolution.

11 Apr 26, 2007 19:25

Apologies for my unpoliteness, EdB, I'm not always master of my english ;)

the collaborative nature of b2evolution

This is exactly what I understood to be the reason for the not "fully developed concept of ownership on the level of individual entries".

12 Apr 27, 2007 00:02

No worries friend! I did not mean to imply you were not polite - just sort of saying "ouch" for the guys who wrote the code because it's something they're a bit proud of. If one wants a collaborative CMS app this is certainly the place to be eh? So anyway I say "stupid code" as nicely as I can ;)

13 May 11, 2007 07:02

just checking back in on the ownership issues-- thanks you two for the further clarification, much appreciated.

Form is loading...