Recent Topics

1 May 09, 2007 23:33    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hello,

I am changing to this blog system after using simplephp blog.

Though having got parts 1 and 2 of the install instructions, I seem to be stuck on #3
I can't seem to make sense of exactly what to edit and where. I did get into the basic_confic.php, but then just seemed to miss clarity
Any help would be appreciated as I want to get this up and working.

TIA,javascript:emoticon(':-/')
Confused
Kent

3. Once you've uploaded all the files you can set the permissions of certain key files using your ftp software. Assuming your b2evo is installed under /blogs. Here's what you would need to change:
* chmod 666 /blogs/conf/_basic_config.php (_config.php before version 1.8) if you want the installer to be able to automatically update your config based on your input.
* chmod 777 /blogs to allow creation of blog stub files from the admin interface or to generate static pages for your blogs.
* chmod 777 /blogs/media in order to upload images and other media from b2evo's backoffice.
* chmod 666 /blogs/skins/custom/* if you want to use the template editor for the custom skin. :-/

2 May 10, 2007 00:47

Step 3 tells you to use your FTP program to change permissions (chmod) certain files to certain settings if you want to do certain things.

Do you already have a database to stick b2evolution into? You need the files (which you've got) and a database. Assuming you've got a database to use you will need to know the database password, the username for that database, and maybe the database name. Yeah: all three of those. Plus "localhost" which it defaults to so that's an easy one.

Anyway using your FTP program find your conf/_basic_config.php file and change permissions (chmod) it to 666. You check or uncheck boxes to make the numbers change. One box is worth 1, the next is worth 2, and the third is worth 4. That's a maximum of 7 eh? So you use the 9 boxes to make 3 6s.

Now go to yourdomain/yourpath/install/index.php and you should be able to tell b2evolution the login connection info for your database. After you do that it will install all the tables and stuff it needs to become your blog engine.

3 May 19, 2007 07:03

Anyway using your FTP program find your conf/_basic_config.php file and change permissions (chmod) it to 666. You check or uncheck boxes to make the numbers change. One box is worth 1, the next is worth 2, and the third is worth 4. That's a maximum of 7 eh? So you use the 9 boxes to make 3 6s.

Hello, I'm new to b2evo, but I really like what I see so far. It seems I have it installed properly, except that I get this error when I click on "Files".

* The blog's media directory «media/blogs/a/» could not be created, because the parent directory is not writable or does not exist.
    * The blog's media directory «media/blogs/b/» could not be created, because the parent directory is not writable or does not exist.
    * The blog's media directory «media/blogs/links/» could not be created, because the parent directory is not writable or does not exist.
    * You don't have access to any root directory.

I tried to follow your directions through my ftp client. I went to blogs/conf/_basic_config.php and changed _basic_config.php's permissions to 666. I still get the error when I click on "Files". I'm a noob at all unix/code! Thanks in advance for any help!

4 May 19, 2007 08:54

That file gets permissions set so you can edit it while installing b2evolution. In the original post in this thread look at the third * in item #3 to see what you got to do to be able to create media directories so you can upload stuff.

Form is loading...