Recent Topics

1 May 22, 2007 09:47    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

I understand that people can subscribe via RSS or whatever to my blogs. What I don't entirely understand is what then happens in the statistics. I have 3 blogs (listed in my sig below) and I will give one as an example, "Just Thinking" where I have made 22 posts of articles. The stats listed at present for totals since 31-Jan-07 are:

Summary:
Direct Accesses 1548
Referers 1402
Refering Searches 51
Blacklisted 569 (this is badly named)
Total 3570

Then under syndication it says:
Total RSS hits: 6306

I understand the Summary part, but I'm not sure about the RSS.
Does this mean that in total 6306 articles were accessed by people via RSS?
Does each person automatically receive each new article?
When I make a new post it doesn't suddenly change, so does that mean that they haven't yet used their email program access or whatever?
Will each person ultimately get each post if they connect to the internet and use their RSS program?

To get the number of people syndicated, can I divide the 6306 total by 22 posts or by maybe 11 as some people have joined along the way?
Or, is there some way to find out how many people are actually signed up for my RSS feed for each blog?

2 May 22, 2007 16:21

Syndication hits are counted the same way regular page hits are counted: each time the page it generated it increments the counter. In syndication it means something different though because an aggregator will pull the page each time someone who has subscribed asks their aggregator to see if you have any new posts.

So someone could refresh their aggregator 4 times a day, thus generating the page 4 times, but they don't read anything because the aggregator tells them there is nothing new. It has to pull the page to compare it to what it knows you've read in order to tell them that, and in the process your syndication count goes up.

3 May 23, 2007 02:22

Thanks EdB, so should I interpret that as meaning taht the syndication hits are of next to no use?

One thing that has nagged me for a little while about RSS is what it does to search engine popularity. If the internet community is equally often reading one page by RSS and another directly, will the search engines have a clue about that? Or will the page read frequently by RSS get downgraded in popularity for having fewer direct hits?

4 May 23, 2007 04:00

RTomes wrote:

Thanks EdB, so should I interpret that as meaning taht the syndication hits are of next to no use?

One thing that has nagged me for a little while about RSS is what it does to search engine popularity. If the internet community is equally often reading one page by RSS and another directly, will the search engines have a clue about that? Or will the page read frequently by RSS get downgraded in popularity for having fewer direct hits?

Im no expert with this, but here's how I understand it.

The hits will help you determine if there are Feed hits for your blog. Not to be interpreted as "read hits" or "unique hits" and the like but more on determining the percentage of Feed requests.

The more feed requests that are logged, the larger the possibility that you have lots of readers.

It is true that refreshing a feed put the hit count up. But do consider that a single person will only refresh when it is his/her reading time and that's like 2 to 3 times a day. I don't think anyone will get 10 people who refreshes your feed every hour, unless you are running a FIFO contest or something :p

Then regarding the search engines, the top 3 SEs created a separate index for feeds, one reason is that before feeds affect SE positioning, or ranking in the results. So with it now separate, the main search area will not produce feed links/results. With that move, feeds do not affect your SE ranking BUT feeds do help in getting your freshest post to the main SE.

With my recent tests, because my feeds are indexed by Google, when I post something new, it will take only 20 minutes the most for my new post to appear on the main search of Google. Unlike before, it may take 24 to 48 hours before a new post appears on the SEs, unless your site is really popular.

Hope that helps... and correct me if I'm wrong :p

5 May 23, 2007 06:14

Is there something that you had to do for google to index your feed?

Form is loading...